Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Mitch's 400+ gallon build

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Krazie4Acans View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krazie4Acans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2016 at 11:31am
Ok, if the top tank is resting on the bottom tank then you should be good. I just saw a picture with a half suspended tank and almost choked. :)

Good answer on the sump question. I was just wondering why it was up in the air and off to the side. Let me know when you want to get together. I've got some time this week/weekend with this whole holiday thing going on.
My ocean.
90g (yup, won it!), 40g, 28g, & 10g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
Tank Thread:
immortal View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote immortal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2016 at 5:17pm
Can't wait to see how it turns out Smile
Immortal
phys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2016 at 11:34pm
is it finished yet? goooooooooooooosssshhhhhh. lol
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krazie4Acans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2016 at 7:18am
He still doesn't have a tank yet. lol I think he may be changing up his sump/frag setup a little. Or that's what a little bird told me.
My ocean.
PADI Advanced Open Water
Tank Thread:
Trevor40 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trevor40 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2016 at 4:00pm
Looks awesome. I also have a dream tank that involves building the living area around the tank.
Call or Text (801)834-3119
backwards32 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backwards32 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2016 at 4:01pm
Made some great progress this week. I picked up a 120 gallon tank from Dennis with the bottom glass of the tank broken. using glass he gave me I cut it to size and repaired the bottom pane. a few days later i cut all the baffles and got them installed.

Also you may notice the sump stand is lower. after doing some more designing with jeff it was determined it needed to be lower for some of the plumbing to work.

The two section tanks needed the ends repaired because I had cut them in half. so I got some acrylic and tried my luck at repairing these two tanks. I have never done acrylic before so we will see how this goes.

wednesday I will be doing a water check to make sure the tanks actualy hold water haha. keep your fingers crossed.
Fish Food Direct
Great Food for half the price
801-721-0671
call or text me anytime

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backwards32 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2016 at 10:55pm
Ok time for an update. Jeff came over and helped me with a few design ideas. One of the things we decided needed to happen was to lower the sump closer to the ground so all the drain lines would work a little better.

I got all the baffles installed and will be drilling the side of the tank for my external pump. my kids really wanted to sit in the tank and it also gives a goof reference for how big this thing is.

So I bought a water changing system from Landon which was perfect because I had plans of making one just like this. so I got it all plumbed in and ready to go.

well next step is to fix a few electrical lines and do all the finish plumbing and get this baby filled up.
Fish Food Direct
801-721-0671
call or text me anytime

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backwards32 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2017 at 8:04pm
Made some good progress today. I put plywood on the back wall so that way i can screw things in wherever I want. I also installed my shelf where alot of my reactors and things will go.    got the sump light installed and got some macro. the sump and quarantine tank is now up and running. now its time to get my apex all set up and all the reactors running.

Now that we have about 100 gallons of water at a low accessible level it was time to install a door to keep the kids out.

more update to come soon
Fish Food Direct
801-721-0671
call or text me anytime
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krazie4Acans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2017 at 1:40pm
It's been a long time since you updated.
My ocean.
PADI Advanced Open Water
Tank Thread:

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backwards32 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2017 at 2:50pm
OK its time for an update. I have been working really hard at getting this tank going there is just so much background house work that has to be done first. over the past month or so I have been working on doing tile on the floor so the tank has something solid to sit on.

as you can see we also decided to knock down another wall that was by the stairs going to the basement and put up a railing instead to further open up the kitchen. here is another pic with the tile all finished

ok another project that is all happening at the same time was removing the old sliding glass door and moving it 6 feet over to a new location. so the whole back of the house was removed for a short period of time.

Fish Food Direct
801-721-0671
call or text me anytime

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backwards32 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2017 at 2:56pm
I was so excited to get all of these things done knowing that as soon as this house stuff was finished I could get my tank going. so I stayed up many late nights doing the grout and sealant on the tile. I finally picked up the stand and got it moved into place.

so everything is ready to go for the tank now which I will be picking up tomorrow. and then the fun begins. It will still be a slow process because I am also in the middle of building a 2 car garage on the side of the house, but at least it is actually setting up my dream tank.
Fish Food Direct
801-721-0671
call or text me anytime
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krazie4Acans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2017 at 7:58am
Is your stand half on tile and half on carpet?

Man that's a full remodel! Really liking the new tile.

That had to be a little bit cold with no back wall. The new railing really opens up that side of the kitchen.
My ocean.
PADI Advanced Open Water
Tank Thread:

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backwards32 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2017 at 9:40am
No the tile cuts into the front room a little bit to go under the whole stand. well luckily I was able to the back wall and rebuild it and install the sliding glass door all in one Saturday.
Fish Food Direct
801-721-0671
call or text me anytime
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krazie4Acans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2017 at 9:46am
I hope it was one of the warm ones and not the ones when it snowed.

So what made you move the sliding glass door? Just being curious.
My ocean.
PADI Advanced Open Water
Tank Thread:

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backwards32 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2017 at 12:03pm
it needed to be replaced anyway and we decided if we move it over we could add 2 more cabinets and add some more counter space.
Fish Food Direct
801-721-0671
call or text me anytime
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krazie4Acans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2017 at 12:30pm
You keep it up and you won't even need that pantry above the stairs and it can be a fish closet!
My ocean.
PADI Advanced Open Water
Tank Thread:

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backwards32 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2017 at 12:07pm
ok a lot of work went into the tank this weekend. first off I have decided to remove one of the corner overflows to make it more of a peninsula style tank.

while doing this i decided it would be better, now that the overflow is gone, to have the euro bracing go all the way to the corner for more support. so I cut out the old bracing and have ordered new glass to replace it. that should be here by the end of the week.

here is the pic with the overflow gone. It makes a huge difference in the viewing angles.

to accommodate for the loss of one of the overflows, I am going to make both holes in the other overflow as drains. my return lines will be coming up through the wall and then come out and into the top of the tank. I need to find a way to make this look nice and not too much like PVC coming out of the wall

finally the finishing touches were done on the stand and the high bar and ledge installed.

my wife is excited to get some bar stools to finish off the look.
Fish Food Direct
801-721-0671
call or text me anytime
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krazie4Acans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2017 at 12:27pm
And leveled? Closed loop on the holes from the removed overflow? The high bar looks good.
My ocean.
PADI Advanced Open Water
Tank Thread:

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backwards32 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2017 at 12:26pm
yes I made sure the tank is nice and level now. I have been thinking about the closed loop idea. I am worried I would be making more work and more potential for problems. If I need more flow in that corner I may put another powerhead.

If anyone is wondering why there are 2x4's in the tank it is braces because I had to repair the euro bracing on the top of tank.

I like the critical thinking though cause now is the time to make any changes by throwing out ideas. If anyone has any imput I am always up for fresh ideas.

Edited by backwards32 - May 10 2017 at 12:30pm
Fish Food Direct
801-721-0671
call or text me anytime
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krazie4Acans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2017 at 12:32pm
Nothing stopping you from adding the closed loop later. The bulkheads will already be there and you can plumb the whole thing in the stand and then remove the plugs on the top to install the intake stand pipe and the return nozzle.

No one wants to look at a powerhead on the end of a peninsula tank! You know you want to do one. lol
My ocean.
PADI Advanced Open Water
Tank Thread:
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic