Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Mitch's 400+ gallon build

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
backwards32 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backwards32 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mitch's 400+ gallon build
    Posted: September 11 2016 at 8:08am
Well the time has finally come when I can start building my dream tank. I bought a house a few weeks ago and of course I am designing the from room around the new tank. Here is a few pics to get us started.

So there will be a 300 gallon display tank 6x3x27" that will go against the right side of the picture separating the family room and kitchen. on the kitchen side the stand will include a high bar with bar stools.

Lighting: I plan on doing LED lighting of some kind but havent quite chosen which ones yet. I like those new Radion Gen4 but we will see. they will be hanging from a floating canopy to keep the open feel to the room.

Sump: directly below where the tank sits there is a large laundry room which is about to become a fish room. all the plumbing will run downstairs where the sump and all the filtration will be held. also there will be 2 more sectioned off tanks that are 4 feet long 18" tall and 18" deep. these will house my love for different kinds of clownfish.

well there will be a lot more pics and progress to come shortly but I am always open to ideas and suggestions as I go along.

Edited by backwards32 - September 11 2016 at 8:12am
Fish Food Direct
Great Food for half the price
801-721-0671
call or text me anytime
Marcoss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marcoss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2016 at 8:11am
Congrats on the home and new build, Mitch! Excited to follow your progress.
RedSea Max S400 - 90G Rimless Frag Tanks x2 - 185 Lookdown Bin
bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2016 at 4:34pm
Awesome can't wait to see the progress!
Jackie Stuver

"wait these aren't the happy Hawaiians oompa doompa godly heaven on your face zoas?   I dont want them then. lol!" Ksmart
phys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2016 at 12:45am
Sweeeeeeet
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2016 at 7:20am
Fantastic. Thumbs Up
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backwards32 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2016 at 9:44pm

RO water system has been installed. it runs to a pressurized 5 gallon tank and then runs upstairs to feed a faucet in the kitchen and runs to the icemaker in the fridge.

eventually it will run to the water changing system when i get that set up
Fish Food Direct
801-721-0671
call or text me anytime
jdinchak View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jdinchak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2016 at 9:51pm
Awesome.
180G Mixed Reef Tank

170G Dart Frog Tank
PharmaSki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PharmaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2016 at 10:10pm
Excited to see what you do with this!
Yes, I'm a Pharmacist.
No, the blue lights at my house are not growing "pharmaceuticals"...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backwards32 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2016 at 9:21pm
Ok made some more progress today. finally got the rest of the wall taken out and all patched up.

on the right side of the picture there was a pantry over the stairs and the doors were facing north and the way it was set up only about half of the space was being used. thats also a problem because thats right where the fish tank is supposed to go. so i tore out the pantry and am now installing new doors that face west and will now be able to utilize the while space.

so needless to say my front room is still a construction zone but at least the project is coming along.
Fish Food Direct
801-721-0671
call or text me anytime

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backwards32 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2016 at 11:38am
Ok i have made a little bit of progress over the past couple weeks. I know you guys are probably sick of seeing my house renovation pictures but it all part of the tank build. so here is my pantry all put back together and looking good

so now that is finished so I can tile the floor to get ready for the tank. in the meantime i have been designing the mechanical room in the basement. let me know what you think of this rough drawing.

Fish Food Direct
801-721-0671
call or text me anytime
phys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2016 at 1:25am
Oh the suspense!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backwards32 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2016 at 10:04pm
So I cant even remember where I got this tank from but it must be from out of an old fish store. it is 8ft long and 12 inches tall and 15 inches deep.

Due to the small space I have in the laundry room I cut this bad boy in half and with offset and stick them one above the other. this will house frags and/or all different kinds of clownfish. I just need to glue on the end to seal it off. (thanks Mark for the glue)
Fish Food Direct
801-721-0671
call or text me anytime

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backwards32 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2016 at 4:40pm
Ok a little more progress. I know this is house progress but that also means tank progress because I have to get the house ready for the tank. so here is the new lighting in the kitchen, with huge holes in the ceiling still haha.

also i have been doing some plans for the stand in the basement. so here is a sketch of what it will look like. I hope to get started on it on wednesday

the two shelves will hold the two long skinny tanks to house my clownfish. the lower shelf will be where the sump will be located.
Fish Food Direct
801-721-0671
call or text me anytime
Hogie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hogie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2016 at 9:53am
Following along.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backwards32 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2016 at 6:47pm
Ok made some great progress today. the stand for the tanks and sump downstairs is almost complete. here is a picture of the begginings of the construction.

ok so here is how far I got today. the framing is all complete i just need to put a peice of plywood on the tops. ( I had lots of little helpers)

here is how the tanks will sit on the stand and the sump will go on the left. I am happy with how it is turning out.

Fish Food Direct
801-721-0671
call or text me anytime

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backwards32 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2016 at 8:10pm
OK the stand is completed. this is no Dion driftwood stand but i am really happy with how it turned out. now its time to start working on building the sump.

Fish Food Direct
801-721-0671
call or text me anytime
Hogie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hogie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2016 at 9:05am
sweet!
Krazie4Acans View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krazie4Acans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2016 at 10:37am
Are you concerned at all that the top tank is not supported out to the edges? It seams like you will get bowing in the plywood over time and may crack the tank above it due to pressure points in teh bottom instead of along the edge.

Is there some reason your sump isn't going under the lower frag tank instead of elevated off the floor on it's own stand?

Just asking questions.
My ocean.
90g (yup, won it!), 40g, 28g, & 10g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
Tank Thread:

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backwards32 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2016 at 11:05am
Ya so the front half of the top tank will be resting on the bottom tank to give it support, so it should be supported well enough.... I hope. I could add some support near the ends but the plumbing is right there and I have to work around that. I decided to put the sump on its own stand so it is easy to excess and i have to room so why not haha. For right now it is going to all be one unit but I could put a separate support underneath sop its a separate system.
Fish Food Direct
801-721-0671
call or text me anytime

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backwards32 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2016 at 11:07am
Jeff we need to get together sometime and you can see if my though process makes sense so I don't make some silly mistake.
Fish Food Direct
801-721-0671
call or text me anytime
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic