Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Mitch's 400+ gallon build

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
phys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mitch's 400+ gallon build
    Posted: December 03 2017 at 5:02am
Nice!!!
Krazie4Acans View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krazie4Acans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2017 at 7:06am
I do for sure! Plus I need to visit my little friend. I miss her.
My ocean.
90g (yup, won it!), 40g, 28g, & 10g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
Tank Thread:
backwards32 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backwards32 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2017 at 8:01pm
I think someone else i know has about the same size garage with big heaters and a drain in it. too cold in the garage for a fish room. I like it where its at haha. jeff you need to come over some time and see this beauty
Fish Food Direct
Great Food for half the price
801-721-0671
call or text me anytime
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krazie4Acans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2017 at 2:19pm
Umm, your garage is bigger than your house. Why isn't the fish room out there?
My ocean.
PADI Advanced Open Water
Tank Thread:

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backwards32 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2017 at 2:02pm
OK I havent done an update in a while but I have been doing a lot of behind the scenes work on the tank.

- added a dedicated 20Amp circuit to run just all my aquarium items. I addedaa GFCI to the line to help protect myself and everything.

- I got a Gyre and got that installed and that thing can move some water.

- I have 5 fish in there now, a pair of cardinals, a royal gramma, longnose hawkfish, and a yellow tang.

- got a few corals and a clam from fragfest.

- and then of coarse working on my house, which is pretty much fininshed up

so everything is really coming along well. I need to get the calcium reactor up and running as well as get an ATO. I have a breakout box for my APEX and may try and use that for an ATO.
Fish Food Direct
801-721-0671
call or text me anytime

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backwards32 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2017 at 4:32pm
looking at putting a royal gramma and a bengaii cardinal pair in to start.
Fish Food Direct
801-721-0671
call or text me anytime
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krazie4Acans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2017 at 11:27am
Looking good! Glad to see it start coming together as well as the house getting put back together.
My ocean.
PADI Advanced Open Water
Tank Thread:
Dion Richins View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dion Richins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2017 at 10:57am
I have the gyre that was in that tank. I upgraded to the new one. Give me a shout.
Bad "censored" Cabinets
Best quality in the valley! He is one sexy bald guy, even with out a finger!(MAC)
kevin.st View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin.st Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2017 at 10:03am
So nice!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backwards32 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2017 at 9:50am
Here is some eye candy of the lights all set up and running. this is my amazing view at night time

Fish Food Direct
801-721-0671
call or text me anytime
knowen87 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote knowen87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2017 at 10:33am
That stand is awesome. I like how the canopy hangs from the ceiling

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backwards32 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2017 at 9:59am
Things feel like they are moving along finally. I ordered 2 titanium heaters. an 800W and a 300W. that may be overkill but so is everything else on the tank haha. so I have the 300W as the main heater and then the 800W comes on occasionally If the temp gets too low. both are controlled by my Apex.

I also got my lights and canopy all set up. there is 3 AI vegas and 2 AI hydras. I attached a plug strip in the canopy so there is only 1 wore coming out the top and into the ceiling. (which I havent run yet). it is looking really good and changed the whole look of the tank. its looks amazing.

the next step is to get some more water movement in the main display. I am thinking of putting a Gyre in the top of the peninsula end and maybe an MP 60 on the other end. any other suggestions? I thought of getting the neptune wave makers but not sure
Fish Food Direct
801-721-0671
call or text me anytime
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krazie4Acans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2017 at 11:02am
Could be true in some cases but probably not the case for this pump based on the source and history of the pump. Surface rust doesn't always mean lack of service.

Also the "pretty hot" is compared to the DC pumps and small AC pumps that this user has had in the past. Maybe we should have him put his apex temp probe on the pump and see if it's really hot or just hotter than other pumps he's used but well within normal operating temps for this pump?
My ocean.
PADI Advanced Open Water
Tank Thread:
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2017 at 10:25am
Same thing as the previous Tiger Shark pump, i.e., old bearings that are going bad, getting very hot and slowing down the motor. How do I know it's bearings? Look at the rust on that cowling. Bearings don't last forever. People always run these things noisy until they stop altogether, not knowing the pump needed to be repaired. How did this motor sound when it was run dry for a few minutes?

Aloha,
Mark  Hug
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krazie4Acans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2017 at 9:31am
If you are just running it through the sump with just the bypass line then it's probably getting a little warm from the restriction in flow. See what it does once you have flow to the tank and some bypass as well. It will most likely quiet down and run a bit cooler once it can "breath".

A Gyre on the peninsula would be good although hard to hide it or the cords on that end. Maybe a closed loop using the bulkheads from the other overflow that was removed would be good? Giggle.
My ocean.
PADI Advanced Open Water
Tank Thread:

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backwards32 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2017 at 9:14am
Ok so I got a different pump. its a reeflo hammerhead and it is installed and is really pushing a lot of water. I have never had a big pump like this and it is a little loud and is running very hot. not sure if this is just normal for these pumps. any thoughts?

the next step is getting some flow in the display tank. my thoughts are to put a gyre on the left side on the peninsula and maybe an MP 60 or equivalent near the drain side. does anyone have any other suggestions?
Fish Food Direct
801-721-0671
call or text me anytime
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2017 at 10:07am
After looking closer at the pics above, I'm not as certain about what I said yesterday in your other thread about the issue with the return pump being electrical. It may be a plumbing problem.

The Reeflo Tiger Shark pump is a high volume pump that can push 8500 gals/hour at no head. That means it needs to have a constant supply of a large amount of water. Another way to say it is that it needs to have a straight shot at a huge reservoir of water. The piping from the pump to the reservoir should not have any turns or restrictions and should be the same or larger diameter as the pump intake, a diameter of 1.5". 

Have you heard of cavitation? Look it up or see the video below. Cavitation is when insufficient water is drawn into the pump so that the spinning impeller actually creates a very low pressure region around itself. The low pressure is enough to create bubbles of actual steam. The impeller then spins freely for a fraction of a second and the steam bubbles collapse. The output of the pump is momentarily reduced and a noticeable vibration is felt, usually accompanied by an audible banging/rumbling noise. The momentarily stopping of the flow allows new water to flow in and the pump then pushes water like it is supposed to. But then it sucks the water so fast again that it creates the low pressure zone leading again to cavitation. The cycle repeats continuously. If it continues long enough, the heat of the steam damages the impeller and volute housing. 

Sometimes, in order to supply these high volume pumps, the sump is double drilled with 1.5" holes and the pipe leading out of those holes is joined at a fitting just before the pump intake. As I mentioned above, for best/ideal operation, the plumbing must be a straight shot from the sump to the pump(no bends) and the distance must be as short as possible. If needed, I can come visit and help with the design and build. Otherwise, I'll send you the bill. Wink

Aloha,
Mark  Hug
808-345-1049

Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krazie4Acans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2017 at 3:02pm
I already know about anti-gravity boots.
My ocean.
PADI Advanced Open Water
Tank Thread:

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backwards32 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2017 at 1:09pm
someday I will teach you. And ill show you my amazing stand on the ceiling trick
Fish Food Direct
801-721-0671
call or text me anytime
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krazie4Acans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2017 at 1:07pm
How do you keep the water from spilling out of your tank like that?
My ocean.
PADI Advanced Open Water
Tank Thread:
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic