Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

40 breeder

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
MadReefer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MadReefer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2016 at 5:54pm
I came home and looked at the tank. Still cloudy... Maybe I should worry about that... WAIT! Where is the bigger clown?!!! I think I killed a fish with the cloudy water... I don't see it anywhere. *light bulb* Maybe it jumped out. There it is on the carpet... My dead clown fish. But when I pick it up it twitched so I put it in the water quick, but it's not moving. I gently held it in some water flow and it started moving, so I let it go. I really hope it survives.

Edited by MadReefer - September 26 2016 at 5:55pm
MadReefer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MadReefer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2016 at 7:22pm

Edited by MadReefer - September 30 2016 at 8:09pm
MadReefer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MadReefer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2016 at 5:10pm
Calcium 440
Alk 7
Phosphate <.25
Hogie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hogie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2016 at 5:50pm
What is the tank temp? Are you running any carbon? What is your nitrate level?

Clownfish sometimes are jumpers. They are not as bad as other kinds of fish, but I've had one jump and know of a few others that have jumped. Good job finding it in time and getting it back into the water! If it was still moving, I think it has a good chance.

As far as the cloudy water, I would suggest doing a big water change (like 50% to 65%) and then run some carbon. The water change will get a lot of the pollutants out of the water and then the carbon will help suck out any other things still in the water. When you mix your salt, make sure you follow the proper mixing instructions as not all salts are the same (for instance, Red Sea Coral Pro only mixes for a maximum of 4 hr or it starts to precipitate due to the high alk levels).

I wouldn't worry about not seeing Coraline Algae yet. It's still pretty early for that. It will come with time. Just make sure your mag levels are up.
MadReefer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MadReefer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2016 at 6:03pm
I don't have a mag test kit yet.
Nitrates are between 10 and 20.
Temp is always right around 77.
I have been running carbon.
The clown seems back to normal. I must have scared it right out of the tank. I probably found it within a couple minutes.
I put a bubbler in the refugium and I think the water might be slightly better.
Thanks!

Edited by MadReefer - September 27 2016 at 6:03pm
MadReefer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MadReefer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2016 at 8:52pm
pH is back up and the bacterial bloom is going away. I think the flow through the refugium was too slow. Adding air bubbles to the refugium broke up the surface and created more flow. The macro algae looks a little better. I added some BRS KH solution, and I'm sure that helped, too. Now I've removed the air and switched to a powerhead in the refugium, although I had to block its output some to slow the flow, it was too strong at first. I don't like two of the powerheads I'm using because they vibrate, so I'm looking to buy some new powerheads. I need a tiny one for the refugium.
p_hefe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p_hefe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2016 at 9:45pm
I recently purchased a very small 40-55 gph submersible water pump on amazon for pretty cheap.   I use it in my refugium for circulation and it works great. Its dimension are roughly 2" cube. "Uniclife Pet Pump" There are lots of sizes.   
You don't quit playing because you grow old. You grow old because you quit playing.
37g, 60g, 75g, 120g all reef
MadReefer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MadReefer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2016 at 10:09pm
Thanks. That pump could work.
MadReefer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MadReefer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2016 at 7:57pm
We bought another fish. A bicolor blenny. It is finding a lot of holes to hide in. It is eating off the rocks, but it doesn't seem to go for any fish food added to the tank. Hopefully I can train it to eat or grow enough. I increased the time the lights are on.
Hydroid jellyfish have shown up. It's fun going through this new rock cycle.

Edit: It only took two days for the bicolor blenny to sample some fish food, and then it ate a bunch.

Edited by MadReefer - October 02 2016 at 3:58pm
MadReefer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MadReefer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2016 at 7:32pm
I love this new fish. Seems healthy and happy, and less shy every day. Although it is still tough to get a good picture. As soon as my hands go up to the glass, it stops swimming around.
p_hefe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p_hefe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2016 at 8:14pm
We love watching our blenny.   They look like grumpy old men.   
You don't quit playing because you grow old. You grow old because you quit playing.
37g, 60g, 75g, 120g all reef
MadReefer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MadReefer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2016 at 8:07pm

Edited by MadReefer - September 25 2017 at 11:36pm
Crazy Tarzan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crazy Tarzan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2016 at 1:33pm
where did you get your stand?  I've just picked up a 40 b as well, and am looking for stand options.

Like your overflow and sump system as well!
Was that in there yesterday? Casper--WY windier than ?

Down to a 20, soon to double or nothing
MadReefer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MadReefer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2016 at 9:15pm
I bought the stand at Petco(Petco Brooklyn 40 Gallon Metal Tank Stand, $60). I'm thinking about building some frames that I could wrap canvas over and then paint some clowns or corals on it. With magnets in the frames they should stick to the front and sides of the stand, hiding everything and it might look a little better.
Thanks. It seems to be working well. It all makes a little noise, but it is mostly a white noise and I like it.
Nitrates are about zero. Same with phosphate. I should probably start feeding more. I don't know if I'll add more fish, or much of anything. Maybe just let stuff grow.

Edited by MadReefer - October 31 2016 at 9:31pm
MadReefer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MadReefer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2016 at 12:50pm

Edited by MadReefer - September 25 2017 at 11:36pm
MadReefer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MadReefer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 24 2016 at 5:31pm

phys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 26 2016 at 3:35am
Cool tank!!
MadReefer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MadReefer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2017 at 11:51pm
It's been over a year. I like the tank but sometimes I think about selling it. This was easier before kids and all the stuff that adds up in life. The sump looks like crap and I have some kind of algae hitchhiker in the display. I think about getting a skimmer or doing more water changes, but time slips by. The positive is that all fish seem happy, except for one jumper I lost. And the frags have turned into colonies.

Edited by MadReefer - September 25 2017 at 11:53pm
Krazie4Acans View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krazie4Acans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2017 at 6:50am
We all go through those slumps in this hobby. Summer is the time that we all tend to neglect our reefs as we are outside, traveling, vacationing and doing other things that take up time. I think you will find that as the weather changes and we start spending more time inside that you will start to spend more time on your tank.

Give it a few more months and see if that holds true for you as well.
My ocean.
90g (yup, won it!), 40g, 28g, & 10g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
Tank Thread:
shaggydoo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shaggydoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2017 at 8:44am
I agree that winter tends to increase time with our tanks. Also, I don't think a crappy looking sump is always a bad thing. Sometimes the crappier the sump looks, the better the main display :)
60g LPS Cube
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic