Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Refugium 10w LED

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
MadReefer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MadReefer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Refugium 10w LED
    Posted: September 05 2016 at 10:11pm
I made a 10w LED refugium light with an old tablet power supply and some parts I bought on ebay. 12v 1.5A power supply. 10w LED and 12v driver, lens, mounting bracket, and what looks like a small gpu heat sink with fan. I put it in a tin for some protection but left the top off for max cooling. I like the spot light just where I need it and it is out of the way.

Edited by MadReefer - September 05 2016 at 10:29pm
phys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2016 at 4:20pm
butter cookies tin? lol
MadReefer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MadReefer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2016 at 8:11pm
Endless uses for the butter cookie tins. I could have painted it, but that adds zero functionality and this is mostly hidden under the stand.

Edited by MadReefer - September 06 2016 at 8:12pm
phys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2016 at 1:48am
niiiice
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2016 at 3:50pm
I'd hang the light level with the top of the sump. Why? Because the macro will grow better with more light. The faster the macro grows the more nutrients it can export from the system.

Wait, I see sand and rubble in another compartment on the left side. What's that? More Refugium? More Refugium means more biofiltration, i.e., more benefit to the display. Thumbs Up

Aloha,
Mark  Hug
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
MadReefer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MadReefer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2016 at 4:27pm
The light is really focused. I forget what lens I bought, but I like that it hits the fuge chamber well without wasted light. And I like that I don't need to move anything to get in and out of the sump.
I bought too much rock and sand and thought the left side might work as a DSB with course sand and rubble. The middle might have some anaerobic zones with a shallow fine sand. It is a work in progress and I appreciate the comments.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic