Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Algagen Group Order?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Author
Suzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Algagen Group Order?
    Posted: September 08 2005 at 9:32am
Hi, Guys! My favorite company for live cultures is going to do a group
order for us! I've been emailing back and forth with Eric Stein, the
incredibly nice CEO of this company. This company usually sells large
amounts of cultures to large companies, but he has done an order for us
once before.

They also sell very large culture systems to very large phyto consumers!

The cool thing that I like is Phycopure. For those non growers who buy
Kents Phytoplex or DT's or the other dead products available, this is
comparable except it is so much better. It's a mix of quite a few different
microalgaes, and we all know variety is what makes our reefs healthy.
Plus, unlike the other brands, it is live so it doesn't add to the nutrient
buildup that we hate! It actually consumes these nutrients before they can
be eaten by nuisance algaes! And, it just hangs around eating yucky stuff
'till some coral snicks it up!

I think it is the best you can buy.

Plus, Eric has cultures of zooplankton: Artacia Tonsa, a really cool
copepod that is papered! Eric has it's pedigree! Copepods are the perfect
food for corals and small invert eaters because it is able to make it's own
fatty acids from fish poo! Unlike BBS or Rotifers that are only as nutritious
as their last meal! Copepods are cooler than amphpods because they are
small enough to be consumed by our reef corals, and they multiply
quickly.

I am hoping to get a few pure cultures for those of us that are growers. I
hope that those that want to try something will order here, so we can
make it happen!

Any takers?
Will Spencer View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Will Spencer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2005 at 11:54am
Suzy, I would like to try something simple.  I would be growing it in a 10 gallon tank kind of like Mark has done so the simpler the better.  What does a culture cost?  If I can set it up for less than $20 I'm in.
Suzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2005 at 11:56am
Do you have a light set up laying around? I use a HD shop light with plain
ol' 5 buck bulbs!

Do you buy DTs or Phytoplex? Do you feed any filter stuff?
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Will Spencer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2005 at 12:01pm
I do have several light around including the HD light.  I pretty much only use Tahitian Blend right now, but have considered using live culture.  Just not gotten around to it yet.  I also considered doing a culture of Rotifers along with it.
Suzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2005 at 12:12pm
Will, Rotifers are sooo last millenium!

Do you have a little room to grow some live stuff?
Adam Haycock View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Haycock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2005 at 2:30pm

What size are the $20 cultures? All you really need to start a culture is 20ml or so. We could split the cultures between a lot of people and save some money. Suzy, were you thinking about getting any of the zooplankton?

Edited by Adam Haycock - April 09 2007 at 12:27pm

rstruhs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rstruhs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2005 at 5:45pm

I would like to try some cultures of macroalgae and zooplankton and copepods, depending on cost.  Right now I am kind of strapped.

Can you provide somewhat of a price list?

Rodney, Sandra, Jeffery, and Laura Struhs
South Jordan, Utah 98th South & 40th West.
(801) 282-2744

75 gallon reef
55 gallon reef
55 gallon FOWLR
20 gallon FOWLR
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Pet Store
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2005 at 6:30pm
Count me in for whatever you are getting.
Bob Kripfgans View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Kripfgans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2005 at 10:21pm
Susy. Let me know when and how much.  I'm in we can split the booty.   Bob
WMAS is da place!
Save the Banggai's!
Tooele,Ut.
Suzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2005 at 5:33am
Guys, this guy doesn't really sell cultures, persay. I think he's just making
us a deal 'cause Adam is friends with his friend, Andy. He really is trying
to promote the Phycopure.

Does anyone out there use DTs, Phytoplex, Microvert? I really think you
should try it!

I feel kinda bad asking him for just the cultures if nobody wants the
actual product!
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Pet Store
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2005 at 9:22am
I've used phycopure before and it was great.  I even grew it for about 6 months from my original culture.
deedo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deedo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2005 at 9:34am
I'll take some phycopure!
"Science is like a blabbermouth who ruins the movie by telling you how it ends. Well, I say there are some things we don't want to know. Important things!" - Ned Flanders

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Haycock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2005 at 4:48pm

Here is the website for phycopure

http://phycopure.com/

Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Will Spencer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2005 at 8:57pm

How much is the Phycopure?

It seems to me that it would be very difficult to feed this to your tank every day as some people do with their own cultures due to the exobitant price.  I mean my family doesn't eat $25 worth of food a day.  I certainly can't afford to feed my tank at that price.

This is why I use Tahitian Blend.  It seems pricey initially, but it lasts forever.  Maybe I'm just not feeding enough of it.

Edited by wsinbad1
Suzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2005 at 5:59am
Tahitian blend is much more practical for a large tank. I would use
Phycopure if I had a smaller tank. Growing it is a hassle!

It is comparable to DTs, and Kents dead stuff! In price!

I'll see if Eric will quot us some prices Monday..

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Haycock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2005 at 6:57am
Isochrysis and Pavlova will only live several weeks in the fridge according to Dennis Tagrin or DTs. I believe DTs actually had Isochrysis for a while but they took it out because it didn't survive long. I think the isochrysis in the tahitian blend is almost certainly dead. Just dont overdose it.
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Will Spencer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2005 at 11:32am

Question for Adam (BananaTropics): 

Does the fact that Tahitian Blend is frozen necessarily mean the algae is dead?  When I feed it 2-3 times a week I get a heavy growth of algae on my glass that the snails love to clean up.  When I don't feed it very often I get far less growth.  Do you think this could mean some of the algae is still alive and ready to grow given the right conditions?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Haycock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2005 at 3:56pm

Im basing a lot of what Im saying on the statements by Mr. Tagrin (im guessing he started DTs based on his initials). Here is what he wrote to Anthony Calfo to pass along to RC members...

"In contrast, centrifuging phytoplankton is a process used by some companies to make algae paste for commercial aquaculture. This process was not designed to harvest live cells and in fact, the cells are scraped out like clay. This method is fast and cheap, but it damages a large percentage of cells. Several companies are purchasing these algal pastes as frozen concentrated phytoplankton to use as ingredients in their marine aquariums"

But here is Mr. Randy Reed's (owner of Instant algae, the maker of Tahitian blend i think)....

I understand why Dennis has to make comments like that - otherwise he has no way to differentiate his products. But unfortunately his "facts" are not correct. Nanno is the only algae that we concentrate to the "clay" level and none of the cells are damaged at this concentration - Nanno is just too tough. Our other algae are concentrated at far lower G's to a thick liquid. They also come out whole and intact.

The algae that we concentrate for our "Live" product which is sold into the aquarium industry is concentrated using a different method that we have developed. I'm not going to reveal how we do this because it is a trade secret that we don't want to become publically known. I know everybody hates "secrets", but sometimes they are necessary - sorry!

Mr. Tagrin later writes...

EPA is Eicosapentaenoic acid one of the most essential omega 3 fatty acids.

DHA is Docosahexaenoic acid, another essential omega 3 fatty acid.

Although animals can synthesize one from the other it is not as efficient and the goal from our continued research is to find a species of microalgae that would be a good source of DHA that survives refrigerated storage.

Note: Isochrysis and Pavlova are dead within 2 weeks of refrigerated storage.

People are being mislead by claims that they survive in
refrigerated storage.

And Mr. Reeds follow-up...

EPA and ARA are found at the highest levels in green algae, but DHA is ONLY found in brown algae like Isochrysis and Pavlova. DHA is one of the building blocks of neural tissue and without it your animals can not be at their peak vibrancy.

By the way, Isochrysis and Pavlova can be kept alive in a refrigerator for far longer than 2 weeks. I’ve heard there is a study that somebody performed that claims only 2 weeks, but I’ve never been able to get my hands on it. If they killed the Iso/Pav after only 2 weeks they did something very wrong.

Its hard to believe either since they are trying to sell thier own product and discredit the competition. But I bet the truth is somwhere in between. Id say Isochrysis and Pavlova start to die off after a couple weeks but there are stragglers for a couple months. And that is probably more true for a product like Phycopure, not the super-concentrated Tahitian blend.

Im not too sure about the cryopreservation. They use MeOH, DMSO or maybe another chemical which I believe prevents the cells from freezing. So if you keep them in the freezer, the cells are not actually frozen, just very very cold. But once thawed, it can take somewhere around a month before the cells start reproducing again (but are alive).

Will, i would say that part of the algae you are adding is decaying in your water and producing a nutrient spike for other algaes. The algaes in Tahitian blend will not grow on the glass or substrate. Have you tried DTs or phycopure? The live cells will last much longer in your sysem and not as much will end up deteriorating water quality. After I stopped adding nannochloropsis and Tetraselmis to my tank, I could still find living cells in the water many weeks later, just by taking random samples near the substrate.  

Edited by BananaTropics
j's55 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote j's55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2005 at 8:02pm
Originally posted by Amie Amie wrote:

I've used phycopure before and it was great.  I even grew
it for about 6 months from my original culture.

find a price suzy cause if you can culture it.. I would love some.
Josh Zorn
45G reef
lots of tropical plants
Cell it 910 3924

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Haycock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2005 at 11:22pm

Im not sure if its priced the same but this is from last years order...

The 8 oz retails for $16 and the 16 oz retails for $29-30. When you guys order I will take 25% off so that would be $12 and $21 respectively

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
  Share Topic