Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Keyhole Limpet

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Reaper View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reaper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Keyhole Limpet
    Posted: July 11 2016 at 8:08pm
Anyone know what this is?
arthuriv View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arthuriv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2016 at 12:16am
Does it move around?

I looks to be a fleshy limpet.

Google search on fleshy limpet with pictures:

Info on Fleshy Limpets taken from Reefkeeping.com:

Fleshy limpets, Lucapina species, are commonly found on Caribbean rock, and there are several species of them. The largest are about the size of shield limpets, but many are smaller. They also have a mantle that extends up over the shell, but in this case, the mantle is brightly colored and ranges from yellow to red. These are keyhole limpets, and as such are probably omnivorous, but from the reports I have received, they don't seem to be eating the decorative livestock. Generally, they seem to be grazing on algae. Like the shield limpets, they are largely nocturnal and are generally out of sight and inactive during the day. When the mantle is retracted, they will be seen to have a small shell on their back and its center will be perforated with a hole. As with the shield limpets, they don't appear to reproduce in aquaria and generally only survive a few months.
Quality Marines Aquaculturing & Captive Breeding program!
Presented by Ashley & Chelsea from Reef On
Thursday 6 Oct 2016
Reaper View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reaper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2016 at 4:26am
I would say that's it thanks for all the info. I does move and is rarely out during the day.
arthuriv View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arthuriv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2016 at 10:13am

Originally posted by Reaper Reaper wrote:

I would say that's it thanks for all the info. I does move and is rarely out during the day.

No problem anytime!!

Quality Marines Aquaculturing & Captive Breeding program!
Presented by Ashley & Chelsea from Reef On
Thursday 6 Oct 2016
Hogie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hogie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2016 at 10:24am
I haven't seen ones of those before. Thanks for sharing!
Reefer4Ever View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reefer4Ever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2016 at 11:46am
That is an awesome pic and learned something myself thank you Art
90 gal reef w/refugium
24 gal softie tank
11 gal nano anemone tank
5 gal fresh water
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2016 at 1:50pm
It is so cool to have so many knowledgeable hobbyists here to call upon for help. Thumbs Up

I also learned something I didn't know, that this fleshy Limpet is a Keyhole Limpet. I had always heard that the Keyhole is a coral eater. Ouch
Frankly, I'm concerned that is exactly what it will do in this tank. Why do I think so? Because of the condition of the LR that it was on when the pic was taken. If all or most of the LR in the tank is barren and white like that, this Limpet is surely starving and will turn to eating whatever it can find. If it were me, I'd watch it carefully. I would also add some really mature life covered LR or else move it to a tank with old mature LR where it can find something to eat.

Just trying to help a fellow hobbyist avoid a potential problem and to save a unique animal. Smile

Aloha,
Mark  Hug
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Krazie4Acans View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krazie4Acans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2016 at 3:51pm
I've had keyhole limpets in my tank before. Never had an issue with them with LPS or SPS corals but I did have one with a taste for leathers. I can see them being a bigger problem in tanks where there is limited food for them and having them turn to what is available in the system they are in.

They are cool but I would keep my eye on him in that pretty new system, just in case.
My ocean.
90g (yup, won it!), 40g, 28g, & 10g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
Tank Thread:
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic