Facebook
Twitter

Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Anyone have an Aiptasia Killing Laser?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Skyward Imaging View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skyward Imaging Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Anyone have an Aiptasia Killing Laser?
    Posted: April 23 2016 at 7:18pm
I am thinking about getting a laser to kill aiptasia and majanos so if anyone has one let me know what you want for it. I also have stuff to trade for one.

Text is best (801) 289-6395
golfnut1232 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote golfnut1232 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2016 at 5:04pm
I wouldn't do it man. I heard it just makes them spread like crazy cause it's really difficult to fry every single bit of living tissue and what you miss just regenerates into lots more aptasia. Berghia and file fish seem to be the most effective method in eradicating them with berghia being the best imo.
catchoftheday View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote catchoftheday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2016 at 5:26pm
I would just get some peppermint shrimp the ones that I got from Shaun at a reef oasis have gotten rid of all my pest Anemones
I currently have a 24 gallon JBJ all in one tank has two powerheads a phosphate reactor with the small bubble skimmer it is also powered by 2 X165 W LEDs and as a mixed reef
Reefer4Ever View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reefer4Ever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2016 at 5:49pm
I would be more than happy to take some of your rocks and have my fish do their thing and return back to you.
90 gal reef w/refugium
24 gal softie tank
11 gal nano anemone tank
5 gal fresh water
Baghtal View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baghtal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2016 at 12:27pm
2nd the comment on Peppermint Shrimp. Worked great for cleaning up ours :)
I like to think that the moon is there, even when I'm not looking at it.
~Albert Einstein
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2016 at 5:31pm

I agree with golfnut1232 about the laser. Neat idea but does not do the job.

Yes, Peppermint Shrimp for Aiptasia. Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up   See this discussion, also listed for future reference in the Reefkeeping Tips: http://www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=40877

I realize this may be difficult to hear, coming from me, the guy who thinks he has a solution for every problem, Wink but Majano are so  Censored that the only thing I can do is tolerate them until I can get in and dig them off the rock or if there are too many, I break up the rock with hammer and chisel and throw the parts away that have the Majano. Sometimes it's the entire rock that ends up in the trash.  Majano are the only pest that I call a lost cause. The Kleins Butterflyfish is the best at eating them but the leftover Majano flesh in tiny holes and crevices regrows after the Kleins is gone. Angry

Aloha,

Mark  Hug

Edited by Mark Peterson - April 25 2016 at 5:34pm
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
rhinoman242 View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rhinoman242 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2016 at 7:18pm
I beat majanos. I beat them good too.. I'm not talking a few, I had around 40-50 of them in my 36 gal tank before I took action. I tried to remove as many as I could first manually. Removing pieces of rock, and even throwing out full rocks that had no other corals. I was still stuck with about 25 or so in the tank.

I usually try to use a natural method of removing pests as an initial plan of attack, but as you said Mark there aren't many options in the way of something that loves to eat majanos. That is until you add distilled white vinegar...

The trick for me was to get a 3ml syringe with needle. I initially felt a bit cruel doing it, but quickly remembered what I was dealing with, and began the attack. I'd fill the syringe with 1-2 ml of distilled white vinegar (depending on the size of the pest), stab the needle directly into the mouth of the majano, and inject it with the vinegar.

The majanos would immediately close up of course, but what surprised me the most, is a lot of them actually came right off the rock completely within a few min of injecting. I was able to easily suck them out with a baster. A few did stay on the rocks, but also to my surprise, the 2 peppermint shrimp I had found the taste of vinegar stuffed majanos irresistible, and ate them all up! :-)

For those worried about putting distilled white vinegar in your system, it is actually something that a lot of reefers put in their tank on purpose as a means of carbon dosing. Also, once you eliminate the little suckers, you can stop adding it, if you're not comfortable doing so.

Also, be aware that this all happened over a period of time. I would only take out a few per day, with sometimes skipping a day or two in between, just to ensure I wasn't over doing it with the vinegar.

I had absolutely no ill effects from the vinegar. All fish, inverts, and coral were fine, and actually got a lot healthier after the majanos were no longer dominating my little 36 gal tank.

Take it for what it is. It worked for me. I never saw them after that again. They were 100% eradicated.

As for the aptasia, I also had great success with peppermint shrimp. They ate them all up within the first couple weeks. Pete is right, stay away from the laser, even though it does sound like a great time ;)
eightonex View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eightonex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2016 at 8:52pm
Aptasia x works good
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2016 at 11:21pm
That is awesome Rhinoman242. That changes my entire attitude about Majano. To know there is a method really completes me. I know that sounds weird. I mean there is this area of my brain that has always been unsettled because of this one pest that could not be conquered. It's like a long lost puzzle piece that's been found in the couch. 
Star
This thread is going into the Reefkeeping Tips for future reference for all hobbyists. 

Aloha,
Mark  Hug

P.S. 
In texting Skyward Imaging, I learned that this forum does not work well on his phone and he has kind of given up on utahreefs. Does anyone know if there is a forum setting or a phone setting that will make it work well? 

Edited by Mark Peterson - April 25 2016 at 11:23pm
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
rhinoman242 View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rhinoman242 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2016 at 10:01am
Awesome, glad to help if I can! Results may vary of course, but if you decide to give it a try, let me know how it goes.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic