Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Freshwater dips

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
jsol12 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jsol12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Freshwater dips
    Posted: April 18 2016 at 9:27am
I'd love to hear some thoughts/experience on giving each new fish you bring home a freshwater bath.

Secondly, what about for fish infected with ich? With malachite green added?

150gal/25gal sump Red Sea Max S650, started 3/28/15
kevin.st View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin.st Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2016 at 9:33am
I've done 5 minute FW dips before-match temperature of main tank.

But, once I started quarantining everything before introducing to main display, I've had no issues.

I maintain my tank at a solid 78 degrees using a reefkeeper.  I also do not overstock and I keep non-aggressive fish in my system.

Using the methods above, I do not need to FW dip my fish.  If you are dealing with ich, I am sorry to hear that.  I am finding that I am the bad news bear when it comes to ich around here.  You need to pull all the fish and quarantine them for 8 weeks.  Leave the main tank fishless during this period.  Ich has ruined my tank before and I am now super careful to not let it enter my system.

Garlic will not help you get rid of ich.
Krazie4Acans View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krazie4Acans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2016 at 11:13am
Freshwater dips can be effective in helping kill parasites but it is not a replacement for a Quarantine system. If you get healthy fish then the QT time can be short and then they can go into the main system. If you know the fish are displaying or carrying a disease then they should be in a QT for 4-6 weeks to allow for treatment as well as monitoring.

If you have a fish with ich DO NOT put it into your system. This is where a Quarantine tank is very important. Once Ich is in your system you have to remove all fish and leave them out for 8 weeks in order to rid it from your tank. It can easily wipe out an entire tank for of fish. It's just not worth it.
My ocean.
90g (yup, won it!), 40g, 28g, & 10g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
Tank Thread:
jsol12 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jsol12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2016 at 11:27am
How long would you QT a healthy fish before adding to DT?

Edited by jsol12 - April 18 2016 at 11:27am
150gal/25gal sump Red Sea Max S650, started 3/28/15
Krazie4Acans View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krazie4Acans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2016 at 11:37am
If I see no signs of illness, disease, or parasites then they get treated for two weeks and as long as they are eating well and healthy (and not a known carrier of other issues) I will add them to the display in an acclimation box. This gives them the ability to get to know the other tank mates as well as gives me the ability to easily remove them or give them additional food etc, before letting them out into the tank. There is nothing worse than putting a new fish in the tank only to have to tear the entire tank apart to get them back out.
My ocean.
90g (yup, won it!), 40g, 28g, & 10g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
Tank Thread:
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2016 at 4:20pm

Stressed and weak fish do not handle a freshwater dip very well. I'm not sure how well Malachite Green works for Ich. I've never tried it since it's not reef safe and I don't QT my fish. 

These two Powder Tangs are not eating, right? They are stressed and getting weaker every hour. A dip will only make matters worse. Coppered water in quarantine is really the only solution I can think of at this point. My opinion is that the fish need to be kept in QT until they are eating and strong enough to return to the display. Once back in the display they can be exposed to UV radiated/oxidized water and actually eat food with Garlic.

Aloha,

Mark  Hug

Edited by Mark Peterson - April 18 2016 at 4:25pm
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Jeremyw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeremyw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2016 at 4:24pm
IMO I buy a fish that has been in as store for 1 week min and then ask them to hold it for another 1-2 weeks. I check on it multiple times and make sure its eating and not weak. That way I dont have to worry about a weak fish in my system. The places I buy from run copper in their systems too so I know its being copper treated while its waiting for its new home.

Just my .2 cents. 
reefer86 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reefer86 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2016 at 6:37pm
Jeremy - which stores treat new shipments of fish with copper? Do many stores do this?
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2016 at 10:47pm

Almost all of them, but not Fish-4-U. It's just the way that Kris and Carrie do it. Their tanks are so old and mature, like upwards of 20 years, with algae and hiding places, fish are very comfortable in their tanks and generally do pretty well without chemical treatment. Many people might look at the red algae growing in Fish-4-U tanks and think "ugh". But it's actually a testament to the power of algae, to bring comfort, food and healing to a biological system. Algae is the basis of all life on this planet. I could go on and on... wait, I already have.Embarrassed

Aloha,

Mark  Hug

P.S.

The Tangs in question, Powder Blue and Powder Brown, as well as a few other fish, like the Convict Tang, are most often found swimming in large shoals. I believe they stress and die in our tanks because they are lonely and sometimes there's nothing we can do to change that. Unhappy

Jeremyw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeremyw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2016 at 7:59am
Originally posted by reefer86 reefer86 wrote:

Jeremy - which stores treat new shipments of fish with copper? Do many stores do this?

A year ago only about half the store were using it. I followed up a few months ago and found that number was about the same. Some were using it in full doses and others in half dose. I also found out who has there very own quarantine section and actually uses it, like The Aquarium. 

If you have any questions about which one specifically let me know :) 
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2016 at 11:01am

Only half the LFS, really! Shocked Shoot. I thought I knew something. Guess I better take my wife's advice and "Shut up!"

Aloha,

Mark  Hug

Edited by Mark Peterson - May 10 2016 at 10:14pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic