Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

thoughts on vivariums?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
1stupidpunk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1stupidpunk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: thoughts on vivariums?
    Posted: April 08 2016 at 10:21am

My wife saw dart frogs at the reptile expo last year and really wants them. I told her that if she did a bit of research and still wanted them next expo that we would get some... well she still wants them (like we don't have enough critters).

Im looking for a terrarium/vivarium that will be appropriate to house them but is also aesthetically pleasing. In my head in envision some live plants (maybe bromeliads or orchids?) with a waterfall/river feature that leads to a very shallow pond.

Im looking at the exoterra/zoomed terrariums because that's what 90% of my google searches bring up. I know theres a few members on here that have dart frogs so any input would be great. Also if I can manage to get that sat off I plan on attending Bretts presentation!

Edited by 1stupidpunk - April 08 2016 at 10:28am
jdinchak View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jdinchak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2016 at 10:35am
There are quite a few a members here with dart frogs (myself included) who would love to help.  Attending Brett's event would be fantastic for you. 

You can get dart frogs at Brett's, other pet stores, hopefully MWRF and there are two reptile shows that will have them. 

What questions do you have??
180G Mixed Reef Tank

170G Dart Frog Tank
1stupidpunk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1stupidpunk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2016 at 11:03am

I've had tree frogs and a pacman frog years ago but never the dart frogs. But back then I only used fake plastic plants and really basic setups. Really just looking for info on what types of fauna do well and what type of setups work best for them. Lots on conflicting info about substrates and humidity as well.

Im debating hitting up the $1 per gallon sale and get a 40g breeder, just not sure what I would do for a screen/lid.

jdinchak View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jdinchak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2016 at 11:36am
I am using a 55g tank for mine.  I will either find aquarium covers already made or I will just go to a glass shop.  I have gone to one a few times and had custom made glass done cheap. 

The big thing I learned is humidity is critical but good drainage and airflow help a lot. 

Check out josh's frogs for good tips too.  I bought their ABG mix which has great drainage. 
180G Mixed Reef Tank

170G Dart Frog Tank
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic