Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Coral Color Changes?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
stout_trout View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stout_trout Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Coral Color Changes?
    Posted: April 07 2016 at 1:49pm
I've noticed that my corals are changing colors after they have been in my tank a while. I'm sure there are many reasons why but I'm looking for any experience you all have had as well as what, if anything you've done to remedy it.

The specific issue is that I've noticed corals that had white elements to them...go more yellow or dirty white.
Corals that had bright yellow in them...then to become more green.

It's not just the current light settings (Optical eye tricks)...these colors have actually changed.

I'm running and AI Prime and my theory is that my light combo is contributing but I'm sure water chemistry plays a part too...

What can I do to get my bright Whites and bright Yellows back in my corals?

Thanks!
LaVerkin, UT
|6EdgeAIO-AIPrimeHD

livestock wishlist:
pink watermelon Chalice
neurotivity View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote neurotivity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2016 at 1:53pm
What coral are you referring to specifically?
neurotivity View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote neurotivity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2016 at 1:54pm
Whites and yellows are not all that common (: do you dose Fuel or any aminos/trace elements?
bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2016 at 2:48pm
Yeah there can be a ton of factors as to why they change colors. Different lighting or chemistry than where you bought them. Also sometimes they will change from what they were to a different color and then once they are use to the environment a few months later can gradually go back to the colors you first saw.
Jackie Stuver

"wait these aren't the happy Hawaiians oompa doompa godly heaven on your face zoas?   I dont want them then. lol!" Ksmart

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stout_trout Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2016 at 2:53pm
Thanks guys.

the coral I'm noticing it in is zoanthids. 

...yep. Adding Fuel...it was recommended to me by someone with a rockn' tank.

I'm going to back off on the Blue LEDs and see if that makes a difference... Any thoughts on that?
LaVerkin, UT
|6EdgeAIO-AIPrimeHD

livestock wishlist:
pink watermelon Chalice
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2016 at 3:47pm

This is the understanding I've picked up over the years from hobby experts and scientists. Adam Blundell has done a lot of study into this. Hopefully he will chime in.

1. Too much light encourages more dense brown Zoothanthellae growth as a method of UV protection.

2. White is the color of a coral when it has very little Zooxanthellae, either because some stress, like transport or bad chemistry, caused it to expel most or all it's Zooxanthellae (sometimes called bleaching) or because it was in an environment of such low light that Zooxanthellae had a hard time growing.

3. Many of the coral colors are due to a Zooxanthellae combination of different color varieties. You know, how yellow and blue make green.

4. Innumerable variables combine to form environments that are quite different from one tank to another and even from one ocean to another. It's my understanding that Zooxanthellae, belonging to the same algal group as Dinoflagellates, can; 1)change growth, 2)vacate the host and/or 3)repopulate a host coral in response to the environment. I've seen coral that slowly picked up the color (Zooxanthellae) of another coral in my system. As was mentioned already, yellow Zooxanthellae is uncommon. When a yellow coral (or any coral) moves to a new environment, to a new tank, it can change more than the color of it's host coral. I've seen changes in growth patterns and shapes too.

Your original question was, "What can I do to get my bright Whites and bright Yellows back in my corals?"

My best answer, "Stress them and turn down the lights. Wacko "

Your second question, reducing the blue, certainly can make a difference. Have you seen the pics I occasionally post showing color and intensity at 4 different ocean depths? They illustrate the wavelengths of light that coral live under and also point out how color cannot help but change when the coral is bombarded with a new set of wavelengths.

Aloha,

Mark  Hug

Edited by Mark Peterson - April 07 2016 at 7:49pm
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2016 at 7:51pm

Sorry, I couldn't resist saying a little bit more and leaving this thread with a link to the fascinating world of coral color.

The color we see with our eyes is a result of which wavelengths are reflected, which are absorbed and which wavelengths are re-emitted(fluorescence). There are also wavelengths emitted by coral that our eyes cannot see. All of this is a very fascinating subject that Adam has presented to us a few times. Perhaps it's time for another meeting about coral lighting and fluorescence. Smile

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/2015/06/150629-glowing-fluorescent-corals-science/

Aloha,

Mark  Hug

Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stout_trout Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2016 at 7:55am
Thanks for your input!
LaVerkin, UT
|6EdgeAIO-AIPrimeHD

livestock wishlist:
pink watermelon Chalice
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic