Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Black Goo!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Ashtondem View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ashtondem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Black Goo!
    Posted: March 21 2016 at 7:10pm

I have no idea what to do and advice would be welcome.
Angela - The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears or the sea. - Isak Dinesen
Krazie4Acans View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krazie4Acans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2016 at 7:29pm
It's cyano bacteria, there are natural and chemical ways to deal with it. Reduced feeding and lighting with increased flow. Can help. Chemiclean can do it if you prefer that route. It is stressful to your tank but does work.

Hope that helps.
My ocean.
90g (yup, won it!), 40g, 28g, & 10g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
Tank Thread:
Ashtondem View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ashtondem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2016 at 7:41pm
Great thanks for telling me what it is. I have a problem over feeding, I think the fish are hungry all of the time. 
Angela - The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears or the sea. - Isak Dinesen
Krazie4Acans View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krazie4Acans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2016 at 7:52pm
They have a way of looking at you with those big eyes and swimming right up to the glass to try and get you to feed them. Don't fall for it.
My ocean.
90g (yup, won it!), 40g, 28g, & 10g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
Tank Thread:
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2016 at 8:29pm

LOL  I agree, it's hard to resist.

Do yourself a favor. Look in the Reefkeeping Tips link below for the very good forum discussion about dealing with and eliminating Cyanobacteria. Also notice all the other tips linked there that will help you avoid a lot of mistakes, save a lot of money and make this hobby lots of fun. 

Aloha,

Mark  Hug

P.S.

Thanks for the great pics of Cyano. Do you mind if I use those for posting in future discussions/threads?

Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Hogie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hogie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2016 at 9:31pm
I over feed which is why I have an oversized skimmer!
Hogie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hogie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2016 at 9:33pm
Originally posted by Mark Peterson Mark Peterson wrote:

Thanks for the great pics of Cyano. Do you mind if I use those for posting in future discussions/threads?

Great job in asking to use the pictures! A lot better than just seeing them show up somewhere.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic