Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

QT oops moment

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Holyzion View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Holyzion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: QT oops moment
    Posted: March 03 2016 at 9:55pm
So, long story short i have a fish with Ich in my DT tank.

I have a small QT set up to check out fish like normal, with my par bulb on the tank and the curved glass it's hard to get a great view of the fish. So like normal i moved them into a see through cup and inspect. when i first picked this guy up he showed no signs today he is showing full blown signs of ich. The issue was i left the cup unattended for a moment and my son managed to pour the little guy in my main display. 

Its a small shark nosed goby, there is no way in hell i can catch the little guy without pulling all my rocks apart. Should i just bite the bullet and do it so my clowns don't have a chance to get ich?

I would really hate to lose any of them especially my Ultra snow clown.
74G Mixed Reef
3G Picotope
Holyzion View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Holyzion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2016 at 10:07pm
I just ended up pulling my aquascape and got him out. sad to say it will never be the same as it was and i loved it. Live and learn.

74G Mixed Reef
3G Picotope
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2016 at 10:37pm
Originally posted by Holyzion Holyzion wrote:

Should i just bite the bullet and do it so my clowns don't have a chance to get ich?
I would really hate to lose any of them especially my Ultra snow clown.
Sorry, too late. Unhappy 
The tank already has the Ich Parasite living in it, right? Unless the full quarantine procedure was used with everything that went into the aquarium, the parasite exists and is already growing in the tank in low, relatively safe numbers. Also, any fish with Ich can leave the parasites, even if it was in the tank just a few minutes.

The MarksReef Garlic Oil Treatment was developed for this very reason. If keeping those special Clownfish is important, what have you got to lose by using the best treatment to keep the parasite subdued so the fish can live long healthy lives? http://utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=71349

Wait, I just read it again. So the fish developed a bad Ich outbreak while in QT? What kind of treatment is being done for the fish while in QT?

Aloha,
Mark  Hug

Edited by Mark Peterson - March 03 2016 at 10:44pm
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Holyzion View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Holyzion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2016 at 11:58pm
There wasn't a treatment in the QT yet, and when i bought him he wasn't showing signs of Ich at the time. that i could at least see hence the inspection, he was only in the DT for 30 minutes or so.

And the reason i wasn't treating is there are also sexy shrimp in there currently.

So, i will be moving the sexy shrimp to the DT and treating the goby with copper.

74G Mixed Reef
3G Picotope
bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2016 at 12:39am
I'm pretty sure that if that fish was in the tank you already run the risk no matter how long the fish was in there. Plus it sounds like he also poured the water that the fish was in into the tank.
Jackie Stuver

"wait these aren't the happy Hawaiians oompa doompa godly heaven on your face zoas?   I dont want them then. lol!" Ksmart
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2016 at 8:31am
Sorry we have to be the bearers of bad news. 

The progression of methods I believe is useful to consider is this:
First - Garlic Oil Treatment
Second - UV Sterilizer or Ozone
Third - Full QT
(See the Reefkeeping Tips for a full discussion of these methods)
The third method is a very long and involved procedure. It is something that I would do only after trying the first and second methods. It requires everything to be quarantined for months. That means not even one drop of untreated water or un-quarantined item (algae, fish, invert, coral or LR) can be introduced to the display system.

Is it becoming clear why MarksReef Garlic Oil Treatment for Ich was developed? It's not a cure, but for me it's been about 90% effective over the years. Smile It even helped my fish survive an outbreak of Velvet that was going around.

FYI, I have found that placing animals in a QT tank is very stressful. It's just a bare cage, nothing like their natural environment. Then, when they may just be starting to get accustomed to their cage, they get moved to the display where the stress begins all over again. It's a double whammy. Stress is what brings on an Ich infestation and death. I put new fish directly into the display, using an acclimation container of course. Wink A reef aquarium with a good environment, as natural as possible, with good feedings before and after introduction, with the right Garlic Oil product supplemented in the food for about the first five days and periodically thereafter keeps fish happy and healthy.

Aloha,
Mark  Hug
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic