Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

overflow quieting suggestions

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Holyzion View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Holyzion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2016 at 10:59am
So i have ran a few different drain methods in my few years of reefing and i have to say Herbie drain is by far my favorite and it is whisper quite, it was actually unnerving to hear no water flow at all when i first started my tank. 

It took me a 5 minutes to adjust the gate valve to get the flow just right in my case. I also have a cover that guards my main drain from being clogged. I run a DC return pump so i use the feed button which shuts my pump off for 15 minutes, I have never had an issue with it overflowing the sump. I have also tested by plugging my main drain, the back up drain more than handled all of the water flow from my return pump. 

Each person here will have different success with different methods and they will stick with what works for them and swear by it. In the end test every solution you have available to you and stick with what works the best for your tank since every tank is different.

Best of luck.

74G Mixed Reef
3G Picotope
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2016 at 5:38pm
Originally posted by SFReef SFReef wrote:

I saw somewhere where I can put a cap on and drill a hole in the cap with airline tubing coming from the cap.
Yes, the cap (in this case just use a PVC Plug in the Tee) with a small hole is what silences it. It works like a car muffler. Start with a small hole like 1/8" and if that doesn't work, drill it 1/4". It's the size of the hole that matters. The airline tube is unnecessary and sometimes even gives a noise of it's own. 

Actually I'll bet the modified Durso would work, there are easy design mods to make it work in different situations, but if this T with a cap does the job, no need to go any further. Smile

Aloha,
Mark  Hug

P.S.
The Herbie Drain is sensitive to changes in return water flow and changes in sump water level, whereas the quiet operation of the Durso and Modified Durso is unaffected by those variations.

Edited by Mark Peterson - March 03 2016 at 5:48pm
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2016 at 6:11pm
Okay, I have some pics for y'all. You've seen, if you looked at the link posted earlier, the Modified Durso with the stand pipe where prongs are cut to stick up and hold the cap in position. Here is another variation.

Water rolls down a stand pipe; a 1" Class 200 PVC which extends 1/4" into the 2" ABS Cap above.
A 1.5" ABS Cap could have been used to conserve space if required. Class 200 PVC Pipe has a larger inside diameter which allows more water flow.

The Cap was drilled on each side and secured with a Zip Tie around the center brace. In case you're wondering, the entire tank frame was painted white to match the white stand.

The holes for the Zip Tie did not let enough air through so a separate hole was drilled in one side and then another hole on the other side was drilled to let enough air into the Cap to make the drain absolutely silent.

Initially I was dismayed by the fact that this used 30 gal breeder tank had been drilled in the bottom back center, straight below the brace, but I relaxed when I realized this allowed the cap to be positioned perfectly. Big smile

Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Transam View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Transam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2017 at 9:07am
I will post a few pics when I get home. I use the "herbie" style over flow and use a gate valve. Using a gate valve makes the adjustment super easy if you used a normal ball valve it may be tough to adjust I can imagine. Mine has been running for over a year with no issues at all and no adjustments past the initial one. Fellow reefers come over and comment on how quiet my take is compared to theirs using other over flow methods.
Ogden

"Those are my principles. If you don't like them I have others."

Groucho Marx
kevski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2017 at 10:16am
That has been my experience also with my herbie drain setup, people comment all the time how quiet it is... SILENT!
100 G Mixed Reef / AI Hydra 52 HD-T5 Hybrid
kevin.st View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin.st Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2017 at 10:33am
Herbie with a gate valve.  Done.
Transam View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Transam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2017 at 10:35am
^^^ what he said 😃
Ogden

"Those are my principles. If you don't like them I have others."

Groucho Marx
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic