Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

overflow quieting suggestions

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
SFReef View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SFReef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: overflow quieting suggestions
    Posted: February 27 2016 at 10:20pm

What are ways that people use to quiet their overflows? Mine either sounds like a waterfall or it gurgles. I know why it is doing this but now I am wondering how to fix it. I have read a lot of different ways online but am wondering what will work for me. Any suggestions?

Thank you in advance.

kmtfishchannel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kmtfishchannel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2016 at 10:23pm
Mine was making a loud sucking sound and I took a short piece of PVC and put it in the drain down in my filter sock (this will depend of you're set up) below the water surface and it made a huge difference for me!
christhjesus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote christhjesus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2016 at 12:43am
The most effective way I found is to have a gate valve on the return pump and on the overflow.
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2016 at 3:47am
Placing a blockage in the end of the drain pipe is the same principle as a gate valve. If a snail goes down the drain it can cause the tank to overflow. Unhappy

My preferred drain is very quiet and fail safe. I call it the Modified Durso. I'd be happy to describe and show pics upon request. Smile

You said, "...wondering what will work for me." I like that stateent. If you would like my best answer, please post a pic of the overflow.

Aloha,
Mark  Hug
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
SFReef View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SFReef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2016 at 6:38am

I would like to see pics and have a description of any method out there as I am trying to decide what will be best for me. I didn't give this part much thought and was told to just put an elbow up top out of the bulkhead and run tubing or pvc from there to the sump. So my overflow currently is a little too uncomplicated and I now need to fix it. I have looked at a few options but am trying to decide what will be best for me.

Thanks

Reefer4Ever View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reefer4Ever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2016 at 7:38am
If you use a gate valve on the overflow imo you need to make sure you have an emergency overflow, just in case the main drain gets blocked. This is commonly called a modified Durso which enable you to run a full siphon which is silent as there is no air entering the overflow. If you only have two bulkheads then you will need to run your return another way as the second bulkhead would become your emergency overflow.
90 gal reef w/refugium
24 gal softie tank
11 gal nano anemone tank
5 gal fresh water
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2016 at 12:32pm

Originally posted by Reefer4Ever Reefer4Ever wrote:

This is commonly called a modified Durso .
That is incorrect. What Reefer4Ever described and the only method being discussed so far in this thread is the Bean Herbie method. <Edit> the complicated Bean method requires more complicated plumbing that I'd rather not bother with. Smile

I asked to see a pic because first I need to know the space of the overflow/drain area. Only by knowing that, plus a few more things, can I suggest the best solution.

The Modified Durso is a unique, original design, conceived by me after seeing hundreds of overflows and trying dozens of overflow designs over my 20+ years in this hobby. The Modified Durso operates on the same principles as the original brilliantly conceived Durso Drain, but takes half the space and in many cases is quieter than the original Durso. It's also just as simple to make as the original Durso. I have posted pics of it here before, but I hesitate to reveal it again because unless it's seen in action, because it's so simple, because I want no money for it, it's usually not appreciated.

SFReef, I seem to recall that we have met, right? Have you been to my place? 

Aloha,

Mark  Hug

Edited by Mark Peterson - March 02 2016 at 7:22am
jdubb925 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jdubb925 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2016 at 12:41pm
Clearly not my thread but I am very interested in Mark' Modified Durso design
Justin W.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote christhjesus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2016 at 1:36pm

My DT will not overflow.  I designed the sump so the pump will run out of water before the tank will overflow.  

But I guess my sump is different than the OP so what I have done might not be the best option. 

Edited by christhjesus - February 28 2016 at 1:37pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote christhjesus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2016 at 1:43pm
Originally posted by Mark Peterson Mark Peterson wrote:

I have posted pics of it here before, but I hesitate to reveal it again because unless it's seen in action, because it's so simple, because I want no money for it, it's usually not appreciated.

SFReef, I seem to recall that we have met, right? Have you been to my place? 

Aloha,

Mark  Hug

I have seen Marks creation, it is perfectly silent yet simple.

SFReef View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SFReef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2016 at 3:31pm

Thank you to everyone for this discussion. I would love to continue talking about this as well if anyone has any more ideas.

Mark, I have been to your place and I think you were showing me your overflow but I didn't understand it at the time and don't think I could have without having experienced an overflow before. Now that I have, I vaguely remember what your overflow looks like. I can't get up there anytime soon, though. Could you send me pictures and a description? I am sure it will make more sense now that I am seeing what I am seeing.

Thanks again.

Reefer4Ever View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reefer4Ever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2016 at 3:37pm

Edited by Reefer4Ever - February 28 2016 at 3:43pm
90 gal reef w/refugium
24 gal softie tank
11 gal nano anemone tank
5 gal fresh water
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 29 2016 at 11:12am
Okay, before I wrote up this info all over again, I decided to go looking for what's already been said. I wanted to provide information and perhaps spawn other ideas for you. I love that we can search this forum. Heart
Check out these threads:
Noisy drainage - http://utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=43059

I'll add pics of my current Modified Durso as soon as I can, then for future reference I'll add this thread to the Reefkeeping Tips. Smile

Aloha,
Mark  Hug
1stupidpunk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1stupidpunk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 29 2016 at 11:47am

More food for thought. I run a bean animal style drain and I have noticed that algae builds up between the wall of the plastic and the little teeth ... slot... things... on the factory overflow, and when that happens instead of a nice even waterfall cascading into the overflow its more of a super soaker spray and creates a noticeable gurgle.

kevski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2016 at 2:06pm
I just recently set up my 100 g. Tank and started with dual Durso's but after several days of unbearable gurgling down the Durso pipe and the 4+" waterfall noise over the overflow to the Durso inlet I gave up and went with the Herbie design. Ahhhhhh.... Silence (once I got the gate valve dialed in). Love it!!!
100 G Mixed Reef / AI Hydra 52 HD-T5 Hybrid
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2016 at 7:17am
That tweaking of the Gate Valve is the major difficulty with the Herbie design. It may often require monitoring, tweaking and as I said in my first post above, if a Snail, dead fish or piece of crud goes down the Herbie drain it can obstruct the gate valve opening and if an ATO is present, can cause the display tank to flood. Angry

There is also a need, once the Herbie is running, to turn off the return pump to see if all the water that backed up in the overflow can be contained in the Sump/Refugium. I cannot overemphasize the importance of testing the Herbie Drain by turning off the return pump. If it looks like the sump is going to overflow, quickly turn the return pump back on and go back to the drawing board. Confused

I have also seen the difficulty Kevski mentioned regarding the traditional Durso. It can be adjusted to run quiet. The variables are this:

1. Adjust the height of the Durso in the overflow to avoid a waterfall effect
2. Adjust the size of the breather hole in the cap of the Durso to allow just the right amount of air
3. Adjust the flow of the return pump to match the capacity of the Durso
4. There is one more...can't think of it, I'll add it later when I remember Embarrassed

Does anyone here use or want to talk about the complicated Bean method and other designs? Geek

Aloha,
Mark  Hug

Edited by Mark Peterson - March 02 2016 at 7:38am
SFReef View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SFReef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2016 at 7:39am
I was told to put a PVC tee pipe on the back of the tank to help it quiet down so I did that but am not sure what to do now.  It quieted it down a good amount but it sounds like it is draining all the time now (which it is).  I saw somewhere where I can put a cap on and drill a hole in the cap with airline tubing coming from the cap.  Does that work?  Does the modified durso only work if put over where the water overflows into the PVC pipe?  I don't think that is an option unfortunately.  Any other ideas of what I can do by any chance?

Thank you all for your help and ideas.
kevski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2016 at 8:45am
Thats the reason for the emergency drain. So if something does get caught in the siphon drain it can still flow down into the sump. Plus I have a bulkhead screen on the siphon drain to prevent snails, etc from getting in there and a 1/4" plexiglass cover over the overflow so the only thing that could get into the overflow would be of the size that can fit between the overflow teeth. As for the sump, I have a 40 g. capacity that runs with 20 g so I have plenty of extra capacity for the 2.5 gal overflow volume. Granted I have done a small amount of tweaking on the gate valve but only a few times and then it's only to quiet a small trickle sound... Which is still quieter than the Durso running optimally. The Herbie is dead silent.
100 G Mixed Reef / AI Hydra 52 HD-T5 Hybrid
SFReef View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SFReef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2016 at 8:12am

I am trying to load pictures on here as requested but not having luck. If someone can help me figure out how to do that I will certainly be happy to attach those. The overflow is drilled on the back wall of the tank a few inches from the top and a bulkhead is on that hole. I then have a pvc elbow screwed into the bulkhead inside the tank. On top of the elbow is a cone shaped filter type thing.

On the back of the tank I had another elbow screwed into the bulkhead and the clear tubing was run directly to the sump underneath. It sounded like a waterfall and was very loud unless the tubing was draining directly into the sump and not allowing the water to fall into the sump. When I put it directly into the sump there was no air getting into the tube, though, so it sounded like a toilet flushing whenever it needed the air in for flow.

So I was told to try putting a pvc tee on the back of the tank. This allowed me to submerse the end of the tubing, which cuts out a lot of noise, but now it sounds like it is draining nonstop instead. While this is not as loud as before, it is still quite noisy. Any ideas on what to do from here?

Thank you. 

Krazie4Acans View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krazie4Acans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2016 at 9:20am
This link will help with uploading pictures.

http://utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=78772
My ocean.
90g (yup, won it!), 40g, 28g, & 10g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
Tank Thread:
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic