Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Diatoms? Dino? Cyano? Maybe all?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
scfurse77 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scfurse77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Diatoms? Dino? Cyano? Maybe all?
    Posted: February 22 2016 at 1:54pm
Not sure what I'm dealing with here. I initially thought that this was just Diatoms. But now i'm thinking it's something different. I wasn't to worried about this at first. But now its starting to mess with my coral. I know there is a lot of info on this forum about this stuff. But i guess i just need to know what i am dealing with before i can take care of the problem. Hopefully these pictures will tell the story. I know there not the best pictures. But here is was i got.

This is a frag of Frogspawn that is completely covered with this stuff and looks to be smothering it.

This is probably where the problem looks the worst. This Rock should be purple not hairy and brown.

This is the best pic i could get of the sand bed. The stringy stuff on the middle right is what is covering my other stuff.

Edited by scfurse77 - February 22 2016 at 1:54pm
CADLIGHTS 42 Versa, 20 Gallon Sump, ATI Dimmable 8 Bulb T5 w/SbReef Lights Sbar, Bubble Muggus Skimmer and really mad wife :)
Chevmaro View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chevmaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2016 at 2:57pm
Not sure exactly.  I had dino's recently, they don't look like that.  They are stringy with lots of air bubbles trapped beneath them.  I don't think it looks like diatoms either.  Not sure if Cyano comes in green.  Might just be green hair algae?
scfurse77 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scfurse77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2016 at 2:59pm
The pictures make it look more green than it really is. It's defiantly brown in color.
CADLIGHTS 42 Versa, 20 Gallon Sump, ATI Dimmable 8 Bulb T5 w/SbReef Lights Sbar, Bubble Muggus Skimmer and really mad wife :)
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2016 at 8:26pm

I see Hair Algae and Cyano with Diatoms mixed in and covering some of the green.

I see a serious need for lots and lots more Snails and a few Hermits in that tank ASAP. It's a necessary expense in this hobby. The best Snails are discussed in the Reefkeeping Tips. This is the algae bloom we may have warned you about. Snails will clean it up. This is my story. It's worth reading because of how it talks about how many snails were needed. www.garf.org/ugly.html (hope the link still works)

From what I see, there is a slight possibility that some of it is a unique hair-like algae called Bryopsis. In a week or two, after the Snails and Hermits have cleaned up, if there are a few spots of feathery algae, show us a pic so we can ID it. In the Reefkeeping Tips thread (towards the first where I discuss the affordable aquarium) is a link to pics of all the different types of algae we encounter from time to time. It's good to get acquainted with algae.

Aloha,

Mark Hug

Edited by Mark Peterson - February 23 2016 at 8:32pm
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
scfurse77 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scfurse77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2016 at 11:47am
Thanks mark, Just added a bunch of snails. I'll keep you posted. I already had a bunch on hermits. So i'll keep you posted.
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2016 at 12:34pm
Good, I hope a lot of Snails were added, like 40 or more. It will take more than the standard amount of Snails to get that algae under control before it becomes a worse bloom than it already is. 

The importance of Snails cannot be overstated.

My rule of thumb for tanks under one year of age is generally 1 Snail per gallon and 1 Hermit for every 3 gallons.

You said, "I already had a bunch on hermits."  Be careful with Hermits. They are good for eating long filaments of algae but not as good as Snails at keeping it cropped close to the rock. If they are hungry and find out how good a dieing snail tastes, Hermits can sometimes forget about Algae and seek out Snails. They usually only get to that point when the Algae gets cleaned up and snails become compromised by hunger. 

Snails are typically nocturnal. If snails are out all day, it means they are not finding enough to eat at night. At that point, removing a few Snails to give to another aquarium is a good idea.

Aloha,
Mark  Hug
superman1981 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote superman1981 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2016 at 2:34pm
Originally posted by Mark Peterson Mark Peterson wrote:

I see Hair Algae and Cyano with Diatoms mixed in and covering some of the green.

I see a serious need for lots and lots more Snails and a few Hermits in that tank ASAP. It's a necessary expense in this hobby. The best Snails are discussed in the Reefkeeping Tips. This is the algae bloom we may have warned you about. Snails will clean it up. This is my story. It's worth reading because of how it talks about how many snails were needed. www.garf.org/ugly.html (hope the link still works)

From what I see, there is a slight possibility that some of it is a unique hair-like algae called Bryopsis. In a week or two, after the Snails and Hermits have cleaned up, if there are a few spots of feathery algae, show us a pic so we can ID it. In the Reefkeeping Tips thread (towards the first where I discuss the affordable aquarium) is a link to pics of all the different types of algae we encounter from time to time. It's good to get acquainted with algae.

Aloha,

Mark Hug

I've got to second Mark on this. My nano cube was being taken over by Cyano (I realize it has to do with water quality... still working on that). I added a bunch of new hermit crabs and within 2 weeks, they have almost completely decimated it. I don't think they actually eat Cyano, but the sure do a great job and tearing it up so that it doesn't grow all over my LR & sand.
Sure you are, you are Crappy Reef Club Member #1 -Chk4tix

6 gal nanocube
65 gal build thread
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2016 at 3:11pm
And that's how it's done in Mozambique. 

Aloha  Wink
superman1981 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote superman1981 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2016 at 4:35pm
Originally posted by Mark Peterson Mark Peterson wrote:

And that's how it's done in Mozambique. 

Aloha  Wink

There's a reason we have some of the most pristine reefs in the world

Sure you are, you are Crappy Reef Club Member #1 -Chk4tix

6 gal nanocube
65 gal build thread
scfurse77 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scfurse77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 29 2016 at 8:49am
Added a few snails, And changed up my water flow ( Just moved the powerhead to a different spot ) Things are looking ALOT better. PS: Blue Hermit Crabs eat Acan's and Horn Coral. Angry
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 29 2016 at 10:54am
Ouch That's why I say "Snails, Snails, Snails, and a few Hermits" In usual situations a few Hermits cannot do much damage, but they are Omnivores, after all. We have noticed Hermits picking at algae and other growth next to a coral and then see them indiscriminately start to pick at the edges of coral flesh. This damages the flesh causing the edges to die. Hermits eat dieing and dead flesh. The progression of this action to where the coral becomes completely devoured is why some hobbyists stay away from Hermits altogether.

Sorry for your loss.

Aloha,
Mark  Hug
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic