Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

FIRST CLAM ON THE WAY! calling all clam owners

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Fishbot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fishbot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: FIRST CLAM ON THE WAY! calling all clam owners
    Posted: January 25 2016 at 11:48pm
Been in the hobby off and on over 20 years and never actually owned a clam before. Well that changes tomorrow when this guy arrives from live aquaria:

http://m.liveaquaria.com/diversden/ItemDisplay.cfm?c=2733+1&ddid=294167

Size is 1.75"

So I thought I would seek advice from the board. Acclimation, placement - whatever you feel like posting about clams that you think might be helpfull.

Tank specs:

40g breeder w/20 gallon refugium
250w 20k radium and 100w 3k home depot MH on fuge
Bare bottom main tank 3" sand bed in fuge
Extensive macro in fuge
Tank is 5 years old but recently revamped 4 months ago for sps
Numerous sps frags doing great
ConeS skimmer
Carbon and mesh filter sock cleaned often
Weekly 5g Water changes with reef crystals & RoDi
Kalk in ATO
Nitrate .01ppm salifert
Phosphate .03ppm ulr hanna
Alk 8-9dkh
CA 425
MG 1350
SG 34ppt

Edited by Fishbot - January 25 2016 at 11:52pm
As for Fishbot, I am glad that someone can manage to be perceived as a bigger dick than me. --Dion
phys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2016 at 1:50am
Looks fine to me
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2016 at 6:59am
I agree with phys, except for the bare bottom. Tridacna clams will attach themselves to rocks but often they will throw themselves down to the sand. Most like to be in a sand bed.

Follow the acclimation instructions that come with the clam from liveaquaria, or if instructions are missing, call me at 808-345-1049.

If you want that young clam to really thrive, feed it phytoplankton two or three times weekly. The best place to get Phytoplankton in it's easiest and most economical form is www.brineshrimpdirect.com I recommend this: http://www.brineshrimpdirect.com/c6/Tahitian-Blend-Reef-Tank-Formula-c59.html

The way to feed is to add a couple drops of frozen Tahitian Blend Algae Paste(slurry) to a small cup of tank water, stir briefly until mixed then pour directly in to the aquarium. Use enough that it turns the tank water just slightly green. This is part of my "whole tank feeding" regimen. It feeds many kinds of bugs and worms which then provides food for the larger animals on up the "food chain". Clams filter it directly out of the water and along with good light, it helps Tridacna clams grow and flourish.

Aloha,
Mark  Hug

P.S.
This was my favorite Tridacna clam, a 9" Squamosa given to me by a friend.

Another pic of my clams in the past, before prices skyrocketed. Smile (Same Crocea in both pics)

Edited by Mark Peterson - January 26 2016 at 7:12am
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
DMower View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2016 at 7:46am
Put a piece of flat rock or a small flat piece of old coral skeleton under it, I had a large dead chalice piece that I use. It will attach to that then you can still move it around if you need to. I put sand around the piece so it looks like it's on the sand bed.
150 gal reef with 50 gal sump. Reef Octopus DCS-200 Skimmer. AI Sol Blues.
ctreeftank View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ctreeftank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2016 at 9:11am
Also remember that the clam will move
ctreeftank View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ctreeftank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2016 at 9:14am
Mine has moved like 4 or five times before it ancored it self to a flat Rock were its happy
Hogie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hogie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2016 at 9:55am
When you put it in the tank, make sure you "burp" the clam. They can get an air bubble stuck inside them when exposed to air, so you just have to tip it to get any air bubble out.
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2016 at 7:07pm
Good advice.
Since we are on the subject, I hope you don't mind just a little more info. Bringing home my Tridacna squamosa, it was so large that it had to be removed from the friends tank and set endways in a 5 gal bucket of it's tank water. When I put it in my tank, frankly I don't remember if I did anything to allow bubbles to burp. A day or so later I awoke to see it spewing a faint cloud swiftly from it's siphon tube. I then remembered a guest speaker, John Walch, had told us about the clam farms he had set up at several South Pacific islands. Setting really large clams out beside the raceways in the sun for a bit and then putting them back in the raceway caused them to spawn. It's really hard to see, the water had some phyto, but here is the pic of mine doing, what I believed at the time, was spawning. Cool

Fishbot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fishbot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2016 at 8:28pm
Great advice everyone! Thank you! Sure enough i came home to find the clam off the nice rock cradle I made and upside down on the bare bottom. I put him back and he seems to not have injured himself in the ordeal. Not sure what to do next since I don't want a repeat of this ordeal.
As for Fishbot, I am glad that someone can manage to be perceived as a bigger dick than me. --Dion
Bryce View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bryce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2016 at 8:45pm
get 2 inch slice of 3 to 4 inch diameter PVC pipe or a soup bowl. Put a flat rock/or some type of flat coral skeleton in bottom of it (a clam corral/trap). Place clam on top of the flat rock, if needed add a little sand or rocks so clam can stay upright. After a week or 2 the clam's foot will attach to the flat rock or coral. Then move the clam where you want it. Keep an eye on the clam, if you note it starting to detach, he does not like where he is at and move it. Whenever mine was going to move you could tell as the foot would start to release and you could see white strands from it. My clam moved 3 times in 3 years, they are cool but can be a pain.
65g Reef
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2016 at 9:40pm
Like I said, it threw itself off the rocks to be on the sand. As in my pics above, a clam likes to bury itself partway in the sand by using its foot or, as my clam in another tank, to attach to a rock down between rocks or in a wide crack.

Aloha,
Mark  Hug

Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2016 at 7:35am
I love clams.
Here is a good article that includes a section on clam care: http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2007-10/jf/index.php

For reference sake, a later utahreefs forum thread discussing a Tridacna Clam that isn't opening and another that may be opening too wide. http://utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=79523

I just saw a Youtube video of a clam farm in Palau showing clams being moved around. No "burping" They probably burp themselves. Smile

Aloha,
Mark Hug

Edited by Mark Peterson - March 21 2016 at 8:57am
Fishbot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fishbot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2016 at 9:39pm
Thanks Mark! I'll read it right now. Btw Clam is doing great so far. Added a small bowl with sand and he seems as happy as... well a clam! Can someone point me to a sticky on how to attach images to posts?

PS love the blue spotted stingray in your tank above.
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2016 at 7:20am
Pics in posts? We got it. Look in the Reefkeeping Tips. Why did I put it there? Because so many people needed the information.

Aloha,
Mark  Hug

P.S.
Knowledge is power. Read the Reefkeeping Tips and how to set up the affordable aquarium. It will give you knowledge and power.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic