Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Purified Drinking Water?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
kmtfishchannel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kmtfishchannel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Purified Drinking Water?
    Posted: January 25 2016 at 10:41pm
At my local Walmart I want to buy water for topping off my tank. The refill station says it uses RO filter but the company says they add minerals for flavor. Would this hurt my tank in anyway? This is the website of the water company....    http://primewater.com/. I just don't want bad alge growth caused by the minerals. It's ment for drinking but still...
Marcoss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marcoss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2016 at 10:47pm
The best way to know for sure would be to use a TDS meter. Even if it's RO water it may have a dirty filter, etc. producing bad water (or maybe not the best). I'm pretty far away or I'd let you use mine. It's just a little $15 electrical gadget that gives you the TDS value.
RedSea Max S400 - 90G Rimless Frag Tanks x2 - 185 Lookdown Bin
Reefboy4life View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reefboy4life Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2016 at 11:26pm
Originally posted by Marcoss Marcoss wrote:

The best way to know for sure would be to use a TDS meter. Even if it's RO water it may have a dirty filter, etc. producing bad water (or maybe not the best). I'm pretty far away or I'd let you use mine. It's just a little $15 electrical gadget that gives you the TDS value.
          Where did you buy your TDS meter? I seen them on eBay for $5 but not sure I would trust it at that price
90 gallon mixed reef
phys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2016 at 1:58am
Usually they add magnesium and calcium salts... But if you're buying it from Wal-Mart, why no just get distilled water? RODI is much better so if you can find that, Do it. Is one of the lfs down there nearby?
A Reef Oasis View Drop Down
Pet Store
Pet Store

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A Reef Oasis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2016 at 2:31am
We have free RO water. Bring some jugs.
"oh crap where am I going to put that!" bstuver
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2016 at 6:08am
The Walmart stores I know have large water dispensers in their water aisle that provide RO(reverse osmosis) water for about $0.30/gal. They usually can give 20 gals or more in just a few minutes before they need time to refill the internal reservoir. I have recommended that water to hobbyists for over 10 years, to use until they want to get their own RO unit. When I've bought it, I have always checked the TDS at the store before I buy the water. Sometimes, instead of a reading of <10 ppm, I've gotten a reading of around 100 ppm. Then I report it to the store and come back later after they've serviced the unit. A small hand-held TDS meter is a great item. $15-$20 is well worth the money. I wouldn't trust a $5 one from ebay.

This Primewater purification unit sounds different. 

The website says nothing about minerals added for taste. It seems to me that a product ought to give more detailed information as part of it's labeling. 

The pic below is from that website. Their membrane is a little different than an RO membrane. Instead, it runs until it clogs. The water from that membrane should be okay for use in a reef aquarium. According to the website, a filter of Activated Carbon is also used to remove minerals that cause bad taste. 

Are you sure it didn't say something like "competitors products of less pure water have flavors added to mask bad taste"

Until I knew more, I would probably avoid it. There are some hobbyists on this forum that live near you. Two I can think of right off are in Spanish Fork or Mapleton. I would post a request here on the forum "Hobbyists in/near Spanish Fork?". I would get to know them check out their aquariums, pick their brains and ask where they get their water. Maybe they wouldn't mind sharing their RO water with you for a while. Smile

Aloha,
Mark  Hug

Edited by Mark Peterson - January 26 2016 at 6:29am
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Marcoss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marcoss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2016 at 8:22am
Originally posted by Reefboy4life Reefboy4life wrote:

Where did you buy your TDS meter? ...

I purchased my TDS meter from BRS. It must have been on sale at the time since it is now $25 and it came with free calibration fluid. I have an inline one on my RODI unit, but I still double check. 

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/tds-3-handheld-tds-meter-hm-digital.html
RedSea Max S400 - 90G Rimless Frag Tanks x2 - 185 Lookdown Bin
Krazie4Acans View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krazie4Acans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2016 at 9:37am
When in doubt buy distilled water.
My ocean.
90g (yup, won it!), 40g, 28g, & 10g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
Tank Thread:
kmtfishchannel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kmtfishchannel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2016 at 12:25pm
Sorry I entered the website wrong... Here is the website I was talking about for the water station at my local Walmart. Sorry about that hahaha

http://www.primowater.com/Home.aspx

http://www.primowater.com/Water.aspx

Edited by kmtfishchannel - January 26 2016 at 12:30pm
jfinch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2016 at 1:27pm
It's fine (assuming it's working as advertised).  

Sediment filter -> AC filter -> RO -> UV

Reefer4Ever View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reefer4Ever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2016 at 4:13pm
How does one test the TDS before buying it?
90 gal reef w/refugium
24 gal softie tank
11 gal nano anemone tank
5 gal fresh water
jfinch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2016 at 4:31pm
As Mark suggests, walk in with a TDS meter in hand and test.  If it's under 20 ppm I'd say it's working fine.  If you want it under 10 ppm you're going to need DI on the tail end and this water system doesn't have it.  The UV sterilization is not needed for reef water, imo (not even needed for drinking water imo :) ).
Fatman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2016 at 5:04pm
I ran out of water on a tanks set up for a friend. We picked up 20 gallons at the WalMart purified water station. I took a cup and a TDS meter. Showed 8 PPM so we bought it and used it.
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2016 at 6:42pm
Good to know that Walmart is still providing that same good water. Clap

A cupful from the Primo dispenser or a gallon brought home can be tested. A properly functioning, good quality RO unit should produce water that is less than 10 ppm but if it rises above 20 ppm that means it's time to start thinking about changing the membrane. Good thing is, it goes bad slowly so even after 100 more gallons the TDS may have only risen to 30 ppm. Considering that city water tests anywhere from 200 to over 500 ppm, 20 ppm is still darn pure and good tasting water. 

I'm a water geek, using and studying this since 1999. Geek I've used RO water for drinking so long now that I can taste the difference when the membrane needs replacing. 

The difference between RO water at 2-10 ppm TDS and RO water that has gone through De-Ionizing resin coming out at 0-2 ppm is negligible to a reef aquarium and a difference in taste is undetectable to me. I choose not to pay the extra cost of DI since it makes no difference to my reef and my taste buds. 

Aloha,
Mark  Hug
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2016 at 6:05am
This RO unit is only $60 from a hobbyist in Pleasant Grove, posted yesterday.
Be sure to ask how long it was used, producing approximately how many gallons. When was the last time the sediment filter, carbon filter, and RO membrane were changed, if ever. An RO membrane should produce 5000 gallons while the filters should be changed every 6 months or so, Call/text me on the spot to get immediate help/answers to questions. 808-345-1049

Aloha,
Mark  Hug
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic