Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

When do you feed?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
jfinch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: When do you feed?
    Posted: July 23 2003 at 7:16pm

When and what do you feed your corals?

Marcus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marcus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2003 at 9:24pm
I feed my entire tank a combo of flake and frozen brine.  I also direct feed my LPS krill.  I usually feed in the evening, cause I work early in the morning.  I try to feed every other day.
jfinch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2003 at 9:26pm

Marcus, do you spot feed every other day or less frequent?  Do you have any trouble with other inhabitants (fish, shrimp) stealing the krill from the coral?

Marcus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marcus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2003 at 9:38pm
what does "spot feed" mean?  My clowns fish steals krill from the brain that is next to the anemone.  My crabs take brine from my sun polyps.  But that's life I guess.
jfinch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2003 at 10:42pm

Spot feed is what you are doing when you feed a piece of krill to your LPS or anemone.  I don't think I made that phrase up (but I am tired right now)...

The reason I asked this question is that the polyps on my SPS corals don't open up until after lights out... just wondering if they would benefit from a little phyto after lights out?

ewaldsreef View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ewaldsreef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2003 at 10:56pm

I feed 2 times a day.  After work 5:00 pm and before bed at about 9:30

I try and target feed my corals 3 times a week. I feed formula one, marine cusine , frozen brine, krill and flake food. 

Contact me for professional aquarium maintenance and localy grown coral frags. [URL=http://www.aquatitranquility.com][/URL]

Marcus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marcus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2003 at 11:28pm
I only spot feed when I think about it.  That turns out to be about oce a week or so.  I do not know what to tell you about you SPS not openning until after the lights go out.  Maybe Jake or Mark might know why that is.  The polyps on my SPS are out day and night, but more during the day.  The sweeper tentacles on my LPS are out at night, but they are still "puffy" during the day.  I do not think it would hurt to try feeding you SPS at night.  Maybe do it for two weeks and see if you notice a change.
John Fletcher View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Fletcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2003 at 7:33am
I feed my tank an hour before lights out for the fish and when it is lights out I feed my sps.  The food is different for the corals than the fish, it is finer.  Seems to be working for me.
John Fletcher

20 years experience

(Tank of the Month for May 2003)Taking a little break...
jfinch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2003 at 9:26am
Maybe the question I should be asking is "is it normal for my sps to only open up when the lights are out"?  How do I get them to open up during the day?  I don't have a lot of sps so maybe it's just species specific and I don't have the ones that open during the day?
John Fletcher View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Fletcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2003 at 1:24pm

Jon, My acro open both during the day and at night.  I think it all depends on the speciies of acro.

John

John Fletcher

20 years experience

(Tank of the Month for May 2003)Taking a little break...
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2003 at 1:43pm

Many many corals only open at night.  That is when the plankton levels are highest (naturally).  So no need to open in the day, actually it is a trade off, but not worth getting into here.  Not sure how well our tanks, or your tank replicates this natural cycle, but maybe that is why. 

I would suggest adding rotifers to your tank to see if that helps them open during the day.  Hope this helps, and makes sence.

Adam

Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
Brad A. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brad A. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2003 at 3:33pm

All of the acros's and other sps  in my tank extend polyps during the day and night.  However, I notice that at night the polyp extention is much greater.

This is only based on my experience with my tank, when my acros dont open up during the day I usually can find something wrong with my tank. Ex, dead animal, high nitrates, or temp problems (most common prob for me), pH (second most common prob).

I only have about 27 sps colonies with about 19 or 20 being different species (as far as I can tell or guess) and they all open during the day.

Hope that helps. Like Adams said it may be nothing to get excited over, but you may want to consider checking  a few tank params just in case there may be something you can fix.

Brad A. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brad A. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2003 at 3:37pm
Oh, back to the original question.  I feed golden pearls (smallest size) and live phyto after the lights go out.
jfinch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2003 at 4:41pm

I'll do another round of tests tonight, but they've never been bad and my acros never open during the day (well they're kinda open... just not really extended).  Maybe it has something to do with the softies in the tank (reference to Marcus's thread)?  I'm not real worried about, they are growing.  I think I'll start feeding a little phyto after the lights go out.

Does anyone local sell Golden Pearls?

Brad A. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brad A. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2003 at 9:34pm

http://www.brineshrimpdirect.com/golden-pearls.html

I haven't heard of anyone selling GP's local, except the local business. 

Have you fed your tank with GP's before?  There is an excellent discussion (many of them actually) on how to dose them on reefcentral. Most important thing is to start with a small dose and slowly increase over a period of time.

They're finally back! 

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic