Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Bryopsys or hair algae

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
broncobilly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote broncobilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bryopsys or hair algae
    Posted: November 14 2015 at 9:33am
I was sure I had bryopsys algae so I dosed my tank with tech M got my level to 1840 but still not killing it as I look closer at the algae now it looks mor like hair algae.could I have killed the bryopsys and now have a hair algae problem?
Denver Broncos #1
65GAL & 10GAL SALT WATER REEF
150GAL & 55GAL FRESH WATER.
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2015 at 4:39pm
Bryopsis is not that common. I'll bet it's Hair Algae. You saw my post in your introductory thread about that, right?  http://utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=78183&KW=&PID=602941&title=hello-from-west-jordan#602941 The answers are there for the ways to deal with Hair Algae including the link to the thread specifically about eliminating Hair Algae. 

Why am I so confident that I know what you are dealing with? I dealt with a Hair Algae bloom early in my career in this hobby. Since 1995 I've helped countless hobbyists deal with these nuisance algae issues. Feel free to post a pic here or contact me if you'd like suggestions more specific to your situation. Here is my story about the Ugly Green Haired Mermaid: http://www.garf.org/ugly.html

Aloha,
Mark  Hug

P.S.
Some have found that a Sea Hare worked for them, but most of the time a Sea Hare does not do the job and herbivorous fish are also hit and miss. Hermits and Snails always do the job. Smile
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
phys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2015 at 8:48pm
if you could post a pic of it, it would be a lot easier to identify

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote broncobilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2015 at 7:00am

I took some to the fish store and it is hair algae I feel dumb!
But now I can treat the tank right I got more snails because I was killing them with the tech M and got some phosGuard in my sump hope to rid myself of this mermaid hair I like blonde's ;)
Denver Broncos #1
Reefer4Ever View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reefer4Ever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2015 at 8:32am
I would remove as much of it as you can. I'm not saying snails and crabs won't get the job done, but this is generally caused by excess nutrients in the water. If you have a sump I would get a light over it and start growing some macro algae, which a lot of us on the forum give away for free. I would also look at the amount you are feeding your fish, my guess would be this is where the problem lies. Cut back on feedings drastically. What fish do you have, what do you feed and how often?
90 gal reef w/refugium
24 gal softie tank
11 gal nano anemone tank
5 gal fresh water

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote broncobilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2015 at 8:49am
I have 3 clowns and 9 damsels and 1 anemone  i feed once a day a pinch of flake food i get from benepets and myisys  srimp twice a week + silver side 1 a month I have a light on my sump and i put one of my rocks that had a lot of the hair agile on it in their. was that a good idea? if anyone near West Jordan has some good macro algae for sale let me know?
Denver Broncos #1

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Reefer4Ever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2015 at 9:04am
In my experience I have found flake food to have one of the highest levels of phosphates which gha love ;) all of your fish are very hardy fish. I would cut back feedings to every other day. How big is your tank and sump? I would get rid of the gha in the sump and get some macro algae. I'm in south weber if you wanted a drive today. Mine is a mix of chaeto and calurpa. No cost other than gas. Again there is always more than one way to skin a cat, I just think getting to the root problem and fixing that is the best way. Otherwise you're just putting on bandaids.
90 gal reef w/refugium
24 gal softie tank
11 gal nano anemone tank
5 gal fresh water

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote broncobilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2015 at 9:35am
my tank is a 65gal and my sump is a 20gal.
so maybe Ill just feed the mysis only. every other day. ill save the flakes for my cichlids!
so should i pick all the gha out of my sump now or when I get some macro algae to replace it? 
thanks for all the help and the offer on the chaeto your awsome but I dont think ill be making that drive today.
Denver Broncos #1

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reefer4Ever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2015 at 4:51pm
I work in sandy right off 90th south and can bring some with me on Monday if you're interested. I would remove as much of it as you can.
90 gal reef w/refugium
24 gal softie tank
11 gal nano anemone tank
5 gal fresh water

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote broncobilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2015 at 5:15pm
that would be awesome I work off 90th in sandy too. where do I meet you at?
Denver Broncos #1
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic