Utah Reefs Homepage
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - 150 Deep Dimension with Basement Sump and FragTank
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

150 Deep Dimension with Basement Sump and FragTank

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
PharmaSki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PharmaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 150 Deep Dimension with Basement Sump and FragTank
    Posted: October 18 2015 at 3:22pm
I've been working on a whole new set up at my house and wanted to share. I currently have a 75 gallon reef tank that has been running for about a year and a half.

This has been a good tank but space is limited and as I'm sure many of you can relate I wanted something bigger. The hardest part about going bigger was not finding what I wanted or where to put it but convincing the wife. Here is what I did. We currently have 3 bedrooms in our house, two are occupied and the third bedroom contains this tank. That meant all I had to do was to find someone to occupy this room so the tank had to go somewhere else. As soon as my wife found out she was pregnant she gave me the thumbs up to put a tank in the other roomThumbs Up. I made sure she knew it wasn't going to be this tank but one that would look good in our main room, she didn't care because she just wants this out of that bedroom. It worked like magic and I got right to ordering the new set up.

I went with the 150 Deep Dimension because it fit the space much better than any 6 foot tank. The good thing about ordering a Driftwood stand is that Dion can save your hide when it comes to something you don't think about. I wanted the tank to sit higher than the banister so the side view wasn't lost. After I ordered it he called to make sure it would fit through the door... The big problem with a deep dimension tanks is they don't fit through standard door ways without being turned sideways. I measured everything and found, with height of the stand that I wanted, the stand itself would not fit through the door. Can you imagine coming home with a new set up that you can't get through the front door... So if you look close you can see that the stand itself has a pedestal that it sits in to give it the height back. I am so glad Dion had me measure!

The canopy opens from two sides so I can get to the back of the tank a lot easier.

Anyway, that is the story of this tank. Sorry if it was boring.
Yes, I'm a Pharmacist.
No, the blue lights at my house are not growing "pharmaceuticals"...
bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2015 at 3:53pm
Gorgeous can't wait to see it filled.

Edited by bstuver - October 18 2015 at 3:53pm
Jackie Stuver

"wait these aren't the happy Hawaiians oompa doompa godly heaven on your face zoas?   I dont want them then. lol!" Ksmart
sleepingdeep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sleepingdeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2015 at 7:56am
you mean all i have to do to get a bigger tank is have a baby?! brb.
PharmaSki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PharmaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2015 at 10:33pm
Thanks Jackie, I can't wait either.
Yes, I'm a Pharmacist.
PharmaSki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PharmaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2015 at 10:37pm
sleepingdeep that is exactly what I am saying. Who knew it was so easy...
Yes, I'm a Pharmacist.
PharmaSki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PharmaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2015 at 10:49pm
Ok, here are the pictures that will be more interesting than the story behind the tank.

I had Tyler at Elite Aquatics make me this sump. It is 60x20x15. I am thinking about drilling a hole for a bulk head and valve to go from the refugium to the return and one from the return to outside so I can do easy water changes.

Mixing station to make things easier.

Another. In the back corner is the frag tank that I plan on using as a transfer tank then I might tie it into the other system and use it as a grow out tank.

Yes, I'm a Pharmacist.
will View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote will Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2015 at 12:02pm
Hahaha best opening story ever. That's looking good man I'm jealous. How do you get a water tight seal on those blue drums?
ttabbal View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ttabbal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2015 at 12:20pm
I can't be sure, but they look like either bulkheads or uniseals. I used some uniseals on Brute cans for my water storage/mixing setup and they work great. They are also pretty cheap, <$2 from BRS.
PharmaSki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PharmaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2015 at 1:04pm
Ha, Thanks Will! I actually have bulkhead and uniseals on both drums. They're so big it's pretty much flat where I drilled the holes.
Yes, I'm a Pharmacist.
Hogie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hogie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2015 at 12:47am
Update?
Hogie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hogie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2015 at 11:22pm
Hey! How's the cycling going? What's it testing out at?
PharmaSki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PharmaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2015 at 9:13am
Hogie where is your Tank Thread? I haven't seen a single thing...

As for an update.

Here is what I have for equipment so far,

-Lights: Maxspect Razors 120w-16000K (because that is what I already have)
-Pumps: Danner Supreme Aqua-Mag 24 (going submersible)
       2 MP40W
-Skimmer: ESHOPPS S-300
-Neptune Apex
-Bubble Magus Dosing Pump
-Spectrapure ATO Ultra-Precise Level Controller II (Love this thing BTW)
-BRS GFO and Carbon Dual Reactor (might just run carbon in it... might get separate reactor for
GFO... I've always just used Chemi-pure elite in between the baffles of my sump so I'm new to
carbon and gfo reactors but chemi-pure elite is expensive so I'm looking to go a different direction.)
-Home Depot clamp light for refugium

Frag Tank:
-Maxspect Razor 120w-16000K
-Jebao DC 12000
-Bubble Magus Curve 7

I love how you can take these Eshopps skimmers completely apart to clean it. I picked this up used after OCD Reefs figured out they only needed two of them to skim all of their fish displays instead of three.

Aquascaping happened... It took way longer than it should have but I knew what I wanted to do in my mind so it felt like putting together a 10,000 piece puzzle. I also used a couple of acrylic rods and one fiberglass rod.

Ed, here is where I'm at now and the cycling is like watching paint dry...

My last test looked like this. The Left 3 are the Frag tank the Right 3 are the 150.

Edited by PharmaSki - November 12 2015 at 9:13am
Yes, I'm a Pharmacist.
PharmaSki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PharmaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2016 at 9:22pm
It feels like a lot has changed since my last update so I took some new pictures of where I'm at now.

I cycled the tank for about a month before I first added 3 firefish to the tank. Since then I have added 2 banggai, a red banded goby and a pistol shrimp. I let a green anemone loose on the rocks so it could hopefully find a comfortable spot to stay put before I put coral in and I put another anemone in the EA acclimation box to introduce my clowns to an anemone. I origianally put 5 clowns in the box with the anemone but later found one partially digested by the nem and another was M.I.A. so I guess it was lunch....

I have also been slowly moving all my coral down to the frag tank and adding equiptment along the way. I finally have all of the coral downstairs so I can hopefully sell the 75 gallon soon.

Thanks for looking.
Yes, I'm a Pharmacist.
Hogie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hogie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2016 at 11:58pm
can you get a pic of the goby shrimp pair?

Edited by Hogie - January 04 2016 at 11:59pm
Marcoss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marcoss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2016 at 8:24am
Dang man, that is coming along nicely! I love the idea of a basement sump, especially since it is not on the ground. 
RedSea Max S400 - 90G Rimless Frag Tanks x2 - 185 Lookdown Bin
PharmaSki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PharmaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2016 at 10:40pm
Thanks Marcoss. I highly recommend the basement sump to anyone that has the option. I'm not a very good contortionist when it comes the sump in the stand thing...

Hogie, the shrimp and goby decided to make this week's home at the back of the tank. This is the best picture they'd let me get and it's their reflection taken with my phone.

Yes, I'm a Pharmacist.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic