Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Car Restoration Shops?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Car Restoration Shops?
    Posted: May 30 2015 at 12:31pm
I've got a 1989 Mustang GT that I want to get somewhat restored (not show quality, but not MAACO either). It needs paint and some body work. It also needs an engine rebuild and electrical work.

If you know of a good shop, let me know!

Thanks!
Nikki
www.reefdup.com
Diving since 2009, reefkeeping since 2007, & fishkeeping since 1987
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
DMower View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2015 at 2:20pm
What kind of engine work do you want done? I've built an engine before from top to bottom on an 88 gt I used to have. If you need a machine shop. I have a good one in mind that my family has used to build several engines for us. I would use two different shops. One for the engine work etc. and another for body/paint.

150 gal reef with 50 gal sump. Reef Octopus DCS-200 Skimmer. AI Sol Blues.
ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2015 at 3:32pm
It's got 260,000 miles on the engine, so it is time to rebuild. I'm not looking to do anything crazy...maybe just heads, cam, and a few tweaks to get a bit more out of her. I've rebuilt a few engines back in the day, but I just don't have the time for it anymore.

I was hoping to find a shop that would handle it all...paint the engine bay while the engine was being rebuilt. It's not registered, so I hope to only tow it once or twice.

What all did you do to your 88?
www.reefdup.com
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
love2skiutah View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote love2skiutah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2015 at 4:39pm
Look at kindigit.com 

IMO, he's one of the best in Utah.  I've had 4 of my friends do their cars there.  64 Caddy, 60 Vette, 72 Bronco and 72 Datsun.  I believe all their cars are on his site too.  I've had several of my Mercedes and Range Rovers done in LA at Platinum Motor Sport if you want to send it down there.  They do mostly newer exotics, but I've seen a lot of amazing vintage celebrity cars come out of their shop.  

I'm sure Dion knows some good places too.  He finished his car just a bit ago.  
ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2015 at 6:23pm
Yeaah...might not have the budget for that level...nor is an 89 Mustang worth that sort of investment. 😏

I wish...
www.reefdup.com
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
DMower View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2015 at 7:35pm
I ordered a built long block bored .30 over. Windsor jr heads. Edelbrock intake. 65 mm throttle body. Can't remember which cam. Headers. Larger exhaust. 3.73 Gears. Sub frame connectors. Upper and lower control arms. Lowering springs. Ignition. NOS system. Stereo. And a bit more. I did it all myself.   Rims and tires of course. Mine was a convertible.

I would have the engine compartment cleared out. Then have it towed to a body shop. Then back for re assembly.   If your going to reuse parts I would have a machine shop do the engine work. Gordon Johnson machine shop in Bountiful is who I would use. There are several good body shops in bountiful as well.   If you have any questions about what to do I'm very familiar with the fox body Mustangs.

Edited by DMower - May 30 2015 at 7:36pm
DMower View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2015 at 7:50pm
I just browsed ksl. There are a few decent engine options on the cheaper side listed.
DMower View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2015 at 8:00pm
You haven't mentioned budget at all. That wiould be the biggest factor. There is a 89 gt convertible on ksl that already has the engine and transmission done for three thousand. Would be cheaper than starting from scratch unless your interior; trim, etc. is already in perfect shape.
ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2015 at 10:49pm
The car has sentimental value. The interior is in pretty good shape.
www.reefdup.com
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
Corey Price View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Corey Price Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2015 at 11:00pm
My friend Brooke is in Ogden and does great work- BPR Restorations. He has several Mustangs and does all kinds of cars but specializes in AMC cars.
ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2015 at 6:07am
Thanks...I'll check it out!
www.reefdup.com
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
justchillinuno View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote justchillinuno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2015 at 10:42am
Being an owner of a Classic Show Quality car... I would have to recommend 2 places.... 1st is for paint and body - Johnny Raw Tin garage.... FLAT OUT AMAZING and great to work with.... For Mechanical work I suggest Norms Garage....

Hands down highly recommended in the Hot Rod Community.....

If you want something simple beautiful without breaking the bank... Track down Gary Ellison at Dent Master international... he does amazing work on the side... 

Pic of car =)

55g - RIP - Moved to 90g
36g Bow holding tank
90g Reef Tank
Dreams of many more!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote justchillinuno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2015 at 10:44am
Also.... Kindig It is amazing... but so is the end cost.....  He laughed at me thinking i couldnt afford his work...... little did he know.....
55g - RIP - Moved to 90g
36g Bow holding tank
90g Reef Tank
Dreams of many more!
ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2015 at 12:13pm
Thanks!! In a few weeks I'm going to start visiting these places.

Gorgeous car btw
www.reefdup.com
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote justchillinuno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2015 at 9:56am
Thank you... If you need Haloheadlights.... please PM me... I am the west coast area sales manager for HaloHeadlight.co

Also PM me if you would like any more info as I am heavily involved in the Classic Car Community! 
55g - RIP - Moved to 90g
36g Bow holding tank
90g Reef Tank
Dreams of many more!
Crzyfshguy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crzyfshguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2015 at 2:37am
Brock Or Heath at Premier Performance In West Jordan for the engine work. They are truly the Best around for Mustangs, But they do work on all makes and models. Also, They can recommend a good paint shop that they can work with. If you strike out I know quite a few guys in the business.

Also, If you aren't a member of UtahStangs.org, you should be! They are an invaluable source of parts and knowledge, as well as cool shows and cruises.  There are several people in the group who also do engine work and paint work. They also have a facebook group. Ive been a member since 2003 and I am still close with alot of the people even though I decided after owning 8 Mustangs it was time to try a GM.
45G w/ leds
15G sump
MP10es

ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2015 at 3:55pm
Ok, since I had the day off, I went to a few different shops in the Ogden/Layton area. I wasn't able to visit some of the further ones (or ones that were closed today for the holiday tomorrow).

It's funny...I got quotes from $2500 up to $20,000 for the body work alone. The very first one was $20k, so I'm glad I kept looking. Granted, the $2.5k place scared me, but somewhere in between would be nice!

I'll keep searching, and hopefully visit some of the places recommended on here. Just haven't had time yet to make it so far south.

Thanks all.
www.reefdup.com
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
Dion Richins View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dion Richins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2015 at 12:37pm
I paid 7k for the body and paint on mine. (very little body work) I did all the running gear my self but am in it well over 10k on that end. New interior was several thousand as well. Its all in what you want to spend. I priced out the body and paint from several places and settled on A-Car in salt lake. I had quotes like yours. No way would I go with the $2500 for paint alone not counting any body work. Good quality paint and material will be in the 1k for your car. I will be looking for some one new for my 56 f-100. (A-Car was bought out and I don't like the new owners)

Bad "censored" Cabinets
Best quality in the valley! He is one sexy bald guy, even with out a finger!(MAC)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic