Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Zoas not Opening

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
relethg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote relethg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Zoas not Opening
    Posted: March 17 2015 at 10:27am
I have about 6 different kinds of Zoas in my 45 gallon shallow. I have two small colonies (12-16 heads) that extend but only a few open all the way. Most just extend and they extend further than they did when purchased (by double) and they have grown in numbers from 8 in the last 45 days.

Why are they not opening?

I have moved them in and out of flow, changed the amount of light they get, blasted them with turkey baster, and even rubbed them. I don't understand how they are multiplying but not opening if they are not happy.

What else can I try?

Will try and get some pictures up, but I am working on getting the 210 wet.

Tank parameters:

http://utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=74112&title=tank-cycle-numbers

Temp 78

Salinity 1.025

PH 8

Alk 8.4 DKH

Ca 430

Mg 1200

No2 0.1

No3 2

PO4 0

NH3 0

210 G Filled 18 Mar 15
120 G Filled 11 Jun 16
Marcoss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marcoss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2015 at 10:33am
I don't know why they are not opening, but food might help. Have you tempted them to open with something like Reef Roids/Reef Chili? Opens mine every time.
RedSea Max S400 - 90G Rimless Frag Tanks x2 - 185 Lookdown Bin
bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2015 at 10:41am
Have you looked at them really close at night with a flash light? Making sure they don't have any zoa eating nudibranchs as they will irritate them and cause them not to open.
Jackie Stuver

"wait these aren't the happy Hawaiians oompa doompa godly heaven on your face zoas?   I dont want them then. lol!" Ksmart
relethg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote relethg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2015 at 10:42am
I have dusted them with reef roids with the turkey baster. I also feed the tank weekly with BSD and new wave products.
210 G Filled 18 Mar 15
120 G Filled 11 Jun 16
relethg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote relethg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2015 at 10:44am

Originally posted by bstuver bstuver wrote:

Have you looked at them really close at night with a flash light? Making sure they don't have any zoa eating nudibranchs as they will irritate them and cause them not to open.

I have not and will check that tonight.

Thanks

210 G Filled 18 Mar 15
120 G Filled 11 Jun 16
proskier101 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote proskier101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2015 at 11:21am
since it is a shallow tank...could the lighting be too intense?  they arent opening since its too much? 
Bryce View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bryce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2015 at 11:28am
Mine always close up when the multiply, close a few days then a baby appears.
65g Reef
Pete Moss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pete Moss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2015 at 11:28am
I have only ever had four things cause a situation like this when my parameters were in check.

1 ) Zoa Pox
2 ) Zoa Eating Nudibranch
3 ) salinity swings
4 ) acclimation

Furan-II can be successfully used to get rid of zoa pox. If you look carefully at your zoanthids and see white pimples all over the polyps and stalks, it is likely zoa pox. Some paly's have naturaly white speckling don't panic if you see that, if you see physical bumps it is the POXXXX

Zoa eating nudi's are a different beast all together. You're in for a fun ride if you find them. A wrasse never hurts if you can get it to eat them.

Do you have an auto top-off? If you don't, I suggest getting one. Some zoanthids are extremely sensitive to even the smallest salinity swings

Zoanthids, especially new ones, sometimes take 1-3 months to adapt to new lighting. I've had zoanthids not open up for a month, then once they adjusted were healthy and happy from that moment going forward. It is also a possibility that they are still acclimating to your conditions.

Edited by Pete Moss - March 17 2015 at 3:02pm
125g 90g 2x33g 34g
What stores do I recommend?
Up North: Bill ( Saltwater Paradise 801-317-8115 )
Down South: Jerry ( Reef On 801-563-0600 )

Member of GCFB
relethg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote relethg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2015 at 12:40pm

Originally posted by proskier101 proskier101 wrote:

since it is a shallow tank...could the lighting be too intense?  they arent opening since its too much? 

I have lowered the intensity of the lights for them. Too the point that the other corals stopped opening fully. I have moved them so they would get different light.

210 G Filled 18 Mar 15
120 G Filled 11 Jun 16
Pete Moss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pete Moss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2015 at 12:57pm
I've blasted zoanthids with some pretty beefy lights, they don't seem to mind high intensity lighting.
125g 90g 2x33g 34g
What stores do I recommend?
Up North: Bill ( Saltwater Paradise 801-317-8115 )
Down South: Jerry ( Reef On 801-563-0600 )

Member of GCFB
relethg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote relethg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2015 at 1:41pm

Originally posted by Pete Moss Pete Moss wrote:

I've blasted zoanthids with some pretty beefy lights, they don't seem to mind high intensity lighting.

I also find that true, I had turned my whites up to high and smoked a birds nest frag and all the zoas Loved it. I think (or) hope the birds nest is coming back. The Radion Pro just has more white power than can be used in this shallow of a tank even with the 120 degree lenses.

It must be a pest I have not seen.

210 G Filled 18 Mar 15
120 G Filled 11 Jun 16
Marcoss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marcoss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2015 at 1:46pm
Here I go again. Saying stuff I don't know about...

I have noticed that some of my zoas do well in places that they are not recommend in. For instance, I have zoas that are red/blue/gold in higher areas than I have my green zoas. I have noticed that the aforementioned colors each do better in certain areas. That goes against what people say is common. I also have a leather that is sitting next to an SPS. It only ever gets extension up there, but when I bring it down lower, it acts dead. Even after letting it adjust for days.

I used to put green zoas up with the red/blue/gold, but they did not perform as well. Long story short; it might be placement. Some zoas might do well where they are and others not. Thats the awesome thing about this hobby; everything is unique.

Marcos

relethg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote relethg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2015 at 1:55pm

Marcoss,

I think you comments are spot on. I wish there was some hard fast rules for corals, but instead it is just guidelines for lighting. The lighting part of this hobby is turning out to be the most difficult to figure out and I don't want to earn a doctorate in lighting to figure it out. I love my light I only wish I new what the corals needed so I can provide them exactly what they need. What I have read and the club meeting we just had has been helpful.

210 G Filled 18 Mar 15
120 G Filled 11 Jun 16
Reefer4Ever View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reefer4Ever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2015 at 2:12pm
Out in left field question, do you dose anything for nitrate control?
90 gal reef w/refugium
24 gal softie tank
11 gal nano anemone tank
5 gal fresh water
relethg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote relethg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2015 at 2:20pm

Originally posted by Reefer4Ever Reefer4Ever wrote:

Out in left field question, do you dose anything for nitrate control?

No, I dose Ca and alk (BRS two part) with a dosser and mag once a month. I run GAC all the time and GFO when needed.

210 G Filled 18 Mar 15
120 G Filled 11 Jun 16
Marcoss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marcoss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2015 at 3:51pm
I just observed my cleaner shrimp hovering/swimming over my zoa and paly area. The closure of each was like a domino effect. Some are still not open. Do you think something, I assume harmless in this case, is touching and agitatingn the Zoas? Could explain why some on the same frag are okay. Just an observation.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote proskier101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2015 at 3:54pm
my gf cleaner plays the palys like a drum set.  just hits everyone of them to close them the runs off to the next rock and hits them all once.
relethg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote relethg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2015 at 8:39am
OK 3 AM check complete. I was up anyway putting third batch of water in the 210. I have these very little white dots that move on the two colonies that are not opening. They are like half a grain of sand in size. I thought Nudi's are bigger. Anyway I want to dip them in Bayer, will that work? Then do it about every 5 days for a couple of weeks.

Thanks for all the help.
210 G Filled 18 Mar 15
120 G Filled 11 Jun 16

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote proskier101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2015 at 9:13am
before you do that.  could those be copods? 

size is about right.
relethg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote relethg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2015 at 9:18am
They look smaller than any pods I have seen. And they are only on those two colonies. Like I say they are a moving white spec, about half a grain of sand and white in color. Are there pods like that?
210 G Filled 18 Mar 15
120 G Filled 11 Jun 16
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic