Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Zoas not Opening

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
proskier101 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote proskier101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2015 at 9:25am
Originally posted by relethg relethg wrote:

They look smaller than any pods I have seen. And they are only on those two colonies. Like I say they are a moving white spec, about half a grain of sand and white in color. Are there pods like that?

i was thinking half a grain of rice for some reason.  not sure what they are.

IMO if you dip them and you kill good pod/critters.  they will grow back.  if you dip and kill bad stuff.  well youre making progress.
Pete Moss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pete Moss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2015 at 10:51am
If it was pods, what are they doing crawling on the zoas?

They're not opening, and there is something on them at night. Sounds like something is munching on them.

Bayers dip MIGHT help. I've had zoa eating nudibranchs that bayers did nothing for. I highly recommend doing a bayers dip and getting a hungry wrasse and seeing if that helps at all. Doing a dip at night when the critters are out might be the best idea.

Edited by Pete Moss - March 18 2015 at 10:52am
125g 90g 2x33g 34g
What stores do I recommend?
Up North: Bill ( Saltwater Paradise 801-317-8115 )
Down South: Jerry ( Reef On 801-563-0600 )

Member of GCFB
relethg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote relethg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2015 at 12:24pm

What is a good dip for Nudibranch's? Other threads on Reef Central say Coral RX.

I can tell you this, I have looked at a ton of photos on the internet of Zoa eating Nudibranch's and none look this small or nondescript.

210 G Filled 18 Mar 15
120 G Filled 11 Jun 16
Mike Savage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2015 at 2:54pm
Flatworm eXit worked for me with Zoa eating Nudis.

relethg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote relethg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2015 at 3:08pm

Mike did you mix it per directions and use it as a dip?

210 G Filled 18 Mar 15
120 G Filled 11 Jun 16
Pete Moss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pete Moss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2015 at 3:19pm
I'd dose the entire tank. There are more in the tank than what you're seeing on the colonies.
125g 90g 2x33g 34g

Member of GCFB
relethg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote relethg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2015 at 3:27pm

Originally posted by Pete Moss Pete Moss wrote:

I'd dose the entire tank. There are more in the tank than what you're seeing on the colonies.

I would rather try and dip just the Zoas that are in the tank. They are all on removable rocks. Just don't like the idea of dosing a tank this young. And Bayer would kill my crabs and snails I thought. Or do you mean to dose the tank with flatworm exit that mike recommended?

Glenn

210 G Filled 18 Mar 15
120 G Filled 11 Jun 16
Pete Moss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pete Moss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2015 at 3:30pm
Flatworm exit. Don't dose the tank with bayers, that would essentially start your cycle over.
125g 90g 2x33g 34g

Member of GCFB

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2015 at 9:55pm
Originally posted by relethg relethg wrote:

Mike did you mix it per directions and use it as a dip?

I use it as a dip.

I have also used it to treat small tanks at a 4X dosage but I don't really recommend this as it kills of a lot of other microfauna in the tank too.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2015 at 10:00pm
IMHO the best way to get rid of them in a small tank is to look for them morning and evening on the zoa skirts and remove them. If you find them on the skirts then touch each polyp to get them to close up and check the stalks too. They normally take on the color of the skirts so can be hard to spot. Once you think you have gotten all of them then check again 10-14 days later (if memory serves me) to get the newly hatched ones too. Eventually you will win. If you do find them on a colony that can be removed from the tank then definitely dip it then inspect it under a magnifying glass and bright light. 

ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2015 at 10:18pm
What you're seeing are probably just seed shrimp (Ostracoda). They're typically harmless...most people rarely see them since most fish love them. If you don't have a ton of wrasses or other similar fish, they can live in massive numbers. My fishless tanks turned almost solid white at night when they came out.

As for the zoa issue, a picture would help a ton. Otherwise, most of the suggestions are valid.
www.reefdup.com
Diving since 2009, reefkeeping since 2007, & fishkeeping since 1987
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
relethg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote relethg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2015 at 6:51pm
Sorry it has taken me so long to get pictures up. Here are the two colonies.

210 G Filled 18 Mar 15
120 G Filled 11 Jun 16
relethg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote relethg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2015 at 8:25pm
Any more ideas why these two frags are not opening? The picture show what they look like during the hours the lights are running.
210 G Filled 18 Mar 15
120 G Filled 11 Jun 16
Bryce View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bryce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2015 at 9:18pm
They look fine, probably just adjusting, leave them alone and stop messing with them unless you have some reason to believe you have some pest but if you have dipped already would be surprising. I have hundreds upon hundreds of zoas and at any given time some are closed for days at a time, if its 2 or 3 weeks and they have not opened then I would be worried, if they begin to melt, I would be worried, if you run carbon and its not rinsed properly or its tumbling/flow is too fast and its grinding then that can irritate them as well same if GFO is tumbling too fast. I have the below patch and sometimes sections close up for days or week or so, but they always eventually open back up.

Edited by Bryce - March 20 2015 at 9:33pm
65g Reef
relethg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote relethg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2015 at 7:43am
These two colonies had been open for over a month in my tank. The closed and have been closed for almost three weeks now. I did stop GFO for a week no change. I run my GFO and GAC into a bucket using RO water before I put it in service. I don't tumble the GAC and just a surface tumble on the GFO. 

They are not melting, as a matter of fact they are still making more heads. That is what I is weird, they don't open but they are propagating.

It is not that I am so worried but these are two of the zoas the wife and I like the most and they don't open. Plus if this was an early stage of something it would be nice to catch early. 
210 G Filled 18 Mar 15
120 G Filled 11 Jun 16
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic