Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

ph, alk, nitrate problem

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
CHAOS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CHAOS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2015 at 3:37pm
Water is ro, not di. Justin pointed out that the second hand sand may be part of the problem.
Pete Moss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pete Moss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2015 at 7:22am
Mix up some new water, test the phosphates for a base line, then set up two containers. In one container put the newly mixed salt water in with some sand. In the other out new water and a rock. Let them sit for a couple of hours, preferably with a power head, and test phosphates again to see if it is your rock or your sand leeching phosphates.
125g 90g 2x33g 34g
What stores do I recommend?
Up North: Bill ( Saltwater Paradise 801-317-8115 )
Down South: Jerry ( Reef On 801-563-0600 )

Member of GCFB
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2015 at 4:32pm
Good advice from John. I agree with all of it. 

RO water is plenty good for reef aquariums.

What we have come to call the "Home Depot Special" refugium light is absolutely awesome. It's a clip-on aluminum cone reflector with a 26W(150 W equivalent incandescent) Daylight color (not Soft White) twist compact fluorescent bulb. Be sure to secure/hang the clip light so it cannot slip and fall into the water. Embarrassed
Chemipure Blue utilizes DI Resin to remove PO4. I have a concern with using it long term. When the ion exchange resin gets saturated will it release PO4 in favor of other ionic molecules? My understanding is that ion exchange resin has this drawback, including the resin used in RO/DI water purification units. I also don't like combination products. Each tank is different. AC(Activated Carbon) becomes saturated within 2 weeks so that means tossing out the entire product, even if the other part is not saturated. 

To fit the needs of each particular tank, I adjust the amount of AA(Activated Alumina) used in one bag and the AC in another bag so they get saturated at about the same time. I generally use 3-4 times as much AC as AA.

AA does not release PO4 or silica(another benefit of AA) back into the water and in normal situations it even turns from bright white to tan to dark tan, as evidence that it's getting saturated. 

Aloha,
Mark  Hug

Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
CHAOS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CHAOS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2015 at 10:26pm
With the help of a couple of awesome guys we did a %50 water change today

Nitrates are down to 20
Phosphates are down to .25

and most of all, my stress level is down.

A couple of days ago I put my stock hood (2x 18" t8 white) over my sump on 24hrs
today I got a grow bulb from Lowes and put it in the $10 clip on light.
I will run that and see if we can get some serious Macro growth.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic