Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

AIO vs. Sump

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Phishin801 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Phishin801 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: AIO vs. Sump
    Posted: February 13 2015 at 4:07pm
I was about ready to purchase a 40 gallon IM Nuvo Fusion until I saw the Cadlights tanks at Reef On.  I've been in the hobby for about 4 years now, but I've only had AIO tanks (nano cubes and RSM-250).  The tank that I'll be purchasing is for my office so flooding and noise are definitely concerns.  Curious if people think I'd be better off getting an AIO for the office or if I should bite the bullet and get a Cadlights with a sump.  Also, is there anything I should know about the differences between running a tank with a sump instead of an AIO?  Advice would be much appreciated.
Pete Moss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pete Moss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2015 at 4:14pm
Honestly, an all in one system is basically a mini sump. It's separated chambers of water that filter water from the tank then return it.

Having a designated sump often gives you a LOT more room as it is under the tank, not built into it. Having more room means you can have better filtration. A better skimmer, more media, a larger refuge.

It's like the difference between a small HOB filter and a large one.

There are many ways to run a reef tank, I personally like having extra filtration and more room for error. I run sumps on my freshwater tanks.
125g 90g 2x33g 34g
What stores do I recommend?
Up North: Bill ( Saltwater Paradise 801-317-8115 )
Down South: Jerry ( Reef On 801-563-0600 )

Member of GCFB

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Phishin801 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2015 at 4:18pm
Is there a higher chance of leaking with a sump vs. an AIO?  Also, if anyone has any thoughts about the Cadlights tanks, I'd love to hear them.
Pete Moss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pete Moss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2015 at 4:21pm
There is a higher chance of leaking with a sump yes. It has more points of failure.

With well built tanks like the Cadlights tanks, I wouldn't be worried about it.

Flooding is a risk you always face if you put water in a glass box. Something we all have to take into consideration. In the case of a Cadlights tank, if you have a flood you can likely blame it on them haha
125g 90g 2x33g 34g

Member of GCFB
ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2015 at 4:23pm
If you're not the boss, go with an AIO with manual top-off. No flooding (unless there's catastrophic tank failure). It'll also look like less of a fire hazard during inspections.
www.reefdup.com
Diving since 2009, reefkeeping since 2007, & fishkeeping since 1987
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Phishin801 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2015 at 4:24pm
I've never had any flooding problems with any of the AIO's I've owned.  I just have no idea what I'm doing when it comes to a sump and I sincerely doubt my employer would appreciate it if I had 60+ gallons of water on my office floor!
Marcoss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marcoss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2015 at 4:28pm
I have a Cadlights; love the tank and how its is finally running. The company itself has some issues, but if you buy from a middle man, they might be able to offer the support when you need it. Plus, I got most of the support I needed from this forum.

It was my first tank and it has a sump. I was worried about it leaking too but you can do a lot to make it doesn't. The big thing for me was understanding where siphons can happen.

Marcos

RedSea Max S400 - 90G Rimless Frag Tanks x2 - 185 Lookdown Bin
Pete Moss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pete Moss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2015 at 4:46pm
Oh it is for your office? Yeah go AIO

My employer won't even let me have a 2.5g AIO ( thanks again for the awesome tank Nikki )

I wouldn't ever do a sump at work.
125g 90g 2x33g 34g

Member of GCFB
ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2015 at 4:53pm
Whaaaa? Not even that lil thing? That's sad. Sorry.

Nope, I'd never do a sump at work either unless I owned the place. I make enough of a mess just cleaning the thing.
www.reefdup.com
Diving since 2009, reefkeeping since 2007, & fishkeeping since 1987
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Phishin801 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2015 at 5:23pm
Thanks for the advice.  I already have a 12 gallon in my office but want something larger.  Was going to get the JBJ 45 NanoCube, but have read that the Nuvo Fusion is a better tank, particularly because it doesn't have rounded edges.
Molli View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Molli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2015 at 6:13pm
If you get a tank that size even without a sump for work tell me about the floor you work on. If you are not on the lowest level in the building i would suggest that you ck on flood insuranace someway somehow because if that tank causes any damage to another tenant your employer will be liable for all losses to that tenant including potential lost profits if they have to close off a portion of their space during repairs and you know where your employer will come looking for reimbursement.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Phishin801 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2015 at 6:23pm
I'm not on the first floor but the floors in our building are made of very thick concrete.
Pete Moss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pete Moss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2015 at 10:36pm
Originally posted by Phishin801 Phishin801 wrote:

Thanks for the advice.  I already have a 12 gallon in my office but want something larger.  Was going to get the JBJ 45 NanoCube, but have read that the Nuvo Fusion is a better tank, particularly because it doesn't have rounded edges.

I hate cleaning those cursed round edges. Never again. Ever.
125g 90g 2x33g 34g

Member of GCFB
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic