Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

how to catch a damsel- life saver!!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
juliagulia View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote juliagulia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: how to catch a damsel- life saver!!
    Posted: February 12 2015 at 1:37pm
So. I recently overcame one of THE MOST frustrating situations that I have ever dealt with. DAMSELS! two of them to be specific... damsels that started out cute and yellow and non aggressive and turned into giant black jerks who would attack any new fish, one to the point of death by stress. After thinking about it for weeks and trying for days, I finally found the perfect damsel trap. I read forum after forum with crazy suggestions like draining the tank to catch them, or catching them with a fishing hook ( I did like this idea, but my bigger beefier fish would probably beat them to it )... so after destroying my rock setup trying to net them, making a soda bottle trap that they had no interest in, to borrowing an actual fish trap with absolutely no luck.... I found one suggestion. a mirror! these little suckers are soo aggressive that if you put a mirror in the tank... they will go at it like noones business. now, while this wasn't enough of a distraction to net em, it led to a whole new idea. We put a mirror at the back of the DIY soda bottle trap. after trial and error.. still not trapping them with the funnel inside, too much turbulence trying to pull it out.. etc, we cut some holes in the bottom (not big enough for the fish to escape out of, just big enough to get rid of some of the turbulence ) and tied some fishing line to the top. We also had a larger mirror in the tank next to the trap that they would pester at.. I think thats what got them interested in the mirror to begin with. anyways, it took a couple of tries, but fish swims in,,, a quick pull up to the top of the tank and boom! trapped fish. I feel so accomplished and want to share with the world so noone else goes through what i have to catch the darn things.

happy fishing! Clap
one fish two fish, red fish blue fish
Will Spencer View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Will Spencer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2015 at 2:07pm
I think you may have come up with the latest and greatest fish trap for damsels.  Good thinking!!!
Pete Moss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pete Moss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2015 at 2:09pm
Wow, good idea! I'm impressed!
125g 90g 2x33g 34g
What stores do I recommend?
Up North: Bill ( Saltwater Paradise 801-317-8115 )
Down South: Jerry ( Reef On 801-563-0600 )

Member of GCFB
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2015 at 5:16pm
Awesome. 
The club trap you borrowed usually takes several days for fish to get accustomed to going in for the food. Sounds like this worked almost immediately. I'm going to add this trick to the Reefkeeping Tips:

Hug
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2015 at 5:21pm
Another idea... for future reference... wet to dry vacuum.  Get it close to them, then flip it on.

Adam
ps- lemon damsels are gorgeous when they are little aren't they?  

Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
DMower View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2015 at 5:36pm
All great ideas!  Love it.

I have several damsels that are model citizens.  My other fish don't put up with their "crap".

Three Talbot's Damsels
One blue damsel (Male with orange tail and belly)  great colors!
One blue velvet damsel.

My tangs and angels put them in their place. 

150 gal reef with 50 gal sump. Reef Octopus DCS-200 Skimmer. AI Sol Blues.
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2015 at 5:36pm
Hey Adam do you remember the story of how Susan and Fred forgot to immediately turn off the vacuum and pull the hose out of the tank. They siphoned something like 5+ gallons of salt water on their hardwood floor. The target fish just kept swimming around the tank. LOL
Hug
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Will Spencer View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Will Spencer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2015 at 5:42pm
Originally posted by Mark Peterson Mark Peterson wrote:

Hey Adam do you remember the story of how Susan and Fred forgot to immediately turn off the vacuum and pull the hose out of the tank. They siphoned something like 5+ gallons of salt water on their hardwood floor. The target fish just kept swimming around the tank. LOL
Hug

I think they got the vacuum turned off, but forgot that the hose would still siphoning water until the siphon was broken.  When the tank filled up the water just started coming out of the seems where the tank and the motor come together.  The little ball on the intake is supposed to stop water from getting into the motor but it doesn't stop it from going elsewhere.  Sad but funny.  I'm sure even Susan can laugh now that it's years in the past. LOL

I think I like the OP's way of doing it better, though Susan was after a yellow clown goby so it may not have worked as well.

Edited by Will Spencer - February 12 2015 at 5:44pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic