Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Bad Coral?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Blytle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blytle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bad Coral?
    Posted: February 02 2015 at 4:56pm
I just noticed this growing in my tank and I have no idea what it is. Is it harmful?
1stupidpunk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1stupidpunk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2015 at 5:14pm
In my experience the best way to deal with a bad coral is to gently smack it on the nose with a rolled newspaper....

But really it looks like some sort of zoa/paly coral. They are perfectly reef safe friendly corals that (if taken care of)will propagate smaller babies.
DMower View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2015 at 5:25pm
They may contain a poison that can kill you. Research palytoxin to be sure you know what this is all about.
150 gal reef with 50 gal sump. Reef Octopus DCS-200 Skimmer. AI Sol Blues.
AcroNem View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AcroNem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2015 at 5:29pm
The only time I've encountered palytoxin was in Palythoa grandis. Those are a Paly/protopalythoa (not exact on that one) I really wouldn't be worried about it harming you or anything in your tank. Just my .02 though :)

Edited by AcroNem - February 02 2015 at 5:35pm
150G mixed reef, growing coral farm.
Thirteenth year keeping reefs, always here to talk fish.
801-850-7577.
Blytle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blytle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2015 at 5:57pm
Thank you for the help. I will look that up and leave it alone.
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2015 at 5:32am
In my opinion there is no such thing as a bad coral. Rather, there are some animals, Majano Anemone for instance, that we avoid because they have a tendency to take over an entire rock structure and push out our favorite coral. Coral and Anemone have nematocysts that sting in defense and to capture food. The sting and juices of some coral and reef invertebrates may, in rare instances, cause humans temporary discomfort and illness, but that is all. 
As someone who has been farming coral and getting stung by nematocysts for 20 years, I would enjoy those coral polyps. Blue Zoanthids and Palythoa are not that common. You have a cool thing there.

Aloha,
Mark  Hug

P.S.

I found this good pic of the common Majano Anemone. They can actually look quite colorful, green with pink tips. Years ago, before we knew how troublesome these were, I sold a rock of "Tulip Anemones" to a friend. To this day he still loves to tease me about it. 

Pic courtesy of ultimatereef.net
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Pete Moss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pete Moss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2015 at 7:45am
I have found some species of the Palythoa genus to be prolific to a fault. They can multiply quickly and cover rocks. While they definitely aren't harmful, if you don't like the look of them now is the time to remove them.

I've heard of these fabled tulip anemones. Your reputation as a salesman proceeds you.
125g 90g 2x33g 34g
What stores do I recommend?
Up North: Bill ( Saltwater Paradise 801-317-8115 )
Down South: Jerry ( Reef On 801-563-0600 )

Member of GCFB
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2015 at 10:25am
LOL Embarrassed
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Matthew View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matthew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2015 at 5:57pm
I was super excited when I found my first tulip anemone in my tank.  It took me over a month before I realized it wasn't a good thing.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic