Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tank Cycle Numbers

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2015 at 8:49am

The rest of my comments/opinions:

Nassarius Snails don't eat algae, so they don't count as Snails in my book.

Any kind of Hermit is good. The rumors about Hermits causing problems are greatly exaggerated. The issues are mostly due to them being too hungry. Too many hermits and too many snails for too little algae leads to snails starving to death and then the starving Hermits turn to eating the dieing Snails. 

Bugs eat algae. The loss of bugs(mostly Amphipods and Copepods) due to the addition of the Hawkfish and the Goby will make algae control more difficult. The Mandarin is another bug eater. It's practically impossible to culture enough bugs in another tank to feed these three fish in their tank. In my experience, the key would be to wait until the 200 gal tank is mature and has a burgeoning bug population before introducing those fish into it one at a time, Mandarin, Hawkfish and Goby, in that order. Smile 

Regarding the Refugium, my advice is to open it up as large as possible for the maximum amount of Chaetomorpha. No rock, but a DSB and the water flowing over and through the Chaeto. The rumor that Chaeto needs to tumble is just that. Place any Caulerpa upstream of the Chaeto so the Chaeto doesn't starve it out.

Aloha,
Mark  Hug

Edited by Mark Peterson - January 12 2015 at 8:59am
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
relethg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote relethg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2015 at 9:01am
Originally posted by Mark Peterson Mark Peterson wrote:

Glenn said, "It is weird that the PH drops (1500-2200) then climbs back up over the night." I must confess, I do not understand what was meant by that statement. Please explain.

My PH drops during the hours of 3PM to 10PM and then climbs back to about 8-8.1, From what I have read is the opposite of most tanks.
210 G Filled 18 Mar 15
120 G Filled 11 Jun 16
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2015 at 9:06am
What is the lighting schedule of the display and the Refugium?
What is the CO2 level in the house from 2pm-8pm?
Are windows shut during those hours?
Is someone cooking in the kitchen from 2-8?
relethg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote relethg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2015 at 9:13am

What is the lighting schedule of the display and the Refugium?
What is the CO2 level in the house from 2pm-8pm?
Are windows shut during those hours?
Is someone cooking in the kitchen from 2-8?

DT lights are on from 0800 to 2000 and do a tapper up and tapper down.

Sump light is on from 2000 to 0800

windows are cracked all the time

doesn't match up with kitchen use.

I installed a CO2 scrubber and it did not change PH at all. Have tried it with and without during and before those times.

210 G Filled 18 Mar 15
120 G Filled 11 Jun 16
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2015 at 10:27am
Now I'm the guy that never tests pH anymore, because I found out that pH is no problem so long as Alk and gas exchange are good. Of course this pH reading is kind of crazy and it may be useful to get to the bottom of it. I would first test the pH manually with a test kit to verify the controllers numbers.

Do you have a grounding probe in the water? Is it near the pH probe? 
Remove a grounding probe, if present, and check for stray voltage (reading > 40 VAC). Stray voltage messes with the pH probe.
If there is stray voltage, unplug items one at a time until the culprit is found.

As a side note, the Refugium light is best set up so that it overlaps the display lights. Set it for 1800 to 1000. This allows Algae in the display to start up it's O2 production before the Refugium quits and in the evening the Refugium algae can be at full O2 production before the display lights go off. Does this make sense?

Aloha,
Mark  Hug

Edited by Mark Peterson - January 12 2015 at 10:22pm
Marcoss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marcoss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2015 at 6:52pm
Hi Glenn,

Of topic, but what does your tank look like? I really love this tank and want to get one once I figure out my new tank.

Also, thanks for sharing a link to that spreadsheet. I am going to start using it to monitor my progress.

Thanks!

Marcos

RedSea Max S400 - 90G Rimless Frag Tanks x2 - 185 Lookdown Bin
relethg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote relethg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2015 at 7:09pm
Originally posted by Marcoss Marcoss wrote:

Hi Glenn,
Of topic, but what does your tank look like? I really love this tank and want to get one once I figure out my new tank.
Also, thanks for sharing a link to that spreadsheet. I am going to start using it to monitor my progress.

Thanks!
Marcos

Sorry the pictures are not so good.

210 G Filled 18 Mar 15
120 G Filled 11 Jun 16
relethg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote relethg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2015 at 7:12pm

I got them to eat detritus, so don't they count as a **** eating snail?

210 G Filled 18 Mar 15
120 G Filled 11 Jun 16
Molli View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Molli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2015 at 7:47pm
Originally posted by relethg relethg wrote:

I got them to eat detritus, so don't they count as a **** eating snail?

Nassarius snails are a very important part of the clean up crew in my opinion.  Their job is to eat all the crud in the tank. 

Marcoss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marcoss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2015 at 7:54pm

Hi Glenn,

Thanks!
Marcos

Sorry the pictures are not so good.

Oh dang! Thats nice and clean! I love how super organized it is. I see exactly what you did with the sump by removing a baffle. I may have to implement that one day.

I also noticed you had a sock on the water line coming in. I didn't think of doing that and am hopeful it cuts down on the noise.

I'm excited to see how your tank progresses. Thanks again for sharing!

relethg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote relethg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2015 at 8:07pm

[QUOTE=Marcoss]Hi Glenn,

Thanks!
Marcos

Oh dang! Thats nice and clean! I love how super organized it is. I see exactly what you did with the sump by removing a baffle. I may have to implement that one day.
I also noticed you had a sock on the water line coming in. I didn't think of doing that and am hopeful it cuts down on the noise.

I was running the sock because I was working on the rocks and stirring the tank. Normally wont. To quite the flow close the ball valve a touch. not enough to effect the amount of flow.
210 G Filled 18 Mar 15
120 G Filled 11 Jun 16
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2015 at 7:26am
I don't count Nassarius when talking about Snails and algae control. There are many different worms and a plethora of bugs to handle detritus. These worms and bugs produce spawn which feed the coral (and bug eating fish). Nassarius would only compete with that, so I don't keep them.

Aloha,
Mark  Hug
relethg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote relethg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2015 at 7:43am

I don't count Nassarius when talking about Snails and algae control. There are many different worms and a plethora of bugs to handle detritus. These worms and bugs produce spawn which feed the coral (and bug eating fish). Nassarius would only compete with that, so I don't keep them.

Aloha,
Mark  Hug

I don't have any worms at this time (that I know of). What bugs and/or worms to you recommend I have in my DT for detritus? That is why I added the Nassarius.

210 G Filled 18 Mar 15
120 G Filled 11 Jun 16
Marcoss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marcoss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2015 at 6:35pm

[QUOTE=Marcoss]Hi Glenn,

Thanks!
Marcos

I was running the sock because I was working on the rocks and stirring the tank. Normally wont. To quite the flow close the ball valve a touch. not enough to effect the amount of flow.

Glenn,

You've done it again. The sound went way down. Thanks so much!

Marcos

relethg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote relethg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2015 at 2:33pm
To Recap:

12 Dec 2015 filled with water, 50lbs LR, and 45lbs sand. Can look above for the history of water testing. Now have 5 Blue/Green Chormis, 1 Banded Sleeper Goby, 1 Lawnmower Blenny, 1 Falco Hawk, and 2 clowns. About 50 mixed snails, 10 mixed hermits, 1 Coral Banded shrimp, and 1 Red Shrimp. For corals I have; 1 Xenia, 1 star, 1 Acro, 2 Poly’s and 2 Zoa’s.

Wow I have a big load in the 45-gallon tank. I figure total water at 50 gallon. The only number that worries me and not that much is the .04-.08 Phosphate I have been getting. I will be adding a small GFO/carbon reactor from BRS. The Nitrate is higher than I want but expect it for the load and age (7th week) of the tank. I need to get my Micro algae in better shape and add Cheato.

Yes, I have algae growing in my DT.

Not very happy with the Cadlights PLS-100 skimmer. It will work OK then flood for no reason. My skimmer chamber does not change water height.

210 G Filled 18 Mar 15
120 G Filled 11 Jun 16
Bryce View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bryce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2015 at 3:18pm
Do not worry at all about that phosphate level of .04 to .08, I do recommend gfo but those levels are fine. A skimmer is sensitive to even a hand going in the tank or oily fish food, that being said im not a fan of cadlights
65g Reef
Molli View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Molli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2015 at 5:49pm
Yes, you have quite the bioload.  But if you read up on chromis they will probably pick each other off until you have only 1-2 left.  That will lower your bioload!
relethg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote relethg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2015 at 7:05pm
Originally posted by Molli Molli wrote:

Yes, you have quite the bioload.  But if you read up on chromis they will probably pick each other off until you have only 1-2 left.  That will lower your bioload!
They have been doing fine for three weeks now, had 7 but one stopped eating and passed. I put them all in at same time. I do see some aggressive behavior when I feed them. 
210 G Filled 18 Mar 15
120 G Filled 11 Jun 16
relethg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote relethg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2015 at 7:27pm
Originally posted by Bryce Bryce wrote:

Do not worry at all about that phosphate level of .04 to .08, I do recommend gfo but those levels are fine. A skimmer is sensitive to even a hand going in the tank or oily fish food, that being said im not a fan of cadlights

Bryce why don't you like GFO? I thought it was an exceptable way to control phosphate. Being new I need more information. But I agree with my current levels not to much of an issue. I would like a reactor so I can use it if they rise to high. I would prefer to be able to control everything naturally but that is not an option on this tank with the load I want in it and the size of the sump. Once the 210 is up and running this will be a frag tank.

Thanks Glenn
210 G Filled 18 Mar 15
120 G Filled 11 Jun 16
Marcoss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marcoss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2015 at 6:44pm

Not very happy with the Cadlights PLS-100 skimmer. It will work OK then flood for no reason. My skimmer chamber does not change water height.

I have the same issue. I cannot figure out mine for the life of me. When I do a water change, the protein skimmer seams to reset itself and overflow or not fill up all the way. I am going to for sure upgrade when I can. I think its just a junk product...

Marcos

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
  Share Topic