Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

octospawn

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
hedgefish View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hedgefish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: octospawn
    Posted: November 28 2014 at 4:51pm
My octospawn is slowly wasting away,changed him from mid level to bottom.,running 250 metal hilide,with actics,kh fine ,calcum great,dont have mg. Test do you think mg. Could be low.thanks
hedgefish
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2014 at 9:48pm
It's possible.  Photos?

Adam
Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
hedgefish View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hedgefish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2014 at 10:10pm
Dont how get pictures here ,do you have email address to send to,thanks

hedgefish
redleader View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redleader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2014 at 11:14pm
Upload photos to photo bucket and them copy link in.
It works very nicely.

Everything in life is possible. You just have to dream big, and act bigger.

150 G Reef
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2014 at 6:58am
How to upload pics to utahreefs.com forum:
1. Click on reply icon: Post ReplyReply
2. Click on tree icon: 
3. Upload image (from a computer is best. occasional trouble with smaller devices. transfer images from device to computer with USB cable or by sending an email with pics attached)

I have uploaded 100's of pics to utahreefs.com (but I also re-size them each to less than 100kb)

Okay, about the dieing coral, these are the questions I would ask:
What are the Alk and Ca levels (the actual numbers)?
Are any other Euphyllia (frogspawn, hammer, torch) also in the tank? How are they doing?
Any other LPS having trouble? Other coral?
If Coralline Algae is growing, the problem is probably not low Mg, but it is wise to test Mg now and every 3 months or so.
Is there another coral situated within 6 inches upstream of the Octocoral? What coral is it?
Is AC being used and replaced every 2-4 weeks?

Aloha  Hug
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
hedgefish View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hedgefish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2014 at 8:31am
Hk is fine calcum is good,could it be the 250 metal helide,no other corals close to it,maybe run t5 blue actnic instead,please help,its shinking more every day,thanks
hedgefish
hedgefish View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hedgefish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2014 at 8:46am
Xeina is fine clam fine,pocillapora good mushrooms good,water current could that be somthing,what do you feed it,
hedgefish
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2014 at 2:01pm
Originally posted by hedgefish hedgefish wrote:

Hk is fine calcum is good,could it be the 250 metal helide,no other corals close to it,maybe run t5 blue actnic instead,please help,its shinking more every day,thanks
I'm sorry, but I'm going to ask again for the Alk and Ca numbers. We need the numbers because we can't work with "fine" and "good".

How about taking some pics with your phone and sending them to my phone 808-345-1049 so I can answer you immediately.

If you are thinking it may be the MH lights, you could be right, but to know for sure, we need more info and the pics. In the meantime, after you take the pics, turn off the MH's and tell us how long have you had this coral?

Aloha  Hug
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2014 at 3:57pm
Okay, I just got off the phone with hedgefish/Bill. He was on his way to Saltwater Paradise to pick up the Red Sea Mg test kit refill. We figured out a few things.
For those following this to see what they might add to the discussion or might learn, the info relayed during our phone conversation is below the tank pic he sent.

- tank is a 40 gal cube shape with a lid
- lighting is a 250 Watt 6500 Kelvin MH with t5 actinic supplementation sitting ~6" above the water
- flow is a powerhead, a HOB filter and the return pump
- Heater is a 300 Watt set at 78 degrees
- a Chiller was added because tank got too hot when a powerhead overheated, causing many animals to die
- in the HOB filter is some API brand filtration media which is a combination of Activated Carbon and perhaps some sort of Ion Resin?
- used ~1 cup of epsom salt a while back to add Mg, but the old test kit showed no difference.
- agrees the tank probably needs more Snails and Hermits
- occasionally uses a turkey baster to clean algae off the rocks

That's what I learned about this tank. 
Bill was on the road so I asked him to call when he returned home after doing 4 things, 1) unplug the heater, 2) move the Octocoral into the shade, 3) find out what that API media is and 4) test the Mg. I'm not sure what the other tubes are. One looks like a heater but Bill said the heater is in the sump with the skimmer. Need more info on that.

Aloha  Hug
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2014 at 9:09am
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic