Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

haze or hard water

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
jmt30 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jmt30 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: haze or hard water
    Posted: July 18 2005 at 4:18pm
This might be a silly question my tanks been up for about 9 months now its a 55 gallon glass i use a mag float to clean it about once a day but theres a film on the inside that wont go away almost like hard water, i even tried one of those blue algae pads still wont go away does anyone know of something that will remove this or help with this?? Thanks
Summertop View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Summertop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2005 at 4:36pm
Inside? Under Water?  I have not seen this.  Have you tried a razor blade? 
===========

Shawn Winterbottom
ewaldsreef View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ewaldsreef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2005 at 5:47pm
Was this on the glass before you filled the tank? Also some types of algea require something aggressive like a razor blade to be removed.
Contact me for professional aquarium maintenance and localy grown coral frags. [URL=http://www.aquatitranquility.com][/URL]

dnellans View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dnellans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2005 at 11:02pm
if you're using ro/di water this isn't 'hard water'...  try a metal/razor to see if that takes care of it.  when i overdose B-ionic i can make a white "film" on the tank, perhaps you've done that?

-dwn
jmt30 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jmt30 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2005 at 4:38pm
I think what i also forgot to mention this was a freshwater before the saltwater, i tried the razor blade but it didnt help, has anyone tried some 600 grit sandpaper and lightly sand it, any other ideas thanks
j's55 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote j's55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2005 at 10:13pm
did your water level get low and then refilled? if so I would bet hard water.
Josh Zorn
45G reef
lots of tropical plants
Cell it 910 3924
jmt30 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jmt30 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2005 at 12:05am
it did recently is there anything that can remove that??
j's55 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote j's55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2005 at 8:27am
there is a hard water cleaner Kaboom that I use. but I use it on the out
side so I dont know what to use on the inside. just keep trying the razor
Josh Zorn
45G reef
lots of tropical plants
Cell it 910 3924
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2005 at 9:04am
If a razor blade did nothing and since you mention 600 grit sand paper, I strongly suspect one of two things:

1) Someone already tried 600 grit sandpaper and totally ruined the inside glass with fine scratches, or

2) It's really cloudy water in which case I would check it by dipping some tankwater out with a clear drinking glass and holding it up to the sunlight to see the cloudy water. This is a problem that is easily solved.

This has me real curious. I wouldn't mind coming over to take a quick look at it. Do you live near Bountiful or Salt Lake? Please call me at the number below.

Oh, btw, hard water deposits are mostly calcium and are easily removed by wiping with a rag dipped in vinegar. (drop the water level first!)

Edited by Mark Peterson
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2005 at 2:59pm
jmt30 lives right around the corner from me so I ran over and looked at his tank.

Weird. It's like someone poured some kind of weak etching acid on the glass or that the glass was not glazed properly before the tank was manufactured.
We checked the back glass and it looks better so he may have to turn the tank around. That won't be too hard to do. I have a couple tubs he can use to empty the water into and a little LR then just pick it up with LS and a little water in it and swing it around. Jason, I'll help you with it.
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Summertop View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Summertop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2005 at 11:14am
How much money can a bare 55 gallon tank cost to replace it?  You wouldn't need hood, lights, etc.
===========

Shawn Winterbottom
jfinch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2005 at 11:29am
$55.  I helped my neighbor do just that last weekend.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic