Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Sunshine vs. Electric Lights

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sunshine vs. Electric Lights
    Posted: October 06 2014 at 8:40pm
Coral love sunshine. This should not come as a surprise to anyone, but I do think it ought to be discussed. I would like to share for open debate, my opinion based on observations of the coral in my window.

My observation is this, that under natural sunshine, coral grows faster and polyps grow larger than coral which receives only artificial lighting. 

The new rage in LED lighting has brought this point home to me lately. I believe that LED lighting has yet to be developed into what it can be. 

About 95% of the coral in my system has come from artificially lighted aquariums. As the coral grows and polyps reproduce, the polyps are larger than when first introduced. This is my opinion based on observations of the coral in my now flourishing coral farm in the south window as well as coral I have grown in partial sun in various tanks at various times over the last 15 years or so.

I encourage those with opposing views to post here for discussion.

Aloha,
Mark  Hug
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Matt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2014 at 8:52pm
Anythoughts that maybe your sunlight method maybe be because lack of light? I dont imagine. You get great direct lighting to to the angle though the window combined with the lattitude that we are. Granted i havent searched for the lattitude of most reefs in the world. Just a quick thought i had.
Matt Savage

"Tattoos and Street Bikes"
builderofdreams View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote builderofdreams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2014 at 9:10pm
My corals and fish LOVE the 35 mins of direct sunlight. If we didnt live such a cold state i would love to have tank outside with nothing but natural sunlight and leds for when the sun went down. IMO I think you would be hard pressed to find anyone that could argue the fact that artificial light is better.

Edited by builderofdreams - October 07 2014 at 10:50am
It's Not a Hobby It's an Obsession
150&210 Gallons of Madness and. Sanity! 801-850-4915

http://www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=65135&title=builderofdreams-feedback-post
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2014 at 9:22pm
I think the generally accepted idea is that sunlight is the way to grow coral.  But most people aren't into growing coral, they are into making coral look pretty.

Adam
Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
hydro phoenix View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hydro phoenix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2014 at 10:42pm
Especially in the hobby, we like pretty things.
recent absurdity..Unicorns have rabies
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2014 at 11:41pm
I'm not sure I understand what Matt is saying.

Pretty coral are growing in MarksReef Coral Farm. To see the proof, come visit in the evening when the electric lights are the only illumination.

I'll try to grow lots of coral so everyone can have it look pretty in their tanks. Smile

Aloha  Hug
catchoftheday View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote catchoftheday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2014 at 10:57am
Originally posted by Mark Peterson Mark Peterson wrote:

I'm not sure I understand what Matt is saying.

Pretty coral are growing in MarksReef Coral Farm. To see the proof, come visit in the evening when the electric lights are the only illumination.

I'll try to grow lots of coral so everyone can have it look pretty in their tanks. Smile

Aloha  Hug

Hey Mark 
How is it going just wondering do you have any SPS ? and if so what kind ?
I currently have a 24 gallon JBJ all in one tank has two powerheads a phosphate reactor with the small bubble skimmer it is also powered by 2 X165 W LEDs and as a mixed reef
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2014 at 12:09pm
Matt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2014 at 1:05pm
What I was saying Mark is that yes corals will grow faster in sunlight due to the wavelengths of light they are getting. I wouldn't be surprised if they were also growing larger trying to create more surface area to absorb more. Since the Latitude we live at provides less direct light than where coral typically grows. Which is for the most part 30 degrees north to south latitude. Which direct sunlight is affected less by seasonal changes in the tropics region and yes I realize 30 degrees north or south is outside the tropics.

Don't you also supplement your tanks light Mark? You don't use exclusively sun light correct?
Matt Savage

"Tattoos and Street Bikes"
1stupidpunk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1stupidpunk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2014 at 9:01am
I think we all agree that natural sunlight is great for corals it just doesnt give the corals that great florescent glow that most of us prefer to show off all of our pretty corals.
bur01014 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bur01014 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2014 at 12:20pm
a keep point many may forget...

corals like sunshine....but our tanks are not deep enough to adequately provide the correct spectrum from the sun for many corals need to thrive. 

water filters sunshine and influences spectrum

thus, the need for electric lights, the corals need the spectrum that they produce

Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2014 at 10:52am
Good points. Thanks.
Here is what I have learned/done so far to try and compensate for those perceived issues:

There is actually more than enough sunlight at this latitude. I visited coral greenhouses at similar latitude, near Detroit MI and Akron, OH in September 2013 (see the pics and my observations here:Underground Coral Greenhouse ). I discovered they cover their entire greenhouses with shade cloth. Ermm Seems kinda silly doesn't it? Build a greenhouse and then cover it with shade cloth because there is too much sun. Wacko I believe these people, like me, had good intentions but they learned as they went along. They also spend a lot of money on summer cooling and winter heating. This is what has spurred my interest in an underground greenhouse with less glazing, limited to south facing and some east facing polycarbonate glazing.

When I returned home I found that during my absence, the sun had descended low enough to begin shining directly on the coral. I had left the blinds drawn up all the way to the top. I lost almost all the coral to fatal sunburn. This was only one of the many mishaps I endured from May - Dec. 2013. I estimate I lost about $5000 worth of coral and it wasn't until just this summer that coral growth finally took off.

What did I do? I learned to keep the window blinds down from September to May. The blinds are adjusted weekly to keep 1/2" slits of sunshine reaching the coral. The slits of sunshine move as the sun crosses the sky. I have not tested it but I'm sure the PAR in these shallow tanks is indeed sufficient, even more than sufficient in the slits of direct sunshine. I'd be happy if someone came over to verify my assumption with their PAR meter. Smile

Growth is wonderful. I'm seeing what I would estimate is 25% faster growth than the same coral under typical reef aquarium artificial illumination only. Many of you have seen, or at least heard, that coral grows faster under 10,000 K MH lights. Well, I believe it grows even faster in the sun.

What about color? Colors are actually quite good, sometimes even getting better than when the coral arrived from another tank. For the most part, fluorescent lights (t-5 and PC) are running as supplemental illumination from around 4-9pm. The tanks that are not directly in front of the window get 14 hours/day of HO or NO fluorescent illumination. Smile

In summary, my observations are: 
- The coral get more light because it's sunlight. 
- Coral grow faster and larger because it's a complete spectrum; no missing gaps. 
- They keep the vibrant colors we have come to enjoy because of the specific spectrum bands received from fluorescent lighting through part of the day and into the evening. I have no doubt that one day LED's will replace the current fluorescent lights.

Visitors welcome at MarksReef Coral Farm.
Aloha  Hug

Edited by Mark Peterson - October 18 2014 at 7:39am
80cent View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 80cent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2014 at 3:47pm
Could it be that people prefer artificial lighting due to how it reduces the factors in an already complex hobby? Mark mentioned his coral getting sunburned due to over exposure, and while it may be worth it in the end to learn how long to keep shades drawn vs shades open, it might also be easier to just a nice Kessil light and let it do its magic. 
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2014 at 7:42pm
That sounds good. I'll grow the coral in the sun and y'all can have it look nice in your tanks. Smile
In fact I've been wondering about doing some sort of cooperative thing where I would take your overgrowth in trade for other coral now or future. Might be a while before the farm gets to the size where it can handle much of that. The system has finally reached a maturity level where stuff is growing so fast it's already getting overcrowded. I'm thinking of having a Coral-Give-Away.

Aloha,  Hug
MarksReef Coral Farm
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2014 at 7:33am
Almost forgot to mention another benefit of sunshine - Ultraviolet Sterilization. When partially shaded from full sun, instead of a lethal sunburn, the coral farm enjoys the cleansing benefits of UV. Big smile

Aloha  Hug
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic