Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Salinity raise from dosing?!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
PDoug View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PDoug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Salinity raise from dosing?!!
    Posted: September 28 2014 at 10:08pm
Okay so I have been at this for a bit off and on. But has anybody ever had their salinity raise rapidly from dosing calc, Alk, and mg like usual? I am wondering if I have a bad mix this go round maybe? I am only dosing Alk and Mag 50ml a day and I have to remove water every two days and put in RO water to bring my Salinity down. This is ranking pretty high up there on my weird crap a'meter and only just occurred when I mixed my last jugs of calcium chloride and Baking soda. any thoughts would be grand
(307)679-7898 Phillip Douglass 75 Gallon Reef Tank
Crazy Tarzan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crazy Tarzan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2014 at 10:15pm
What are you using to check your salinity with? And have you calibrated it?
Was that in there yesterday? Casper--WY windier than ?

Down to a 20, soon to double or nothing
PDoug View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PDoug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2014 at 10:21pm
Haven't bought a refractometer yet just using the good old fashioned hydrometer which I tested against a friends refract' to get a more accurate reading
bur01014 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bur01014 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2014 at 10:58pm
Dosing 50 ml of mag per day? Ya that will definitely raise your salinity....it will creep up slowly with normal 2 part, but mag boosts it quite a bit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crazy Tarzan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2014 at 11:23pm
I've dosed lots of mg before, but I was also trying to push it to 1500-1600 for byropsis. Other than that mg should be much less than Ca and Alk (in my experience). How old is your mg test? What exp date does it have?

bur01014 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bur01014 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2014 at 11:34pm
100 ppm addition to magnesium with any brand of additive (except maybe Seachem which may be higher due to their unusual recipe) will add about 0.4 ppt to the salintiy, so 35 ppt to 35.4 ppt, or sg 1.0264 to 1.0267

After all when you are adding magnesium you are adding a salt...
ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2014 at 2:47am
+1 to bur... My salinity is always creeping up, and it's a pain. Dr. Randy Holmes Farley has a couple articles on it.
www.reefdup.com
Diving since 2009, reefkeeping since 2007, & fishkeeping since 1987
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2014 at 6:31am
Originally posted by PDoug PDoug wrote:

has anybody ever had their salinity raise rapidly from dosing calc, Alk, and mg like usual?
Rapidly? How many points in how many days?

Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
PDoug View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PDoug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2014 at 1:41pm
Please allow me to clarify i add mag once a month I meant calc my bad so as far as the rise its from 33 to 36 or 1.25 to 1.27 every two days. My suspicion is that the prestone I ordered from ebay is old as all get out.
Studboyt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Studboyt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2014 at 2:00pm
"Prestone" the antifreeze???
PDoug View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PDoug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2014 at 2:37pm
Yes I put antifreeze in all my tanks it helps them grow really well No prestone driveway heat
Studboyt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Studboyt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2014 at 3:35pm

Yes I put antifreeze in all my tanks it helps them grow really well No prestone driveway heat

That sounds as crazy as antifreeze.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crazy Tarzan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2014 at 3:38pm
I just started dosing Ca with prestone as well.  I'll check and monitor my salinity and see if I have the same results.

PDoug View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PDoug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2014 at 4:50pm
Originally posted by Studboyt Studboyt wrote:

That sounds as crazy as antifreeze.

Wow this has been done for as long as I can recall in the hobby Prestone driveway heat is pure calcium chloride and is in Mark Peterson's secrets to an affordable reef tank and the formula was researched and created by Randy on reefcentral check it out it will save a ton unless you are already using a calcium reactor which in that case you should be dosing washing soda to boost your ph and alk
PDoug View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PDoug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2014 at 4:51pm
Originally posted by Crazy Tarzan Crazy Tarzan wrote:

I just started dosing Ca with prestone as well.  I'll check and monitor my salinity and see if I have the same results.

let me know what you come up with
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2014 at 5:31pm
I cannot imagine adding enough Ca supplement to raise SG by that much without also seeing a phenomenal increase in Ca. Something seems odd here. 

What does this supposed "Prestone Driveway Heat" look like, out of the package? Can you post a pic or send it to my phone(808-345-1049) so I can see it? I'm thinking this stuff you bought on ebay is mostly ordinary Sodium Chloride (road salt/water softener salt) for what should actually be only white pearls of pure Calcium Chloride.

Is your Alk additive a DIY mixture too?
If you don't mind sharing to see if we can help you figure this out, please tell us what are the previous and current Alk and Ca levels and how much of each are you adding, how often?

Aloha  Hug
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
PDoug View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PDoug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2014 at 5:52pm
Its actual Prestone pearls I am certain of that due to the fact it nearly melted my jug when I mixed. I just worry its picked up to much moisture from storage in a warehouse maybe? I am doing the two part Driveway heat and alk using baking soda (recipe 2) I dose mag with the ep salt mix just as randy states when my jugs are up which has not occurred in roughly a month.I ordered the prestone as winter is still coming but not here.) I dose 50ml a day of Alk and 50 ml a day of mag to keep my levels at 450 calc and 9.3 dkh alk mag is a steady 1390 ( I am debating on testing and possibly skipping next jug
PDoug View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PDoug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2014 at 6:08pm
sent you a pic mark
bur01014 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bur01014 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2014 at 6:56pm
is there a chance your ato reservoir or your rodi water storage containers in general have become laced with some salt down the road?  seems that increase is a little high for how much your dosing....unless your tank is under 30 gallons....

PDoug View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PDoug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2014 at 7:58pm
Maybe just changed the filters will have to take a peak
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic