Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Biopellets New Discovery

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Dionysus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dionysus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Biopellets New Discovery
    Posted: August 18 2014 at 2:36pm
I've been a long time user of bio pellets 2+ years. While setting up my new tank I got the idea to drop a single pellet into my skimmer. Before the pellet I skimmed about half a inch in a week. After the pellet the next day the collection cup was full of foam. Made the skimmer skim like Crazy. Seems a pellet makes my skimmer work better.
AquaMedic 250 Watt XM 20k
2 420s Vhos
29 DT SPS Dominant
20 G Long Frag

My Tank Progress =)
Matthew View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matthew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2014 at 9:40pm
Ah, but are you just breaking down the pellet and then skimming it up?
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2014 at 7:14am
That is interesting. Any follow-up conclusion?

IME, big foam does not necessarily equate to efficient skimming. Chemiclean causes huge amounts of foam, but the cup overflows with foam and clear water.

There are some who agree that skimming can be overdone, take out too much useful organic food.

Aloha  Hug
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Dionysus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dionysus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2014 at 5:01pm
So far the skimmer is still skimming great. The foam settled down and had a inch of dark skimate.Can't really tell if the original pellet is in there still. I did try adding ten pellets to see if it made any Difference with a few more. It caused my skimmer to over flow into the cup. I'm going to empty the skimmer to make sure all the pellets are out. I'm going to retry it again with 3 pellets.
AquaMedic 250 Watt XM 20k
2 420s Vhos
29 DT SPS Dominant
20 G Long Frag

My Tank Progress =)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic