Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

best hair algae eater

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
hydro phoenix View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hydro phoenix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: best hair algae eater
    Posted: August 17 2014 at 9:16am
So phosphates are high and it'll take some time to get them down. In the mean time can anyone recommend a good hair algae eater?
recent absurdity..Unicorns have rabies
Jeremyw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeremyw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2014 at 9:39am
A yellow tang hehehe
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2014 at 9:49am
Actually...
Phosphates can be brought down quite swiftly.
There is not really one size [of algae eater] that fits all.

How long is the algae?
How much area does it cover?
What have you tried so far?
What is the look of the tank currently - pic please?

Aloha  Hug
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Reefer4Ever View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reefer4Ever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2014 at 10:32am
Yellow Tang, water changes and patience assuming its not so high life in the tank is in jeopardy.
90 gal reef w/refugium
24 gal softie tank
11 gal nano anemone tank
5 gal fresh water
BobC63 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobC63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2014 at 10:44am
GFO and a Sea Hare. How are nitrates?
- My Current Tank: 65g Starfire (sitting empty for 2+ years) -

* Marine & Reef tanks since 1977 *
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hydro phoenix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2014 at 10:46am
The tank is not in jeopardy, I've tried a yellow tang and he's just useless. My shark nose goby died because of him. He's going back to the store. And I won't consider another one. I've manually removed most of it and I already have 2 mexican turbo's and 2 belize turbo's. Hermit crabs are a no go because I have a dottyback who likes to eat them and I've done emerald crabs but 1. they're opportunistic eaters. I'll spare you the story and 2. I've had them go after my corals over hair algae. The algae cover spots randomly around the tank so from one end to the other you can see patches of it. Mark you mentioned getting the phosphates down quickly, how so? I did another water change last night but I've been told that water changes don't get rid of phosphates, which I'm not 100% sure about because I'm not familiar with all the mechanics of phosphates.
Reefer4Ever View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reefer4Ever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2014 at 10:48am
Pm'd
90 gal reef w/refugium
24 gal softie tank
11 gal nano anemone tank
5 gal fresh water
Jeremyw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeremyw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2014 at 11:03am
Faith, 

I was just saying that because I know you have that little $%^#. 

If most of its gone and you are using GFO , and have turbo snails. Unless its really bad you can add a seahare but they will starve to death once its all gone. In the past when I have run into issues. I run GFO. Pull lots out by hand (as much as possible) Add Turbos and usually within a few weeks its all gone. 

Now I sometimes might need to pull out the hair by hand again. But if I keep up on it, it will start to go away. 

J
builderofdreams View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote builderofdreams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2014 at 11:22am
Originally posted by hydro phoenix hydro phoenix wrote:

So phosphates are high and it'll take some time to get them down. In the mean time can anyone recommend a good hair algae eater?
If you want to add another fish ya can't go wrong with a FoxFace or scribble fish.Only fish i have seen that will eat bryopsis. Big smile
It's Not a Hobby It's an Obsession
150&210 Gallons of Madness and. Sanity! 801-850-4915

http://www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=65135&title=builderofdreams-feedback-post
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2014 at 6:58am
It would really help a lot if we could see a pic of the tank,
or if you still have the club fish trap I would be happy to come get it and do an evaluation to give you some really good advice for your situation. Text or call me at the number below

Aloha  Hug
808-345-1049

P.S.
I am quite familiar with the mechanics of Phosphates. GFO is too slow. AA is much faster at removing PO4 from the water. I have helped hobbyists conquer algae problems in hundreds of systems. Give it a chance. You won't be disappointed.

Edited by Mark Peterson - August 18 2014 at 7:03am
BobC63 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobC63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2014 at 7:24am
I'd still do the Sea Hare & GFO combo. Here's why:

1) A foxface is an great choice, except this is only a 55g tank. Hard to find a foxface small enough to be comfortable in there; if you can find a small one (2") then go for it.

2) Yes, the Sea Hare would starve after consuming all the HA; when that time comes, put it up on the board or bring it back to the store. Pretty easy to catch a Sea Hare in your tank (as opposed to catching a fish). If your tank aquascaping is set up such that you had difficulty getting the Yellow Tang out, removing the Foxface later will be just as difficult if not more so.

3) Alumina does remove pO4 faster than GFO; however, there is such a thing as removing the pO4 too fast - and that sometimes causes certain corals to stress and bleach

- My Current Tank: 65g Starfire (sitting empty for 2+ years) -

* Marine & Reef tanks since 1977 *
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2014 at 8:15am
I agree with Bob.
Regarding item 3, it's simply a matter of using less AA, like just 1/8 - 1/4 cup and since AA is so much less expensive than GFO, it's a great bargain. I have AA for sale at a great price in MarksReef Coral Farm.

Still, a pic of the tank would really help and I believe there is still the matter of dealing with the naughty Yellow Tang without disturbing the rest of the tank. Either train it or catch it.
Faith, have you tried to catch it the easy way at night? Did you try hanging the fish trap up in the water column? Have you tried training the YT? have you tried not feeding for a few days so the YT will get hungry enough to eat the algae?

Aloha  Hug

Edited by Mark Peterson - August 18 2014 at 9:08am
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hydro phoenix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2014 at 1:20pm
So just to let you all know I've got the yellow tang caught and separated. He will be going back to the store soon. I don't have time this week to have people over to evaluate the tank as this is the first week of the new semester. Now it's just a matter of getting the phosphates down. I'd appreciate having someone here to help me do my first dosing of AA or GFO. But this week again is really bad.
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hydro phoenix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2014 at 1:21pm
I've done seahares but they don't live long in the tank.
badfinger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote badfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2014 at 7:42pm
I am not familiar with AA... Amino acids? Or do you mean AC.... Activated carbon?
badfinger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote badfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2014 at 7:43pm
What about a lawnmower blenny
Hogie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hogie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2014 at 10:02pm
I got a lawn mower Lenny to try to take out a small patch of hair, but it doesn't touch it.
ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2014 at 10:33pm
If you can find them...chitons.
www.reefdup.com
Diving since 2009, reefkeeping since 2007, & fishkeeping since 1987
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
Jeremyw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeremyw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2014 at 7:18am
Oh I forgot about Chitons... they do eat it! 

Faith remind me or text me on Chitons. 

J
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2014 at 10:07am
AA = Activated Alumina aka Seachem Phosguard aka Kent Phosphate Sponge. AA seems to literally suck the phosphate right out of the water. Like Tom Hanks in Joe Vs. The Volcano "suck, suck, suck".
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic