Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Mangrove Nursery

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
backwards32 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backwards32 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mangrove Nursery
    Posted: July 05 2014 at 6:30pm
well I have always wanted to try growing mangroves in my sump. so I ordered some. It was only logical to buy a whole bunch at once, so I did... I also bought a new light for my sump to help grow these guys, but my trees arrived in the mail before my light haha. so this looks kinda ghetto but I think it will work until the light gets here and then I will move them down into the sump. I have 12 of them and will only be needing 3. so I will probably be selling the rest for like $5 if anyone is interested.

From what I have been reading these are great natural filters. eats up nitrates in your tank. plus I think they look cool. If you guys have had tried these let me know
Fish Food Direct
Great Food for half the price
801-721-0671
call or text me anytime
Lewy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2014 at 8:00pm
I had one once in my little tank. It grew out of the top of the tank and the sun fed it's leaves. It was great until someone walked by and snagged it with their shirt and broke it in half. I would really like to have one again. keep me in mind when you start thinning yours out.
40 gal w/ 20 sump
ctreeftank View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ctreeftank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2014 at 8:04pm
I would love one but live in Orem and don't have a way to get up their?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backwards32 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2014 at 9:02pm
thanks guys. I just barely got them so I want to keep them for a couple weeks and make sure they are growing well and are healthy then we can work something out
Fish Food Direct
801-721-0671
call or text me anytime
LaRue View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LaRue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2014 at 9:15pm
I would love to take one when your ready I have always wanted to try them but have never found them local or for a good price.
Holyzion View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Holyzion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2014 at 9:36pm
I am with LaRue on this, very interested in putting one in my sump and trying it out.

74G Mixed Reef
3G Picotope
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2014 at 11:55pm
Richard/WhiteReef has an entire thread about his Mangroves here: http://utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=47680

I used to grow them a lot.
Stem/leaf development is typically stunted until after they have grown a solid root structure. A healthy Mangrove propagule has a solid, green-brown trunk. A soft/spongy trunk indicates a dead/dieing propagule. I would distribute them now rather than wait for them to dry up and die.
FYI, they do poorly in our dry Utah climate. Here are pics of how I kept Mangroves hot and humid in a fully enclosed stand. They grew so crazy that I had to trim them when they touched the light. These grew in ordinary LS.

The lights look white but were actually blue-pink to encourage plant/algae growth.

Protected shallow pond in Hawaii surrounded by Mangroves and full of fish.

An unknown location (not my pic) but I just think it's way cool. Cool

Aloha,
Mark Hug

Edited by Mark Peterson - July 09 2014 at 12:22am

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backwards32 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2014 at 11:03am
Thanks mark. I bought a blue pink light i am just waiting for it to arrive in the mail. at that time i will move them down to the sump. I am going to try to attach the roots onto peices of rock. do you think that will work? or should i just put it onto sand?
Fish Food Direct
801-721-0671
call or text me anytime
hydro phoenix View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hydro phoenix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2014 at 10:04pm
I'm interested in one! I have no problem going up you way to get it either.
recent absurdity..Unicorns have rabies
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2014 at 12:19am
It doesn't have to be deep, but a 3"- 5" Aragonite sand bed works well. CaribSea special grade or Utah Oolitic both work. If the propogule can't stand up alone in the sand, support it with LR. Smaller pieces of Utah Rock work well for this. After insertion into the sand, try not to disturb them. Be patient. It can take 2-6 months for them to start growing new stem and new leaves. If the propogule has leaves, don't be alarmed if they fall off, but try to keep it constantly above 60% humidity and above 75 degrees F. Have fun.

Aloha Hug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backwards32 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2014 at 7:43pm
Thanks mark. well I have had these for about a week and a half now. They seem to be doing great. for all those that are interested and posted on here I will give you guys first dibs. I will send you a PM. I will be posting it in the classified section as well.
Fish Food Direct
801-721-0671
call or text me anytime
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic