Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Sick Montipora??

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Cowan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cowan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sick Montipora??
    Posted: June 16 2014 at 7:34pm

I am pretty new to the hobby, I got this Monti a few weeks ago and was out of town for a week. When I came home I noticed that this Montipora has a lot of white spots on it now, any ideas? It is placed about 3/4 up the tank, the blue and green monty's aren't showing the same signs
RSM 250
ctreeftank View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ctreeftank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2014 at 7:40pm
Have you put it in a revive bath
Cowan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cowan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2014 at 7:53pm
I dipped it in ReVive when I first bought it
Not since then though
RSM 250
ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2014 at 7:57pm
Are you sure it's a Montipora? The septa on the skeleton don't look quite right for a Monti...although I'm looking at the pic on my phone.

That sort of bleaching is usually from either low alkalinity or montipora eating nudibranchs. Bleaching from lighting is usually more uniform, and the tissue rarely receeds like that so quickly.

So...what are your parameters?
www.reefdup.com
Diving since 2009, reefkeeping since 2007, & fishkeeping since 1987
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
ctreeftank View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ctreeftank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2014 at 7:57pm
Try it again
ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2014 at 8:01pm
I wouldn't redip a coral that is stressed without a reason...especially for a newbie. Let's rule out water conditions first...then worry about disease and parasites.

It's bugging me. The skeleton really looks like Australomussa or some sort of chalice. Do you have a photo of it healthy? Who sold it to you as a Monti?
www.reefdup.com
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
Cowan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cowan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2014 at 8:17pm
I purchased it at a LFS here in the Salt Lake Valley, I was told there it was a montipora. Latest water test was 1250 Mg, 450 CA, 11.5 KH, 1.023 sg, 78.3 deg F
RSM 250
Cowan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cowan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2014 at 9:17pm
Looking at some pics online I have to say it does look a lot more like Australomussa than a montipora
RSM 250
ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2014 at 10:40pm
Is it fleshy at all? Sorry, but coral species can matter for diagnosis and treatment.

What lights do you have? If you placed it under the same lighting as your Montiporas and it is Australomussa, then you need to move it to less light. Australomussa like lower light and take a while to acclimate to higher light.

At night about an hour after the lights go out, turn of the flow and squirt some fish food onto the coral. If tentacles appear, it's not a Monti. With that level of bleaching, I would feed it every other day.

My specialty is saving dying coral and fish. Check out the link in my signature to read more.
www.reefdup.com
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2014 at 11:20pm
I'm with Nikki it doesn't look like a monti. Pulling the pic in closer it looks like a lot of the flesh has actually died...
Jackie Stuver

"wait these aren't the happy Hawaiians oompa doompa godly heaven on your face zoas?   I dont want them then. lol!" Ksmart
Cowan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cowan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2014 at 6:28pm
@reefdup   I have some reef roids and fuel, or would you suggest like mysis shrimp?
Lighting is all T5s, 1 white, 3 actintic, coral plus, blue plus
I moved it to the bottom of the tank
RSM 250
ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2014 at 7:12pm
I'm guessing those are ATI bulbs? That is probably your problem. The coral got burnt.

I would feed mysis and see what happens.

If it makes you feel any better, the coral you have is probably more valuable than a pink Monti.
www.reefdup.com
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
Cowan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cowan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2014 at 10:36pm
The white and actintic are stock Red Sea, the coral plus and blue plus are ATI

RSM 250
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic