Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

How to take the best pictures possible?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
-TYR- View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote -TYR- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How to take the best pictures possible?
    Posted: June 10 2014 at 9:30pm
I have a Fujifilm Finepix XP50 the underwater type camera and I have been trying a bunch of different settings but I cannot for the life of me get more than 1 picture out of every 20 to look even semi decent. Is there anyone that knows a bit about these cameras that can give me some hints and tips on the best settings/way to shoot macro day and night pictures respectively on this thing?
Blub Blub
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2014 at 11:42pm
I also have a Fujifilm underwater camera, model WP33. Some of my best tank shots are taken underwater. Clown
- Have you tried shooting with the Forced Flash?
- Have you experimented with the Shooting Mode? That is where you can choose: Auto, Natural Light, Beach, Snow, Nighttime, Fluorescent, etc. There are about 20 different settings. In "real" photography, I believe this is called "white balance" and with these cameras probably involves automatic F-Stop adjustments. (Mike Savage and others can tell us more about that.)
- Have you tried pressing the shutter button half-way down to focus the shot first and then moving closer? Sometimes the camera wants to focus on the glass, especially if it's not clean. Moving closer after setting the focus overcomes the cameras tendency to focus on the glass. Also I believe it becomes more of a problem with fluorescent lighting.
Funny thing about flourescent lighting. It tends to give a hazy appearance. I believe it's because the light is coming from so many directions out of the flourescent tubes. It even makes clear water look hazy because of light refraction.

Here is an underwater macro pic in the Natural Light mode. In this situation I have to deal with distracting bright sunlight coming from behind the subject.

That's all I can think of. Maybe Mike Savage and others more experienced than me will see this and chime in.
Aloha Hug
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
-TYR- View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote -TYR- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2014 at 3:03am
I will give it a shot! thanks for the info!
Blub Blub
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic