Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Treatment for disease prevention

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Treatment for disease prevention
    Posted: May 15 2014 at 4:24am

MarksReef Garlic Oil Treatment has been used for almost 10 years to inhibit the Marine Ich Parasite on fish and to help them stay fed and healthy. <EDIT> This special formulation of Garlic Oil that I previously kept to myself, I am now sharing with the forum. It's Solgar Garlic Oil Perles. It's available online but only found locally at The Vitamin Shoppe in Draper and Orem. <EDIT>

Indications:

• When adding new fish, use this treatment once/day for the first 5 days.

• As a preventive, to ensure health, use the treatment once every 2-4 weeks.

• For Ich infested fish, treat ASAP, even if Ich was only just noticed when the fish were fed. (we know they'll eat more) Feed once/day for 5 days per the instructions below. It's not a cure, but this treatment inhibits the Ich parasite. If all the Ich does not leave the fish after 2 days,  immediately try another Garlic Oil product. Each aquarium, each situation response is slightly different. In my years of experience, the right treatment will make Ich disappear from the fish in just a day or two (just as no one pain reliever works the same for all people).

Treatment Steps

1. Set cube(s) of frozen meaty food in a small cup. Do not add water.

2. Poke the Garlic Oil Gel Capsule with a pin.

1. Squeeze one (or 2) drop for each frozen cube. If using a partial cube, wipe a partial drop on the food.

2. Allow the mixture to thaw without adding water.

3. Stir thawed mixture with a toothpick or plastic stirrer and allow to marinate a few minutes.

4. Feed the mixture in small clumps, allowing time for the fish to eat the food before adding the next small clump. This ensures fish ingest it before the Garlic Oil floats away.

This is not a cure but has been keeping my fish healthy and alive even when they should have perished. The right Garlic Oil seems to help ensure survival even during a time when the tank is being hit with a variety of illness/disease/infection.

Aloha,

Mark  Hug

808-345-1049

Edited by Mark Peterson - March 28 2016 at 2:42pm
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2014 at 4:38am

After depleting my supply, purchased several years ago, I searched and finally found the Garlic Oil Gel Capsules that have worked so well for me for the last 10 years. I share it here for the benefit of all my fishy friends. At the next meeting, this Garlic Oil will be available for a nominal charge. Please feel free to contact me if you aren't able to attend the next meeting.

Contact me if needed. I have a good supply.

Aloha,
Mark
808-345-1049

Edited by Mark Peterson - March 28 2016 at 2:43pm
Jeremyw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeremyw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2014 at 7:30am
SO Mark, 

Ive heard that they cant scientifically prove that garlic helps with Ich. Have you heard the same thing? 

Now with that being said I use it almost every feeding, and I especially use it when i see Ich in my tank and I have seen a difference. 

J
love2skiutah View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote love2skiutah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2014 at 7:41am
I started using garlic oil with the 6 fish that survived my catastrophe. I take 6 cubes, put them in a cup and cut open 6 gels with a little water and let them soak and feed them from the cup all week. By the end of the week that garlic oil has really soaked into the food. I think it really helped my fishes immune system or it could just be a coincidence I guess... I'm making this a monthly habit for my system.
ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2014 at 7:54am
Originally posted by Jeremyw Jeremyw wrote:

SO Mark, 

Ive heard that they cant scientifically prove that garlic helps with Ich. Have you heard the same thing?

I've seen studies that show garlic can help boost a fish's immune system and possibly provide some rudimentary camouflage for the fish. I haven't seen any studies that it kills or affects the reproductive capability of the parasite.
www.reefdup.com
Diving since 2009, reefkeeping since 2007, & fishkeeping since 1987
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
Jeremyw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeremyw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2014 at 7:59am
Ya Ive seen the same studies. I believe this topic is brought up about every 6 months here and on national boards, on if it kills them or not. 

Great post Mark! Love the info! 

J
justchillinuno View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote justchillinuno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2014 at 8:43am
IMO Garlic infused foods SAVED my old tang... I wont say that it cured all that ales but it sure got him eating and thus powering through any health issues... 

Honestly I use Garlic Xtreme for a few days when introducing any new fish into the DT to ensure eating and health!!! Havent lost a fish in a long time ( except the Yellow Eyed Kole Tang my Blue Hippo Beat up...) 

Good Luck!!
55g - RIP - Moved to 90g
36g Bow holding tank
90g Reef Tank
Dreams of many more!
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2014 at 10:53am
I'm pretty sure from personal experience that it does not kill the parasite. I don't know exactly how or why it works but I do know what happens. The white spots disappear within 1-2 days which I assume means that the parasites have left the fish body surface.

I don't know why there are no studies that show how it works or even that it works but so what. Approve There are dozens of things we do for our tanks because they work for us, but for which there are no scientific studies and evidence. There are two reasons I can think of why there are no supporting studies:
1) Scientists have not consulted with me regarding this particular Garlic Oil, used according to my procedure Tongue and
2) not every Garlic product has the same effect. Odorless Garlic Oil has a very weak effect and that seems to be the only stuff in the stores these days. The specific product I recommend and am making available works in most situations, but I highly recommend switching products if the white spots do not disappear after two days. This recommendation should not be surprising. Think of it. If one type of pain reliever worked well for everyone in all situations, there would be only that one bottle on every store shelf and in every medicine cabinet.

Totally eliminating the Ich parasite from our tanks requires the continuous, very involved procedure ReefdUp has provided for us here on the forum. I respect those that choose to follow that procedure.

On the other hand, feeding 1 drop/cube of this particular Garlic Oil is extremely easy to do. It is also lower cost than commercial products at the LFS. Smile

Hope this helps.
Aloha Hug
justchillinuno View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote justchillinuno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2014 at 11:47am
My understanding Garlic increases appetite and interest in food,  which in turn helps get your fish eating, which in turn produces a healthier fish to combat the sickness, Once eating the fish can then fight off the parasite better with its own immune system.....  

Long ago someone told me the main reason fish die with ICK is because of lack of nutrition.... and lack of appetite which causes the fish to starve off and let the ICK take over.... I was flat out told... FEED EM THROUGH IT.... Its worked for me the 1 time I had a fish with ICK.... 
55g - RIP - Moved to 90g
36g Bow holding tank
90g Reef Tank
Dreams of many more!
ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2014 at 1:06pm
Fish usually die from it because the parasites infect their gills or cause wounds that get a secondary infection. Of course, a malnourished fish has less of a chance to fight off an infection or have the energy to breathe thru a gill infestation.
www.reefdup.com
Diving since 2009, reefkeeping since 2007, & fishkeeping since 1987
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2014 at 11:26pm
As far as I can tell, and I've probably seen several hundred fish suffering with Ich, as a general rule garlic does not increase appetite. Fish with Ich that are still eating, will eat their food whether it has garlic or not. If a fish is so sick that it isn't eating, it will only occasionally resume eating due to garlic. 

Infestation of the Ich parasite can quickly sap energy and lead to respiration problems and to starvation, though good food is plentiful. What I observe in fish that have been set free of the Ich parasite is, depending on the severity of the infestation, that they are able to retain their natural strength and energy or to quickly regain their natural strength to fend off illnesses. Maybe I don't know enough about it but I'm not comfortable calling this an enhancement of their immune system.

I understand that some compounds found in garlic will decompose fairly quickly as they are exposed to air. This explains why I have seen only marginal effectiveness from the use of fresh squeezed garlic juice and why bottled minced garlic from the grocery store doesn't seem to work at all. Some methods of commercially processing garlic, making it odorless for example, lead to the same ineffectiveness, whereas other methods of processing seem to preserve its effectiveness.

Again, it's no cure. It does not kill Ich but it appears to prevent the Cryptocaryon irritans parasite from infesting the body surface and gills of the fish. If caught before an infestation is so severe that the fish won't eat, garlic oil ingested by the fish appears to cause the parasite to jump ship.

That's only how I see it.
Aloha Hug

Edited by Mark Peterson - May 15 2014 at 11:59pm
Hogie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hogie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2014 at 12:08am
I remember when Steven Pro came and did a meeting a yr or so ago he talked about garlic for ick and his thoughts were that it does nothing. He said the only benefit he's seen is the fish will eat more and that was slight.

Edited by Hogie - May 16 2014 at 7:31pm
esparkman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote esparkman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2014 at 11:02am
Mark where can I get some of this garlic oil. I don't think I'm going to be able to make it to the next meeting.
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2014 at 2:20pm
Visit, mail or delivery by a fellow hobbyist. PM sent
Jeremyw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeremyw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2014 at 2:26pm
Mark thanks again for this thread! I think its awesome! I love me some garlic! 

J
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2014 at 8:25am
My pleasure. I give back to this hobby because I have been given much. Beer
badfinger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote badfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2014 at 8:54am
I agree that it wont completely get rid of it. But in my personal opinion it helps more then just getting the fish to eat more.

I believe it can make the ich less likely to latch on to the fish. By the way of making the fish smell more like garlic along the same lines as when we eat it and our sweat smells like garlic.

But as has been said before ich will not kill a healthy fish.

I read something online about 3 soldiers who all 3 of them were taking garlic pills. They were the only troops in their unit to not get ticks. Chance? Maybe. Luck? Maybe. Garlic? Maybe
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2014 at 3:58pm
See y'all at the meeting.
Reefer4Ever View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reefer4Ever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2014 at 7:04pm
Meeting?
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2014 at 8:34am
Yep. The WMAS meets the first Thursday of every month. Everyone is welcome, both club members and guests. No admission fee. Meetings are free for everyone. See the copy of directions below.

At the next meeting on June 5th, which btw is the annual WMAS Fragstock, I'll have packages of 25 Garlic Oil Capsules with the printed instruction sheet available for just $3. Smile Aloha

Meetings will be held at the Rose Garden House at Sugar House Park unless otherwise specified.

1602 East 2100 South
Salt Lake City, UT 84106

DIRECTIONS:  From 1300 East and 2100 South (the Sugarhouse area on I-80 near Shopko and Red Lobster).  Drive East up 2100 South like you are going to enter Sugar House Park.  As soon as you pass Sugar House Park, and BEFORE you reach Highland High school you will see the little building on the right hand (south) side of the road.  Got that?  It is between Sugarhouse Park and Highland High on 2100 South.    Just pull on in to the parking lot.  The address is about 1600 East and 2100 South.  Easy parking, easy freeway, and in the middle of town.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic