Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Making a fish less aggressive?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Dan9554880 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan9554880 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Making a fish less aggressive?
    Posted: May 08 2014 at 7:48pm
Hey I wanted to know if there's a way to make a damsel ( 4 striped) less aggressive? I know that damsels are just naturally territorial and aggressive but just wanted to know if someone knows of a way to make more peaceful. The reason I ask that I've gotten a firefish a few weeks ago but this past week or so the damsel has chased him so much that he now hides under a rock. The firefish comes out but then gets chased back in. I have always had this problem with this fish and eveytime I catch him and then realese a week or so later I always end up with the same problem.
Also is there an easier way to catch this fish than breaking down my aquascape?

Thanks
210 Mixed Reef
20 Nuvo nano reef
Learn your tank, not the hobby
DLindquist View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DLindquist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2014 at 9:26pm
I doubt your Firefish will ever stand a chance against your established and territorial damsel. I do believe someone on this board has had success using a big stick to beat the fish into submission.
A government strong enough to give you everything you want, is powerful enough to take everything you have.

DMower View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2014 at 9:30pm
You could try removing the damsel, rearrange the tank a bit, and re introduce in a week or so. 
150 gal reef with 50 gal sump. Reef Octopus DCS-200 Skimmer. AI Sol Blues.
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2014 at 10:12pm
1. Yes fish can be trained, in some cases easier than dogs. The method has been used by hobbyists here for many years. It's almost always successful, especially when used right from the start, when introducing a new fish or when first noticing some bad behavior. Click the Reefkeeping Tips link below and find the topic "Secrets of Introducing New Fish, Fish Training and..."

2. Yes there are many techniques of catching fish without moving/removing rock. That discussion is also listed in the Reefkeeping Tips.

I have one question. Please forgive my ignorance but why, after catching this aggressive damsel, has it gone back into the tank instead of being traded or given away?

Aloha Hug
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2014 at 10:28pm
I should add, Good luck with that 3-Stripe. It and the Domino are the very worst Damn-sels. Not saying it can't be trained, but after 2 weeks of being allowed to chase the Firefish, changing this behavior will be more difficult (not impossible).
Remember the most important thing is that YOU are the Alpha; you are the boss. Approve

Edited by Mark Peterson - May 08 2014 at 10:34pm
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic