Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Alk Problems

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
aporter360 View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aporter360 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Alk Problems
    Posted: May 02 2014 at 7:01pm
I believe I found my Alkalinity Problem! My tap water will test a good 5-7Dkh. My week old tank water after a fresh 90% water change is testing 13Dkh. So I mixed together a sample of salt water at 1.022 salinity and what do ya know, instantly 14Dkh... Does anyone else have this problem? I am currently using the purple 50 gallon bag mix of Instant Ocean and have been from the start. Should I switch to reef salts? My current tank params are 460 calcium and 8.0 ph 13Dkh. Big 3 are in check.
Tank is 2 10 gallons 1 display 1 sump,
Finnex Fugeray marine+ led 15w light + actinic 24in t8 +5000K 20in t5 (I believe my problems with coral growth were due to not enough light output from the led fixture)
2 clarki clowns 1 damsel 1 lawnmower blenny 1 black mollie, frags of green palys and a few small others and that's it, bare bottom.
sump has 200um filter, live sand bed 2-3in, 2lbs live rock or so, Diy skimmer -pulls out some green water (I Need A real one Desperately) Ball of chaeto and stands of grape calurpa, 75W or 100W daylight cfl on the home depot clip on light mount over the cheato, 70gph circulation pump facing upwards  creating waves and water movement in sump, and 2x 225GPH return pumps. (tanks are side by side so return only has to climb inches.) so turnover is around 400gph and I have no other water pumps in the main tank, so all flow is now coming from these two pumps directed to different areas of the tank.) AND that's about it, would be glad to post up pictures, any advice on my setup would be appreciated. Maybe this could help solve water parameter problems but I think its the salt. Oh and temp is constant around 78
THANKS!
Andrew
DLindquist View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DLindquist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2014 at 7:17pm
Never had that problem as I've never used tap water for my aquarium. Others will say they've never used anything but tap water and had great results. So take it for what it's worth.
A government strong enough to give you everything you want, is powerful enough to take everything you have.

ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2014 at 7:32pm
If you already have high alk, switching to a reef salt will just make it worse.
www.reefdup.com
Diving since 2009, reefkeeping since 2007, & fishkeeping since 1987
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2014 at 8:05am
There is much about this hobby that cannot be dealt with in a forum. It's so much better to visit and chat while looking at a setup. I'm still open to visiting you to see your setup and my home is always open to hobbyists that want to pick my brain.

Aloha.
Mark Hug
808-345-1049 call/text/visit
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Lewy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2014 at 4:52pm
I had this problem. Tried to fix by doseing Ca but didn't work well. the fix was pretty simple RO only.
40 gal w/ 20 sump
Bryce View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bryce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2014 at 7:34pm
Why are you doing 90% water changes if im reading your post right?
65g Reef
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aporter360 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2014 at 8:05pm
i only do 10% water change, this 90% water change was due to an accudental ammonia spike (only have a 15 gallom system so it was cheap and worthwhile to get ammonia down quickly thru a bog water change)... but ive had this problem for a while and tried to rule out everything that could be possible.. sounds like i should try ro water only... it just confused me how the freshly mixed water would have an alk of 14...

Edited by pilotx44 - May 04 2014 at 8:06pm
Bryce View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bryce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2014 at 1:32pm
If you start with water with dKH of 5-7 and mix up salt that has a balanced Ca/Alk then yea you can easily get up to 14 dKH and like Nikki said going to a reef salt if you use that same tap water is just going to make is worse, as others have stated its best to use RO water or even better RODI, they sell it a most local fish stores for 0.20 to 0.30 a gallon or you can pick up your own RO/DI filter. With a system your size I would just get it at a local fish store as long as you can haul a few 5 gallon jugs. A 15 gallon system only needs small water changes every few weeks if you get things balanced out. I would be interested in seeing pictures as I have not seen too many 15 gallon systems with a sump, that's pretty cool.
65g Reef
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aporter360 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2014 at 7:51pm
I will be using rodi from now on, pics are in the thread under softies as palys browning, pretty simple, two 10 gallons one in front of the other. I will start a tank build thread soon as I progress and get this fully broken in as I just added a new metal halide, 6015 pump and 200 gallon skimmer. Its mainly a frag tank with a few display fish. First marine tank so I plan on making this a frag only and moving fish to a fish only big display. Might figure how to plumb into main system as I now have equipment for both. should be fun.
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aporter360 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2014 at 7:52pm
On the topic of rodi water, does anybody have a system that I can buy water from for real cheap near sugarhouse so I can stock up. like .10$ a gallon or something.
badfinger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote badfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2014 at 8:39pm
How many gallons you need
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aporter360 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2014 at 10:08pm
i would like to stock up on 10-15 gallons or so. However many cartons I have on me. might grab a few buckets to store water in as I only have spare milk cartons. if I grab buckets then I would want 20-30 gallons.
badfinger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote badfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2014 at 10:15pm
I could do 10-15 gallons for you
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic