Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Will it be ok?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
xlr8r View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote xlr8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Will it be ok?
    Posted: April 23 2014 at 10:02pm
Tomorrow my power will be turned off for about 8 hrs. I have no battery or generator and will be gone all day at work. No one will be home either. I have a 30 gal breeder. 4 nano fish and some softies and LPS. Will it be ok?
When you hear hoofbeats....Think of a zebra
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2014 at 10:09pm
I would say Yes, especially if it gets even just a little sunlight for photosynthesis to produce O2 and absorb CO2.
Aloha Hug
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
jwoo View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jwoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2014 at 10:09pm
8 hours? 30 Gallons? Probably not. In the morning run to petco or petsmart and get a battery operated air pump and air stone. Put some batteries in that bad boy put the air stone in the tank and let it pump delicious life giving oxygen into your tank and you should be golden.
None at the moment
Soon: 72 Gallon Bowfront
jwoo View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jwoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2014 at 10:09pm
Originally posted by Mark Peterson Mark Peterson wrote:

I would say Yes, especially if it gets even just a little sunlight for photosynthesis to produce O2 and absorb CO2.
Aloha Hug

In a 30 gallon? That's crazy talk. I'd not risk it if it were me.
None at the moment
Matt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2014 at 10:25pm
I would think it should be people bag coral and fish and ship them or bring them to work and drop them off.
Matt Savage

"Tattoos and Street Bikes"
xlr8r View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xlr8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2014 at 10:33pm
Now I'm nervous. Maybe I'll have my dad come over every hour or so and do a stir.
Matt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2014 at 11:04pm
Give him a hose and have him blow bubbles haha
Matt Savage

"Tattoos and Street Bikes"
xlr8r View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xlr8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2014 at 12:15am
Haha!! The image is a funny one. I was thinking more like water scoop and dump.
Someone thought that moving power poles in anticipation of road widening was a good idea. Road work that has NO definite future planning. They're thinking MAYBE several years from now if ever.
Mike Savage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2014 at 5:38am
I think it will be fine with that small bio load and would not risk natural light and the possibility of heat. I would also put a battery operated air pump and stone in it if it were mine.

Mike

Jeremyw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeremyw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2014 at 7:17am
I would worry but thats just me. Matt Makes a good point about fish and corals..... but how many do you see die?

Im like Mike I wouldnt Risk the heat from natural light. 

If it were me I would run and get a small battery pump for the day. 

J
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2014 at 8:37am
The advantages of natural sunlight and very misunderstood and it appears that some hobbyists actually have blatant misconceptions about it. There is no heating issue from indirect sunlight especially when the tank sits in a temperature controlled room/house. Indirect sunlight is very powerful, running photosynthesis to consume CO2 and give off O2. I currently have 40 gal and 55 gal tanks in a ~200 gal system that can sit successfully for days without circulation. I've had dozens of other tanks/systems that could do the same. Please keep an open mind. Everyone is welcome to come over and learn why I can make this crazy claim.

Aloha,
MarksReef
808-345-1049 call/text before you visit to be sure I can meet you.
750 E Lakepoint Dr. #4V Murray
Jeremyw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeremyw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2014 at 8:43am
Mark, 

His house wont be temperature controlled today just an FYI. Also I would never let my tank go more than an hour or two without circulation the risk is to great. Im glad yours were ok but I know way more people that had issues than people that were ok. 

J

Edited by Jeremyw - April 24 2014 at 8:44am
jwoo View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jwoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2014 at 9:07am
Originally posted by Jeremyw Jeremyw wrote:

Mark, 

His house wont be temperature controlled today just an FYI. Also I would never let my tank go more than an hour or two without circulation the risk is to great. Im glad yours were ok but I know way more people that had issues than people that were ok. 

J

^^^

Exactly. You can buy a battery air pump for ten dollars and not have to worry about. Or you can risk it and you MIGHT be ok and you MIGHT not be ok. We spend so much money in this hobby that losing your livestock over a ten dollar investment is just plain silly and crazy talk. Plus do we even know if his tank is next to sunlight?! Get a ten dollar pump. Don't worry about your tank. Peace of mind is priceless. I know way to many people that have had their entire tanks crash over 8-10 hour power outages to risk it.
None at the moment
xlr8r View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xlr8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2014 at 10:05am
My tank sits opposite of a large south facing window. My tank will respond to the light that comes in before the lights turn on mid-morning. On a day like today the room temp should remain constant.
jwoo View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jwoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2014 at 10:07am
Originally posted by xlr8r xlr8r wrote:

My tank sits opposite of a large south facing window. My tank will respond to the light that comes in before the lights turn on mid-morning. On a day like today the room temp should remain constant.

Hopefully it'll be ok. Personally I'd never risk it but it's your tank. I've been in the hobby way to long and known way to many people on this board who's tanks have crashed over 8 hours to even think about risking it. What can I say I'm a pragmatist and play it safe.
None at the moment
Jeremyw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeremyw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2014 at 10:07am
You might be ok. For me it always worries me because I have seen die off. But hey its a risk. If you have the availability to go and buy a battery powered air stone/pump go do it. If you have the ability to get someone over there 3 or 4 times to stir the water I would. 

I have just put to much time and effort in my tanks to wonder as you probably have too. 

J
xlr8r View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xlr8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2014 at 10:24am
I'm stranded at work. My dad lives close by. For today I may have him go over and give it some flow. Then invest in a battery back up. Thanks guys.
DanhNgo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DanhNgo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2014 at 11:03am

It's time to put in whole house backup generator.  It's a great investment for 10K and you can watch TV and play Xbox while your neighbor is in the dark.

200 Gal Reef

25 Gal Nano Reef
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2014 at 12:36pm
Originally posted by xlr8r xlr8r wrote:

Exactly. Approve
On a cloudy day in winter when the outside temp is in the teens, I'd be concerned. The indoor temp could fall below 60 and there would not be enough light. Though it has turned cool again today, it is warm enough and sunny enough to do the job. I'm so confident about this that if anything is lost I'll be happy to help you replace it.

Aloha Hug
xlr8r View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xlr8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2014 at 1:10pm
Originally posted by DanhNgo DanhNgo wrote:

It's time to put in whole house backup generator.  It's a great investment for 10K and you can watch TV and play Xbox while your neighbor is in the dark.

So when will you have that $ 10k ready for me to pick up?
One of those would be nice.

Edited by xlr8r - April 24 2014 at 1:13pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic