Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Sick Montipora?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
JimSmith View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimSmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sick Montipora?
    Posted: March 19 2014 at 9:15pm
I have a Red Montipora that its cover by this white-ish substance. I tried to blow some water to remove the particles, but they seemed to reappeared the next day. I was wondering if you have seen anything like that and how can I fix it before it spreads to the other Montiporas. Thanks for your help!

LakeCityReefs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakeCityReefs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2014 at 9:41pm
I'm interested in seeing what this is.

I just did a quick search and the only hints that come up are.
1- Montipora eating nudibranch which would be very tiny and found in the underside if the coral.
2- Another coral stung the Monti.

Can you see anything on it? Has another coral been close to it? Are perameters stable and in a good range? Can you think of anything that has changed in the tank over the last 3 weeks?
Could it be RTN? The only coral I've ever lost was a pink digitatus. It turned gray and half of it died a week after going into my tank. It turned white and then gray. I broke off the infected piece and saved the other half of the coral.

I'm new to reef keeping but hear are just a few questions off the top of my head.

Edited by LakeCityReefs - March 19 2014 at 9:54pm
LakeCityReefs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakeCityReefs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2014 at 9:55pm
Nevermind. I'm way off. I just picked up on the fact that you were able to blow it off with some water. Now it's starting to sound like a bacteria.

Edited by LakeCityReefs - March 19 2014 at 9:56pm
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2014 at 7:29am
Particles doesn't sound like bacteria. It sounds like something dropping from above. I've lost tons of coral for many different reasons. Thanks for the pic. Thumbs Up From what I can see, these are the things I would look at:
Something dropping from above, like salt off the lights?
New lighting?
Salinity level?
Alkalinity level?
Calcium level?
Any changes in the tank up to 2 weeks before this began?
Answers to those questions will help figure it out and a pic of the entire tank could help.

Aloha,
Mark Hug

Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
JimSmith View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimSmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2014 at 7:20pm
Nothing that I can think of has changed. I took a water sample to the pet store last week and they checked all the parameters and they were fine. There are no other corals touching it, I think the picture does show one that its about 2"- 3" away. Nothing else in the tank looks sad... 

Well, I did add those little bugs (I can't remember their name) to feed my Mandarin fish. I got them from a pet store that grows them. I did pour them near the Montipora... Do you think those bugs could harm the coral?
PDoug View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PDoug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2014 at 12:27pm
Salt Creep falling down on it?
(307)679-7898 Phillip Douglass 75 Gallon Reef Tank
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2014 at 1:53pm
Whoops. I must have missed the March 20 response and question. No, the addition of some bugs should not not have caused it. How is the coral doing today?
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
-TYR- View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote -TYR- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2014 at 6:17am
This is just off the top of my head but could it be spawning?
Blub Blub
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic