Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Starting New Project after a Couple of Years.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
mikebrennan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikebrennan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Starting New Project after a Couple of Years.
    Posted: March 13 2014 at 4:02pm
Its been a while since I've posted here but I'm planning a new setup.  I've got the itch again after sold my last three tanks before a moved a couple of years ago, and I think a sufficient amount of time has past for my short memory span to forgot about all the money I spent back then so now I am back and ready to reef.  Here is my setup...

Just bought about 140lbs of live rock, letting it dry now last owner said he was cycling then decided to bail on project because he broke his tank during the move (claims no pests on rock).  Going to cycle with live rock and live sand.  I am looking to setup a reef tank with an octopus and a few fish, (small critters in clean up crew will probably avoid getting eaten, have owned two octupus before and they can usually live with small critters and fish, i know there is always a chance that fish will get eaten but I am in love with octopi and reef so i cant help it!) 

Getting a custom rimless cube 24x24x24 60 gal with a custom stand and 15 gallon sump (I wish i could get a bigger one but this is all that will fit in the stand i guess), with aquaillumination Hydra 52 LED Fixture, hearing great things are happening with LED tech. since I've left and I'm excited to try them out.  This particular panel has a controller that you can tinker with to mimic natural lighting.    

Going to take this project very slow feeling rusty its been a couple of years since I've had a tank.

Excited to get this project started!

Edited by mikebrennan - March 13 2014 at 4:07pm
Teknik777 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Teknik777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2014 at 4:04pm
Welcome back!
220 G SPS Display.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikebrennan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2014 at 4:07pm
Thank you!
Matt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2014 at 4:23pm
Great to have you back.

Matt Savage

"Tattoos and Street Bikes"
Mike Savage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2014 at 4:45pm
Welcome back Mike, I look forward to following your build!

Dion Richins View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dion Richins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2014 at 6:04pm
I love octopi!! this will be fun to watch!
Bad "censored" Cabinets
Best quality in the valley! He is one sexy bald guy, even with out a finger!(MAC)
reefnfeef View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reefnfeef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2014 at 6:17pm
I have a hydra 52 over a 60 cube. You're welcome to check it out sometime. I got the director for wireless control and love it.
aaaaaaaaaaaaaannd.... I'm broke
Jeremyw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeremyw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2014 at 6:39pm
Welcome back, glad you are here! Keep us updated !

J

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikebrennan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2014 at 7:32pm
How is the coverage on it?  does it cover your whole cube?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikebrennan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2014 at 8:09pm
Decided to go a little bigger 

36x24x24 90 gallon should be another few weeks the stand is ready to go, although i think im going to repaint it to match my furniture. Equipment is slowly trickling in from the internets wondering if getting another hydra 52 is necessary since I'm getting a tank that is a foot longer.  

Has anyone had any experience with the classic reef octopus 150 skimmer?

Dion Richins View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dion Richins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2014 at 6:52pm
I would definitely go 2 lights. I run 5 on my 5'
Bad "censored" Cabinets
Best quality in the valley! He is one sexy bald guy, even with out a finger!(MAC)
reefnfeef View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reefnfeef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2014 at 6:54pm
Supposedly the 52 has a 36x36 spread.
aaaaaaaaaaaaaannd.... I'm broke

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikebrennan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2014 at 8:33pm
Thanks, these things are tiny, i thought they would be a lot bigger.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2014 at 9:40pm
That is the perfect size for a 90 gallon IMHO.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikebrennan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2014 at 4:56pm
Just got her up and running.  

Edited by mikebrennan - July 03 2014 at 9:38pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2014 at 5:08pm
That's looking good Mike!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikebrennan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2014 at 8:51am
Thanks mike

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikebrennan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2014 at 9:39pm
Crappy picture of my black tang and my picasso clownfish

Reefer4Ever View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Reefer4Ever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2014 at 10:07pm
Welcome back and right back at it as if you never left. The tank looks amazing.
90 gal reef w/refugium
24 gal softie tank
11 gal nano anemone tank
5 gal fresh water

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2014 at 11:06pm
That's lookin' good Mike!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic