Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

First time raising Black Ice clownfish

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
Snowwhire View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snowwhire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2014 at 11:46pm
Whoo hoo! We've made it through to 10 days old! The larvae are doing great and I feel like all my research, preparation and hard work is paying off. Most have started or gone through metamorphosis and now I feel like I can breathe!
Marie
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2014 at 7:11am
Clap
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Snowwhire View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snowwhire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2014 at 2:52pm
They are earning their stripes. Most have gone through metamorphosis I think there is only 5 or 6 that haven't completed it yet. I was expecting to lose a bunch in meta but I haven't lost any in that phase... knock on wood. Most have their first stripe and some have started showing a second.

Does anyone have any knowledge of iodine dosing for enhancing their color?

Marie
Snowwhire View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snowwhire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2014 at 2:54pm
Quick update...They are 13 days old now.
Here is a short video of them :) enjoy!

Day 13 black ice clownfish
Marie
mOnster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mOnster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2014 at 3:14pm
That's so cool !!!
love2skiutah View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote love2skiutah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2014 at 3:28pm
I love it!!  Very cool to see this
Snowwhire View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snowwhire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2014 at 5:27pm
Glad you guys like it. It's been very cool to watch them grow. It's definitely a rewarding experience.
Marie
Mike Savage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2014 at 8:27pm
Very cool!

Snowwhire View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snowwhire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2014 at 1:01pm
Marie
backwards32 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backwards32 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2014 at 2:50pm
so what is the status of these little guys? how many of them survived?
Snowwhire View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snowwhire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2014 at 11:18pm
Day 18 black ice clownfish

They are doing great! I have 50 plus. I lost majority in the first two days when I was trying to figure out the lighting. I had about 60 after day 7-12 then lost a few that didn't make it through meta. I haven't lost any since day 14. They are eating baby brine and crushed flakes now and developing their stripes and color. I started fortifying the baby brine with selco at day 12.
I can't wait to do more now that I know more I believe I would have a lot better survival rate.
Marie
Snowwhire View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snowwhire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2014 at 11:24pm
Don't mind the quality of the pics. I've been taking all of then with my cell phone. Here's some of the Lil guys!

Marie
bmac2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bmac2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2014 at 11:26pm
it is funny, those are probably 1 inch pipe, but with those fish against them they look like 2 foot sewer pipe!!  Man those are small and cute.  Wish I had some of them!!!
Aquarium Creations 300 gallon tank
Stand by Dion
Snowwhire View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snowwhire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2014 at 11:31pm
Haha sewer pipe ^^^...its true it does. They are actually 2 inch pvc but yes the fish are tiny! And cute haha.
They are getting personalities too! It's fun to watch them interact with each other.

Edited by Snowwhire - March 06 2014 at 11:42pm
Marie
Snowwhire View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snowwhire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2014 at 11:41pm
Marie
Snowwhire View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snowwhire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2014 at 3:10pm
Update... Some have begun to get their third stripe. They are 20 days old and growing.
Haven't had any losses since Meta. They are eating baby brine and crushed flakes now.

Day 20 Black ice clownfish

Marie
Hogie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hogie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2014 at 3:28pm
That's so cool!
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2014 at 5:19pm
Thanks for the videos. It's so awesome to see them wiggle around in their groups. It's also cool when the groups merge and separate.
Originally posted by Snowwhire Snowwhire wrote:

Does anyone have any knowledge of iodine dosing for enhancing their color?
  Dry processed flake and pellet foods typically make colors more drab. Foods with fresh algae make colors brighter. Carotenes in the algae eaten by Brine Shrimp and then eaten by Flamingos are what make Flamingos bright pink. Flamingos turn white when their diet lacks Carotenes. Yellow Tangs are brighter yellow because of the algae they eat (even though the algae itself is not that colorful). This color enhancing characteristic is just one of the positive effects of algae in an animals diet. Though an animal may not eat algae directly, it utilizes the carotenes eaten by its prey.

Of course these clowns of yours will eventually turn black, but I believe even that coloration is enhanced by algae. This seems to be the case with a black clown I recently acquired at about 1/2". It has grown to 3/4" and has grown blacker as it ages, eats the algae rich frozen meaty foods and picks a little on the algae in its tank. I rarely feed dry processed foods.

Aloha,
Mark Hug

P.S.
I believe that fish also reach an age where they begin to utilize Carotenes.

Post Larval Yellow Tang

YT at settlement

Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Snowwhire View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snowwhire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2014 at 9:12pm
That is a very interesting read Mark. It makes complete sense. I add spirulina in with their food and enrich the brine with selco. Which both help with their markings be more defined. I have just read a few things on iodine dosing helping with this but decided the trace minerals in the water would do the same thing.   Also the fish vitamins added with enrichment actually has a small amount of iodine in it among other things. They are coloring very nicely and right on track so it's not something I am worried about its just interesting.
Marie
peiji View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peiji Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2014 at 1:53pm
Raising clowns is totally on my aquarium bucketlist. Right after jellyfish and before or after seahorses. Where did you go for most of your info on how to do it? 
Jared Page
Highland, UT
Graphic Designer
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
  Share Topic