Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

no power Electricity

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
evan127 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote evan127 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: no power Electricity
    Posted: June 05 2016 at 8:41am
Before I invested in back up equipment, I would do everything by hand. I would always open up the window near the tank just a bit to get fresh air into the room, no matter the season. I would use a turkey baster to shoot air into the water of the display and refugium in 3 to 5 minute increments. I would use just a standard thermometer to check the water temperature every half an hour. When it needed to be heated, I would take out a gallon of water at a time and heat it on the stove until it was about 85 degrees. I would keep heating the water until the system's temperature was about 80 degrees. Luckily I have never had the power go out for more than 10 hours. Turkey basting the water and driving as much air into different parts of the tank and heating the water on the stove, I've never lost a fish or coral due to the power being out.
scfurse77 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scfurse77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2016 at 2:43pm
Just my 2 cents if anyone cares.

Everyone with a salt water fish tank should own a generator. Of course it's just my opinion but most people i know in the hobby have thousands of dollars in their tanks. It is a little easier for me to say because i own a generator for Tailgaiting/Camping anyways. But still...... Here is one that is on Amazon for $125 and this would be more than enough to run most peoples tanks while even keeping the tank lights on. 

http://www.amazon.com/PowerPro-56101-Starting-Portable-Generator/dp/B00J261PGQ?ie=UTF8&keywords=generator&qid=1464726819&ref_=sr_1_2&sr=8-2

Edited by scfurse77 - May 31 2016 at 2:46pm
CADLIGHTS 42 Versa, 20 Gallon Sump, ATI Dimmable 8 Bulb T5 w/SbReef Lights Sbar, Bubble Muggus Skimmer and really mad wife :)
Krazie4Acans View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krazie4Acans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2016 at 12:23pm
The Macro algae in your refugium produces oxygen for the inhabitants of the sump. Light might be more important to your sump than water movement.
My ocean.
90g (yup, won it!), 40g, 28g, & 10g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
Tank Thread:
Baghtal View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baghtal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2016 at 12:15pm
What about water movement in the sump during an extended power outage (2+ Hours). I've got a power head on a battery backup to keep things churning during them, but how do all the critters in my refugium do without the flow?
I like to think that the moon is there, even when I'm not looking at it.
~Albert Einstein
phys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2014 at 2:12am
Another thing you can do.... Invest in a small solar panel that will charge a small battery to use a power inverter on which will run a small koralia for several hours considering they only require a few watts to run.
mOnster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mOnster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2014 at 10:43pm
Thanks Mark !! It's great to know all that ..
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2014 at 10:00pm
Good to hear that power was restored after ~2 hours. I assume there was no loss?

As the water cools, it holds more O2. Thumbs Up
As water cools, metabolism slows so the animals need less O2. Thumbs Up
Reduced flow slows the delivery of O2, export of CO2 and waste away from coral. Thumbs Down
Coral and fish can usually survive many hours of reduced flow. Thumbs Up
Coral and fish can survive temperatures of 65 and sometimes lower for extended periods. Thumbs Up

The way I see it, during extended power outages, it's okay to let the water cool but try to keep it moving a little. As usual, water movement is more important, even critical for SPS coral, so having a powerhead or air bubbler on a battery can save lives.

Another solution would be to drop the water level around the SPS so they can shed some waste and get some air like they would when exposed during low tide. Coral are genetically programmed to slime as a protection from drying out during low tide. A little splashing water helps during low tide.

Of course this happened after sundown, but during the day:
Algae in the system produces O2, so moving algae from the Refugium to display can help a lot. Thumbs Up
Even in faint indirect sunlight algae produces some O2. Thumbs Up

Aloha,
Mark Hug

Edited by Mark Peterson - January 31 2014 at 10:12pm
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
mOnster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mOnster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2014 at 9:52pm
Thanks everybody the power it's back on , appreciate all ur help and time :)
ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2014 at 8:59pm
We went 9 days without power...it can be done. We used a cordless drill and attached an egg beater and rubberized bicycle hook to it to stir the tank. We also used the battery powered airstones. We decided to ensure we would never have another power outage by buying a generator.
www.reefdup.com
Diving since 2009, reefkeeping since 2007, & fishkeeping since 1987
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
Aquarium Creations View Drop Down
Pet Store
Pet Store

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aquarium Creations Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2014 at 8:34pm
I have a generator if you need it
Aquarium Maintenance,Consulting,Custom Built Glass Aquariums
Rimless/Euro,24Hr Emergency Service 8015485201
Www.UtahAquariumDoctors.com
[email protected]

mOnster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mOnster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2014 at 7:44pm
Originally posted by Nick801 Nick801 wrote:

You could take a cup of water and scoop the top of your tank water and poor it back in that should be better than nothing

but really watch your fish breathing.... if they start breathing heavy churn more water... if they look fine though you should be ok for a couple hours

Ok thanks nick
mOnster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mOnster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2014 at 7:42pm
Originally posted by badfinger badfinger wrote:

I have a generator if you want to borrow it.... I will need to make sure it starts first. I will text you

Thanks man appreciated it
Nick801 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick801 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2014 at 7:42pm
You could take a cup of water and scoop the top of your tank water and poor it back in that should be better than nothing

but really watch your fish breathing.... if they start breathing heavy churn more water... if they look fine though you should be ok for a couple hours
badfinger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote badfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2014 at 7:31pm
I have a generator if you want to borrow it.... I will need to make sure it starts first. I will text you
mOnster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mOnster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2014 at 7:12pm
So the power just went out in my area and I'm wondering how long can fish corals shrimps etc be ok with out heater pupms skimmer ? I'm kinda worry
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic