Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Corals can hurt?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
charbel101 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote charbel101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Corals can hurt?
    Posted: January 30 2014 at 8:38am
Is that true that corals can sting human? and i heard that zoas have the worst toxic ever for human "palytoxin" so ur opinion on this?
We don't keep fish we keep water =)
Krazie4Acans View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krazie4Acans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2014 at 8:48am
Yes corals can sting humans. Some more than others but all sting at some level. Most of the time you will never notice or have a problem with it unless you have a cut or scrape that gets exposed to the coral tissue.

Palyotoxin is very bad stuff. Just moving Zoa's and Paly's isn't usually a problem. If you are fragging them then wear gloves and safety glasses. If that stuff gets in your eyes it can blind you. If it gets into your blood it can actually kill you. Nothing to freak out about. Just be safe.
My ocean.
90g (yup, won it!), 40g, 28g, & 10g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
Tank Thread:

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote charbel101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2014 at 8:51am
wow man is there any coral or any peacefull coral that cannot sting? i don't want to risk it...
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krazie4Acans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2014 at 9:05am
Like I said it's not something you really need to worry about if all you are doing it buying corals and putting them in your tank. I have only known one person to ever have a reaction to corals while doing that. Most people will never feel a sting or even know that it's a possibility because it's not a problem.

It's the corals way of catching food and defending itself. I wouldn't worry about it. Just make sure you wash your hands well after handling any coral and don't touch your face after you have been touching coral.

Treat it the same as you would with cooking with hot peppers (jalapeno). It's really not a big problem and shouldn't keep you from enjoying a beautiful reef.
My ocean.
PADI Advanced Open Water
Tank Thread:

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote charbel101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2014 at 9:34am
But what if im allergic? and i didn't know that..

builderofdreams View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote builderofdreams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2014 at 9:58am
Wear shoulder lenght gloves whenputting hands in the tank. Problem solved.

Edited by builderofdreams - January 30 2014 at 10:02am
It's Not a Hobby It's an Obsession
150&210 Gallons of Madness and. Sanity! 801-850-4915

http://www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=65135&title=builderofdreams-feedback-post
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2014 at 9:59am
There really aren't any safe corals. If there were they'd get eaten. You're keeping living toxic animals.

Adam
Come to a meeting, they’re fun!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote charbel101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2014 at 10:04am
I don't want to die lol :p im still young Big smile

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote builderofdreams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2014 at 10:06am
Buy a puppy.

http://www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=65135&title=builderofdreams-feedback-post

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote charbel101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2014 at 10:16am
Lol no seriously guys but i heard there was aquarist that died from a zoa i don't if this is true or not but that's what i heard
Jimbo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2014 at 10:28am
Be careful. They can hurt your wallet too. ;)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote charbel101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2014 at 10:31am
Tongue lol alright :p

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote builderofdreams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2014 at 10:35am
T here are plenty of horror stories associated with keeping saltwater livestock. Choice you have to make. For me personally the enjoyment far out ways the risks.

Crazy Tarzan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crazy Tarzan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2014 at 10:41am
lion fish can sting you, so can most urchins.  Moray eels can remove fingers when they are bigger.  Triggers can take a chunk out of you.

Anemone's cause reactions in some people.  Some bristle worms can cause stings worse than a bee.  Cone snails can kill you--faster than most other animals even.

Corals can be toxic too.

But we still keep all of these in our tanks, and the incidents of issues are probably less than happens in their natural settings.

It's palyothoa (sp?) that can be very toxic, and usually only after cutting/fragging.  Simply use basic precautions if you are worried. 

IE gloves, safety glasses, wash hands, don't get in mouth/eyes etc.
Was that in there yesterday? Casper--WY windier than ?

Down to a 20, soon to double or nothing
love2skiutah View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote love2skiutah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2014 at 10:50am
Adam, do you think this is true?  2nd deadliest poison?  

http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/notrocketscience/2011/04/05/worlds-2nd-deadliest-poison-in-an-aquarium-store-near-you/#.UuqRdHddXYU

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote charbel101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2014 at 11:09am
wow :o is this is true ?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote builderofdreams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2014 at 11:17am
YES!!! It is 100% true. Our US military actually use a chemical from a Sea Fan in their arsinal of chemical warfare.
 You gotta remeber these little guys have Mastered the Art of Chemical Warefare. They were here millions of years before us and will be here after we are gone.
DO NOT Underestimate any coral just cause its small. Common sense goes along way.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote charbel101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2014 at 11:20am
But i mean this is very rare to happen... all people sometimes use bare hands and move their corals 
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krazie4Acans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2014 at 11:24am
It's rare. It can happen. if you're worried wear gloves. now sit down and watch your tank for a little while and get your blood pressure back down so you can think straight. Know that it's there, take precautions, enjoy your reef. Done.
My ocean.
PADI Advanced Open Water
Tank Thread:

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote builderofdreams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2014 at 11:32am
There is no way to answer your question. Some have never had a problem and some not so lucky.there is no way to tell how theses chemicals will affect each individual. We know very little of about the chemicals ALL these animals are capable of producing let alone the affects on the human body.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic