Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Advise for a 20 gallon sump?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
craigory23 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote craigory23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Advise for a 20 gallon sump?
    Posted: January 02 2014 at 11:38am
I'm hoping to build a 20 gal sump for my 30 gal tank to save $! I'm looking for any advise on must haves in the sump and theories on best set ups. I was leaning towards something like this:

Opinions on if I need a uv sterilizer? I'm new to all of this. What size of return pump do I need? If my tank isn't predrilled, what's the best way to pull the water down to the sump? What's a good size for my skimmer? I know nothing! Thanks for any help.
Akira View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Akira Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2014 at 3:30am
Just my O2 , but i run a 3 chamber also . I run my overflow into a tie on filter sock and my skimmer in the same chamber.  My water is an over then under baffle your is opposite . Middle chamber is my retun to tank and pump for my recirc skimmer . I feed my fuge on the far right with my return pump. My return also feeds my carbon reactor. 

My drain  return is is a herbie and i use a gate valve to slow my flow as I use my return pump for other things also. This gives my sump a slower flow for longer contact time with my skimmer fuge etc. So my return is just a return and my main tank flow is by power heads , closed loop etc. 

Many different option and all have pros and cons , This is just what works for me. I see you dont have many posts here so if you want to talk send me a PM. Also there are a few in Logan  and Im sure they would let you come see what they do .
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2014 at 8:20am
Aloha,

My advice would be not to do it. IMO, a 30 gallon tank is just too small to be messing with a sump/refugium. (Yes, there are many out there, so I'm not saying it cannot or should not be done.)
I have done many 30 gal tanks and even 75 gal tanks without Sump/Refugiums (and no skimmers Shocked ). The key to making these successful is in the biology. Biology is awesome. It does marvelous things in nature and can do just as marvelously in our little aquariums if we encourage it. It starts with algae. The basis of all life is algae.

Also, because the tank is not drilled, a HOB Overflow would be required. These can be problematic. The risk is that tank water floods onto the floor. Spouses tend to get really bothered with salt water on the floor. Wink

I may have been the first hobbyist in Utah to set up a Refugium (it had a HOB Overflow Smile) and I still find the Refugium to be a very successful technique, but in recent years my situation just did not allow for sumps, so I developed ways to go sumpless. Here are pics of just a few of my sumpless, skimmerless aquariums.

If you decide you still want to develop your sump/Refugium idea, I have done many HOB Overflows. I could show pics & plans and describe how to minimize the risk of flooding. Let me know.
I also try to keep things simple. The less complicated, the less risk of failure. My refugiums also follow the KISS principle. Click here for the simple Refugium thread which is also listed in the Reefkeeping Tips.

Have fun and let us know how it goes.

Mark Hug
808-345-1049 call/text/visit anytime
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic