Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Lighting for a Biocube

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
fishyman19 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fishyman19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Lighting for a Biocube
    Posted: December 16 2013 at 10:30am
My wife has a 12 gallon Nano cube i think is what it's called. Pretty much the same thing as a bio cube. The previous owner had taken off the lid and for lighting is using some cheapo led set up that hangs on the back. It does ok, but I have been noticing lately that some of her corals like her Ric's torch coral, leather and even a few zoas aren't opening as well as they should and just don't look good. So I'm guessing it may need a new light. I just have no idea what lighting to get for a cube of that size. I have been looking at the Par 38 bulbs and was just curious to see from you all how good of a bulb that would be for a cube?
90 Gallon mixed reef. Wife's 12 gallon nano cube mixed reef!
Softplan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Softplan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2013 at 10:47am
I love led lights.  You can put them together yourself and save some cash.  Check out this link.

I would highly recommend the dimmable drivers so you can acclimate your corals and also pick the intensity that works best for your tank.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fishyman19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2013 at 10:50am
So how about if I'm an idiot and don't know how to do this? Can it still be done fairly easy?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fishyman19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2013 at 10:51am
Those also only work on a the hood. Her tank doesn't have a hood.
Softplan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Softplan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2013 at 10:52am
They provide pretty good instructions.  It is also worth getting the solderless kits, big time saver.  If you get stuck or need a little help I or someone else on the forum would be willing to help out either on the forum, phone, or in person.

Edited by Softplan - December 16 2013 at 10:52am

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fishyman19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2013 at 10:56am
I don't see how this would be cheaper.......Sorry. Looking at it, it's 130 bucks for just the kit, which yes is cheaper. But it only fits into the main hood(which she doesn't have, I could build one though) and for the dimable set up it needs a controller. So that's looking like another 400 bucks. The only option without spending the money would be for the non dimable, but I agree with you that the dimable is much better.
Softplan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Softplan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2013 at 10:58am
You can buy the manual dimmer $30

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fishyman19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2013 at 11:00am
So let me retract my foot from my mouth lol. When the site says that you need a controller is it talking about the one on the link? or like a apex or something?
Softplan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Softplan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2013 at 11:02am
You could do one of their other kits and use the hanging kits.  I am using the $30 dimming kit, it works great.  No apex controller right now.

Edited by Softplan - December 16 2013 at 11:03am
Krazie4Acans View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krazie4Acans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2013 at 11:04am
You can use either. You don't have to have an apex. The $30 one will work fine for manual dimming.
My ocean.
90g (yup, won it!), 40g, 28g, & 10g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
Tank Thread:
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic