Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Dosing 2 Part without pumps

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
aceofspadeskb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aceofspadeskb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dosing 2 Part without pumps
    Posted: November 22 2013 at 1:03pm

Another topic with a million opinions, so naturally I'm seeking more!  Yours! LOL

I can't afford dosing pumps (yet) but my alk and calcium are starting to read low so I want to start dosing 2-part.  How should I do it without automated pumps? 
ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2013 at 4:06pm
Pour it into a measuring cup...dump it into the tank.

Dosing pumps complicate the matter since you have to adjust them to add the right amount at the right time.

Just measure your levels, use the link below to calculate how much to add, measure it out, add it, and repeat. I recommend getting your levels to a good spot, don't do anything for 4+ days, then retest. Find out how much you need to dose (say 200ml), then divide that amount by 4 days. The result is your daily dosing requirement (50ml as the example.)

http://reef.diesyst.com/flashcalc/flashcalc.html

You could also use a gravity-feed system like they do at hospitals, but the alkalinity supplements will clog them fast. They're ok, but I'd still to a nice dosing pump or manual before a gravity system.

Edited by ReefdUp - November 22 2013 at 4:08pm
www.reefdup.com
Diving since 2009, reefkeeping since 2007, & fishkeeping since 1987
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
Mike Savage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2013 at 4:15pm
I try to add it into a higher flow area and preferably into the sump where it will be diluted some before coming into contact with your corals.

Edited by Mike Savage - November 22 2013 at 4:16pm

Fatman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2013 at 4:49pm
I like to pour it into the return on the tank, sends it to the sump, flows across the chambers to the return, then back to the tank. Should be nice and mixed up by then.

Akira View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Akira Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2013 at 12:26am
I use to use a holding vessel for what i was dosing . Then use a simple drip tube , like what you use for acclimation , Just have to dose over a longer period but its no big deal . Dosed alk 1 day and calc the next.
Softplan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Softplan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2013 at 12:41am
I dose everyday.  Calcium one day and alkalinity the next.  I also test once a week and adjust appropriately.  I keep really good records to see how I'm doing.  It took me about a month to get it dialed in.
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2013 at 1:01pm
Originally posted by ReefdUp ReefdUp wrote:

Pour it into a measuring cup...dump it into the tank.

I agree completely. There is nothing complicated about manual dosing. Test, dose a little and test again to see if the dose was enough.

Yesterday the Alk on one of my new tanks (set up for 4 months - started at 11 dKH) had finally fallen to around 8 dKH so I added about 1/2 cup of baking soda solution. Today it tests around 8.5 so now I know that around 1/2 cup of solution will raise it .5 dKH. I'll add another 1/2 cup and test in a week or two to see how fast the tank is eating Alkalinity.

I need to tell Nikki and others "Mahalo" for pointing out that Red Sea makes good test kits for less money. I just bought a Red Sea Reef Foundation test kit (Alk-Ca-Mg, online for only $39) and compared it to my Salifert. The Alk is different by almost 1 dKH between the two kits but that's okay. I don't worry about being too exact with parameters. That's why we speak of levels staying within a "range". After just a few years of doing this I have found no value in worrying too much about exactness.

Aloha,
Mark Hug

Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic